NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 752 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using tramadol to cope with pain/depression.

MellowMind has a spectacular aura aboutMellowMind has a spectacular aura aboutMellowMind has a spectacular aura aboutMellowMind has a spectacular aura aboutMellowMind has a spectacular aura aboutMellowMind has a spectacular aura aboutMellowMind has a spectacular aura about

Default Using tramadol to cope with pain/depression.

Hello all. After further research on this issue I have seen both stand-points.
    Some say it should be used for depression, others disagree.

I do have legitimate pain that I would be using it for but the anti-depressant properties would be very helpful to me right now.

This wouldn't be long-term, maybe a couple months if that. I am currently on a waiting list to see a low-income shrink, and it's going to take me a month before I can see a doctor. Until then, I'd like some honest feedback on how tramadol has worked for you.

I also have severe muscle tension and migraines.

Thanks for your feedback.
    Used to be "panickedmind".

2. Hi, Mellow mind.
    I am a chronic pain patient, with GAD and panic disorder.
    Im not a doctor, or a pharmacist, but I have spent many years in the trenches. I will share with you about my experience with tramadol. Hopefully I can give your some insight that helps.
    I was prescribed 200 mg of tramadol a day for pain, for 4 years straight. It was a life saver for pain, and a side effect was that it helped my GAD (not panic attacks).

I do not know anything about its effects on depression.

When I was taken off of tramadol, I was not weaned off. It was sudden. I had no withdraw symptoms at all. But, I was only taking it for pain (the help with the GAD was a nice side effect, but, I was focused on the pain) and I have read if you take it for pain, you will not become addicted. Apparently, I did not.

I do not know if someone else would.

It will not work for migraines, yes for muscle tension. BUT, if your migrains are tension related...I suspect it may lessen the amount of them. (They are the absolute pits, aren't they!)

Without withdrawal symptoms, and considering how much it helped me, I have a positive experience to report. At the same time, I was careful not to take too much on a bad day. I did stick to what was prescribed.

I wish you the best with your psychiatrist! I hope they get you in really soon!
    Last edited by mamakat; 08-26-2012 at 10:16 PM.
    Helpful MellowMind, Racerx, IGoeOn, Gadget Rated helpful
    Like Cash, slick76 liked this post

i feel like tramadols could possibly make migraines worse, i know they would for me. also i would not take them for depression, when you quit you will probably be depressed more than when you started, just saying....

@MellowMind I to have severe muscle tension in my neck and shoulder which I believe is what triggers my headaches/migraines. I currently take relpax for my headaches and it works really well. My problem is that I have to take it multiple times a week. I have a doctors appointment next week and I'm hoping to try some different muscle relaxers to help with the muscle tension and hopefully stop the headaches.

Good luck and I hope you find some relief because I know how bad it can be.
    Helpful MellowMind Rated helpful
    Like halohippe liked this post

iamslh32 will become famous soon enoughiamslh32 will become famous soon enoughiamslh32 will become famous soon enoughiamslh32 will become famous soon enough

I take tramadol for lupus pain, what started as low back/spine and is now at varying times my hips, my shoulders, my knees, my hands, my wrists...whatever is flaring. I guess the low back is constant. I stayed at a very high dosage for years, 11-13 tabs per day (NOT recommended) and now take 3-5 per day (and 5 is very rare and only if I have a particularly bad flare).

I've found tramadol is more effective for pain relief if you take it in low doses. I Take it in combination with high doses of aspirin and with baclofen to alleviate my pain. Sometimes, especially now that I"ve reduced my dosage so much, I think the aspirin and baclofen are more helpful ongoing with the tramadol basically maintaining my mood and overcoming an occasional horrible flare in a joint region. I am having a particularly bad hip and knee flare today, and have taken 4 tramadol, (1 in the am, 2 about 6 hours later, and 1 about 8 hours later). Taking two tablets put me to sleep and was enough to put the pain in the background.

I've taken tramadol a long time. If I stop suddenly, I don't feel like a truck dropped on me, but I do get restless legs and have trouble sleeping besides being tired and cranky.

I also have a history of GAD and depression, that for many years off and on would run my life off track. I stopped taking all psychiatric medication about 3 years before I started taking the tramadol. Those three years I managed, had a lot of pretty big mood swings, but I think that is normal after having been on psych meds most of my life.

However, my depression and anxiety and mood swings have all leveled in the years I've taken tramadol and especially the past 6 months I've reduced to minimal dosages. I really think that tramadol has helped with my depression and GAD (although honestly I think my depression triggered my anxiety). I think that it helps even at low doses.

I took percocet for pain before tramadol and found that I could not wean. Percs felt too amazing. I stopped cold turkey when I was at five per day, and moved to the tramadol. The tramadol helped alleviate the withdrawals, which is why I think I started at such a high dose. However, weaning to a much lower dose on the tramadol was much easier. It was only when I got down to 5 on a rare day and typically 3-4 per day that I realized I dont really want to ever stop. It doesn't get me high, but it has true mood stabilizing and improving properties along with great analgesic effects if you keep the doses low.

I"ve tried a lot of other meds for pain, the antidepressants: lyrica, neurontin, elavil....a host more. All they did was make me tired. Finding the best combination for me was a journey. Sometimes I feel my best discovery was aspirin. Why don't people take it anymore? It's awesome!
    Last edited by iamslh32; 08-26-2012 at 10:33 PM.

@MellowMind -

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this thread. I had never heard of Tramadol before I joined this forum and have thought about requesting it. My current cocktail of medication just isn't working and I need to consider other options. I am waiting to get through my next surgery this Thursday - there's not much sense in changing things up right now.

I have been shocked to read all of the feedback on this drug - there are several threads about it. The responses are so polarizing - people either love it or hate it.

I have to admit - I am curious.

Does anyone know how well Tramadol plays with opiates?

Thanks all - - -
    Curiosity is what killed that cat.

MellowMind has a spectacular aura aboutMellowMind has a spectacular aura aboutMellowMind has a spectacular aura aboutMellowMind has a spectacular aura aboutMellowMind has a spectacular aura aboutMellowMind has a spectacular aura aboutMellowMind has a spectacular aura about

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. Really appreciated. I have been thinking about either tramadol or comadol-codeine? Does anyone have any experience with that medication for migraines/backpain/depression.

I am seriously considering the tramadol though until I can find an anti-depressant that works well for me.
    @IGoeOn if you google it you will see that it has been used as such by lots of people. Doc's aren't usually willing to prescribe tramadol for depression I'd assume. I find it silly though, as the withdrawls from A/D's are just as bad if not worse than a low-dose opiate.
    Used to be "panickedmind".

halohippe is a glorious beacon of lighthalohippe is a glorious beacon of lighthalohippe is a glorious beacon of lighthalohippe is a glorious beacon of lighthalohippe is a glorious beacon of lighthalohippe is a glorious beacon of lighthalohippe is a glorious beacon of lighthalohippe is a glorious beacon of lighthalohippe is a glorious beacon of lighthalohippe is a glorious beacon of lighthalohippe is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by MellowMind View Post
    Thanks so much for the replies everyone. Really appreciated. I have been thinking about either tramadol or comadol-codeine? Does anyone have any experience with that medication for migraines/backpain/depression.

I am seriously considering the tramadol though until I can find an anti-depressant that works well for me.
    @IGoeOn if you google it you will see that it has been used as such by lots of people. Doc's aren't usually willing to prescribe tramadol for depression I'd assume. I find it silly though, as the withdrawls from A/D's are just as bad if not worse than a low-dose opiate.
    I think you mean Co-Codamol. This is paracetamol or APAP (if from US) and codeine. I use the one with 30mg codeine and 500 paracetamol and find it quite effective. Its good for general headaches but i don't know about migraines, its also good for the odd backpain here or there.

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 5 minutes after the last post:*

Quote Originally Posted by Racerx View Post
    @MellowMind I to have severe muscle tension in my neck and shoulder which I believe is what triggers my headaches/migraines. I currently take relpax for my headaches and it works really well. My problem is that I have to take it multiple times a week. I have a doctors appointment next week and I'm hoping to try some different muscle relaxers to help with the muscle tension and hopefully stop the headaches.

Good luck and I hope you find some relief because I know how bad it can be.
    I have always suffered from muscle tension in the neck and shoulders and this leads to headaches for me. I have never heard of relpax but i am from UK. Will have to look into this.
    Last edited by halohippe; 08-27-2012 at 03:42 AM.

Im not a big fan of anti depressants, i don't think they really work. Ive taken them before and they usually makes me feel worse.
    Helpful magchik Rated helpful

My experience is T is no good for D, and isn't any good for my kind of pain, Osteo-arthritis. You really need the right diagnosis before you go experimenting on the right drug/s for you.

T's also have serious side effects for some, me anyway, made me feel terrible psychologically, and nauseous all the time. My 2c. YMMV.

I do have legitimate pain that I would be using it for but the anti-depressant properties would be very helpful to me right now.

This wouldn't be long-term, maybe a couple months if that. I am currently on a waiting list to see a low-income shrink, and it's going to take me a month before I can see a doctor. Until then, I'd like some honest feedback on how tramadol has worked for you.

Helpful iamslh32 Rated helpful

11. I am waiting for an order of tram in the mail now and after a months worth of use while taking 4 to 500 mg s a day I have to say its by far the least painful in terms of withdraw symptoms than any other opiate I've ever used. The worst I've had symptom wise has been irritability, fatigue, and the obvious slightly bummed out feeling you get because you begin to look forward to that comfort and mood lift you get. Tram gives me energy unlike other opiates, I know it's not an opiate itself, and I become very talkative and interested in anything going on much like other opiates. In some ways it will probably turn out to be even more habit forming than most opiates because I don't get that oh man I feel like shit and am consciously derailing my life feeling I get from other opiates. Usually I can sense the danger before it gets out of control which has separated me from a lot of my friends who can't sense that it is a severe problem and now are snorting stamp bags.

So beware! It reminds me of the addiction of marijuana because you think because you arent getting to that severe point it's much harder to quit. However as of right now I am enjoying my relationship with tramadol and will continue to let you guys know how it's going.

I was on 200mg SR Tramadol for about three years and didnít get much pain relief from it at all. Eventually I asked the doctor for some 50mg IR and for some strange reason it started working for me. After about another year on the 50mg my doctor asked me to try something over the counter (my GP isnít very keen to give out pain medication long term) but nothing really works very well .

I am now waiting on some Tramacet to arrive as this is tramadol and paracetamol together and Iíve read that a lot of people who have Fibromyalgia get relief from depression and pain so I will let you know how it goes.
    Like halohippe liked this post

My husband has taken tramadol for pain for at least 6 years. The doctor gives him 240 a month.

He doesn't understand addiction as he has never taken drugs. When he was off work he would decide he didn't need to take his medicine. He had terrible sweating, restless legs and panic attacks. I didn't know what was wrong with him and then it hit me that he probably hadn't taken his medicine. I asked him and sure enough he thought he could just not take it when he didn't need it. I had him take it and he was fine.

Keep in mind he is on a high dose. He really should be on something stronger as his body is all broke up. However, he continues to work so won't take a stronger medicine. The doctors would give it to him but he refuses.

Just be careful. Although some people may not have withdrawals most do.

Be aware of the medications that you can't take with it. I had a seizure mixing it with Wellbutrin.

I guess I should have used the word dependent instead of addiction when talking about my husband. He definitely does not have an addictive personality.
    Last edited by chell55; 09-14-2012 at 09:02 AM.
    Helpful Allycat Rated helpful

14. @iamslh32

I agree with your evaluation with tramadol. It gives me just enough for a nice mood lift and mild pain killing effects but I don't really get that euphoric feeling like you said from Percocet. That's why I enjoy tramadol because it gives me just what I need and does help with my anxiety and depression. I've even felt more mentally stable after taking a break from it for a week as well.

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 4 minutes after the last post:*

Can you talk about your seizure experience because it is something I've been worried about with tramadol. Did you go to the hospital?

Quote Originally Posted by iamslh32 View Post
    I take tramadol for lupus pain, what started as low back/spine and is now at varying times my hips, my shoulders, my knees, my hands, my wrists...whatever is flaring. I guess the low back is constant. I stayed at a very high dosage for years, 11-13 tabs per day (NOT recommended) and now take 3-5 per day (and 5 is very rare and only if I have a particularly bad flare).

I've found tramadol is more effective for pain relief if you take it in low doses. I Take it in combination with high doses of aspirin and with baclofen to alleviate my pain. Sometimes, especially now that I"ve reduced my dosage so much, I think the aspirin and baclofen are more helpful ongoing with the tramadol basically maintaining my mood and overcoming an occasional horrible flare in a joint region. I am having a particularly bad hip and knee flare today, and have taken 4 tramadol, (1 in the am, 2 about 6 hours later, and 1 about 8 hours later). Taking two tablets put me to sleep and was enough to put the pain in the background.

I've taken tramadol a long time. If I stop suddenly, I don't feel like a truck dropped on me, but I do get restless legs and have trouble sleeping besides being tired and cranky.

I also have a history of GAD and depression, that for many years off and on would run my life off track. I stopped taking all psychiatric medication about 3 years before I started taking the tramadol. Those three years I managed, had a lot of pretty big mood swings, but I think that is normal after having been on psych meds most of my life.

However, my depression and anxiety and mood swings have all leveled in the years I've taken tramadol and especially the past 6 months I've reduced to minimal dosages. I really think that tramadol has helped with my depression and GAD (although honestly I think my depression triggered my anxiety). I think that it helps even at low doses.

I took percocet for pain before tramadol and found that I could not wean. Percs felt too amazing. I stopped cold turkey when I was at five per day, and moved to the tramadol. The tramadol helped alleviate the withdrawals, which is why I think I started at such a high dose. However, weaning to a much lower dose on the tramadol was much easier. It was only when I got down to 5 on a rare day and typically 3-4 per day that I realized I dont really want to ever stop. It doesn't get me high, but it has true mood stabilizing and improving properties along with great analgesic effects if you keep the doses low.

I"ve tried a lot of other meds for pain, the antidepressants: lyrica, neurontin, elavil....a host more. All they did was make me tired. Finding the best combination for me was a journey. Sometimes I feel my best discovery was aspirin. Why don't people take it anymore? It's awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by chell55 View Post
    My husband has taken tramadol for pain for at least 6 years. The doctor gives him 240 a month.

He doesn't understand addiction as he has never taken drugs. When he was off work he would decide he didn't need to take his medicine. He had terrible sweating, restless legs and panic attacks. I didn't know what was wrong with him and then it hit me that he probably hadn't taken his medicine. I asked him and sure enough he thought he could just not take it when he didn't need it. I had him take it and he was fine.

Keep in mind he is on a high dose. He really should be on something stronger as his body is all broke up. However, he continues to work so won't take a stronger medicine. The doctors would give it to him but he refuses.

Just be careful. Although some people may not have withdrawals most do.

Be aware of the medications that you can't take with it. I had a seizure mixing it with Wellbutrin.

I guess I should have used the word dependent instead of addiction when talking about my husband. He definitely does not have an addictive personality.
    Last edited by kahuna25; 09-14-2012 at 07:12 PM.

@kahuna25 I was getting ready for work. Took my wellbutrin then two ultram. Drove to work, walked into the employee lounge and that is all I remember. Woke up in the ambulance. Thank God it didn't happen while I was driving. Doctors could not find any other reason for the seizure so attributed it to the medication.
    Helpful kahuna25 Rated helpful

16. @chell55

That is extremely frightening. I fear this possibility with my recent tramadol use. How many MGM are your ultrams if you don't mind me asking...

I don't take it anymore. This was years ago. I think it was 50 mg. My husband takes it now but I'm taking other pain medication. The doctor threatened to take my DL away if I didn't promise to never take Welbutrin again. He said I would have a hard time getting it back if that happened. Where I live you have to have a license. Everything is so far away walking or public transportation isn't possible.
    Helpful kahuna25 Rated helpful

18. Did the doctors say it was mostly likely caused from the mixture of the two? Or just the tram or just the Wellbutrin? 50 mg is a pretty low dose.

Are your other pain mess working for you? What do you take again if you don't mind me asking?

19. Damn. Tramadol does nothing for me except wean me off opiates. However, I DO take Wellbutrin and was glad to read the aforementioned effects that the combo can cause.

I use to love Tramadol, It lead me to the point I was taking atleast 200mgs at a time to feel effects. Anything after that though just leads to trouble. I got to where I couldn't even swallow any before my body would start rejecting them. Then I decided to lay off it for awhile.

Every now and then I'll take 150mgs and it will have me feeling exactly where I wanna be, but I'll never pass 200mgs again like I was doing. I think the most I ever took was like 350mgs.

Anyways @rcbucci what are these aforementioned effects with the Wellbutrin combo?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast