NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 781 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: taking ativan with methadone

Default taking ativan with methadone

not sure if this is the rigth place for this post but i have been on methadone for 2 years and am tapering off, now my new psychiatrist has decided that i need .5mg ativan 3 times a dday for my severe anxiety. i asked about my methadone and he said just to let the meth doctor know about it next time ai see him, he didnt seem to think it would be a problem. do you think my meth doctor is going to be ok with this? i dont see him for a few weeks but they piss test every monday so i duno if i should say something to the receptionist. has anyone here been on methadone and ativan?
    thanks

JoBohrer will become famous soon enoughJoBohrer will become famous soon enoughJoBohrer will become famous soon enoughJoBohrer will become famous soon enough

I can tell for Germany...here the situation is very different...i think the docs can do what they want...there are a couple of rules but how to pruf it its docs descicion...i have a substi doc which said over a year nothing ....i take clona...some docs said ciao after the first time (it was zopiclon only by me) ...but he said ciao search for a new doc...but whole in whole i would they if a psychatrict prescribe it for you tell him about methadon and say him he should talk with your doc. I think its the best possibiltiy...sorry cannot help more.

Greets
    Johannes
    Loved me then when i supply less because then i needed most

Coheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud of

Yes I currently take Xanax and my clinic doesn't care because I have a.script and they have doctors name and phone number but have never called him. Last year my doc switched me to ativan for a couple weeks and I told my clinic, basically my clinic says they can ask me anytime to bring in my script bottle and count my pills but that has never once happened.

Wow you get a UA every Monday? Ours are once a month at random but maybe that's because I go to a private clinic instead of a place run by the state. I know some clinics don't allow benzo use but like I said mine doesn't care as long as I have a script. They are very lax at my clinic, they told me they don't kick anyone out for anything.

Just a question for you, are you all required to go to meetings or anything? We don't at my clinic but I know the one run by the county they have to. Good luck.
    Helpful alumni, mamakat Rated helpful

Quote Originally Posted by gazbg View Post
    not sure if this is the rigth place for this post but i have been on methadone for 2 years and am tapering off, now my new psychiatrist has decided that i need .5mg ativan 3 times a dday for my severe anxiety. i asked about my methadone and he said just to let the meth doctor know about it next time ai see him, he didnt seem to think it would be a problem.
    I would request you authorize your shrink to provide a copy of your medical records to the methadone doctor, and vice versa, as well as always request a copy for yourself to keep in a binder.

I believe everybody should have up to date copies of their medical records. Just ask the doctor to send it out after it's been added to your file.
    Helpful Coheed Rated helpful

Coheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud of

Just remember to the OP taking benzos with methadone can be a very dangerous mix, many have died this way but if you take your three. 5mg ativan as directed you'll be fine. Does your shrink know your on methadone if you don't mind me asking?

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 3 minutes after the last post:*

My shrink knew I'm on methadone and didn't hsdve a problem prescribing me Xanax and the ativan and the dispensing nurse at the clinic also said its fine as long as taken as directed. I now get my Xanax from my regular doctor though because I don't need a visit every month I just need to call the script in and it saves me alot of money on doctor visits. Also if you don't mind me asking how much is MMT in UK? Just curious
    Last edited by Coheed; 09-01-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Unless prescribed by a dr, no. They are both CNS depressants which inhibit breathing. Especially in combination with one another, they can pose an even greater risk.

It makes me wonder why Elvis, Marilyn, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, and the thousands of equivalents lived as long as they did. They didn't mix a little; they mixed a lot.

To this day I always say I'm surprised I'm not dead or in jail. The combinations I'd mix up in the 70's and 80's were ~ in everybody I mentioned above ~ never with a needle.

EDIT ~ And that was the good stuff.
    Last edited by billyboy; 09-01-2012 at 02:20 PM.

@Lacan the OP said he has a script from his doctor.

9. I believe Coheed is completely correct. As long as you have a script, you are fine. Infact, they should be aware it is in your best interest to have the Ativan, as it will reduce your anxiety and that will make continuing the methadone treatment much easier for you. You are not doing anything wrong, you following doctors orders and taking care of yourself!

lollydoll has a spectacular aura aboutlollydoll has a spectacular aura aboutlollydoll has a spectacular aura aboutlollydoll has a spectacular aura aboutlollydoll has a spectacular aura about

I can definitely attest that taking a benzo as prescribed in conjunction with methadone is completely safe. In fact, Xanax and Ativan are not even "contraindicated" to take with methadone. While many deaths are attributed to recreational drug users who are either opiate naive, and paticularly, methadone naive, these medications can be used safely and effectively together. The key is to notify all prescribers that you are taking them and be honest in the amount. It sounds like u r in the UK so I can't give specific guidance for how docs feel about the two over there in conjunction. But I have been on a stable dose of methadone(120) for five years now with less than 2 dose changes +\- 10 mg and have had no problems with either my clinic or other docs as long as both parties are aware and have an informed consent on file to speak with each other if they wanted to. I had been on pain management and low dose Xanax over five years ago and became pregnant. Then my OB had me switch to methadone and stop the Xanax. I found that I liked methadone for my new life as a mother much better than pain mgmt so I've stuck with it. I only added Xanax back in earlier this year after giving life a good shot without it for a few years. My panic/anxiety just became miserable for me and my family so I went to my primary care doc this time and resumed Xanax at low dose again. My clinic wants to see the bottle every time I get a refill and they make a copy of it. I bet if it was like a script for 200 bars a month they would poopoo it and probably take my privileges away to have take home medication. But to sum up, no its not impossible. It does require honesty and Frequent monitoring by ur clinic and likely the ativan doc to keep ur head "straight".
    Unless you care a whole aweful lot, nothing's going to get better. It's not. ~Dr. Seuss