Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qualitest vs Mallinckrodt

core2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud of

Thumbs down Qualitest vs Mallinckrodt

Just when I thought generics couldn't get any worse! What are your opinions on these two companies? I know the generics contain different binders/fillers but why would that effect the main ingredient? A question for @alumni or a pharmacist perhaps. I recently got the Qualitest Norco and these are worse than the Mallies. Wtf is going on? I don't take these everyday so its not tolerance. WATSON where art thou??

Well I'm certainly not a pharmacist but I do work in a pharmacy. As I understand it, generics active ingredients can vary by up to 20% over or under the brand name strength. That is why for certain narrow therapeutic index drugs like coumadin and synthroid you are not supposed to go from brand to generic and back without a doctors approval. It is also true that every generic uses different fillers, sometimes corn and sometimes wheat. It is possible that you have a mild allergy to either of these and so you are not properly getting the full amount of the drug you are taking. However that only occurs in about 10% of the population. I hope someone with more knowledge than me responds to this question.

Harry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond repute
    Harry Irene has a reputation beyond repute
    M or the almighty Watson (I prefer Wallace Brand for Soma for my back and get it Fresh and Dirt-Cheap) I get the pure Oxycodone 5 mg's from my GP. If you can get scripted Watson Soma for you ailments act like that little freaky Dude from Harry Potter and his Precious Ring. Anybody goes near them, maim them.
    Helpful feisty Rated helpful
    Like drR, core2duo liked this post

I get qualitest norco and they are awful. The worst brand I have had. I have no idea why. Seems like they wouldn't differ that much.
    Helpful biancafiore Rated helpful

core2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by chell55 View Post
    I get qualitest norco and they are awful. The worst brand I have had. I have no idea why. Seems like they wouldn't differ that much.

I mean I would rather have 15mg of codeine than these. Regardless of what the experts say, not all generics are anywhere near the same. I'm used to 5/500 so how could 5 more mgs of hydro be felt less? I mean I get like an hour of releif from these at best? Could the APAP make that much of a difference? And finally, how could I potentiate these?
    Last edited by core2duo; 03-12-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Harry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond repute
    Harry Irene has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by jayther2 View Post
    Just when I thought generics couldn't get any worse! What are your opinions on these two companies? I know the generics contain different binders/fillers but why would that effect the main ingredient? A question for @alumni or a pharmacist perhaps. I recently got the Qualitest Norco and these are worse than the Mallies. Wtf is going on? I don't take these everyday so its not tolerance. WATSON where art thou??

Try a Independent Pharmacy and see what they carry..do a lil' hunting. When you get the script re-filled...Just tell them there are certain brands that have helped you VERY MUCH with your pain and the others haven't at all. No if's but's what's about it. Rite-Aid once in awhile will stock decent brands, but I always try the Indy's first
    Helpful core2duo Rated helpful

I agree Qualitest aren't very good. My pharmacy once ran out of them and ordered in a manufacturer that I think was called Amneil. Those worked GREAT, for me at least. Unfortunately after a couple of months those were gone and Qualitest was back. They will always underbid any other company it seems.
    Helpful core2duo Rated helpful

I remember back in '98 after surgery for
    a shattered wrist, I had a RX for Watson
    hydros for almost a year. 2 5mg seemed
    to be stronger than the 30mg roxis they
    sell now.
    Like core2duo, Binky liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by minneman View Post
    I remember back in '98 after surgery for
    a shattered wrist, I had a RX for Watson
    hydros for almost a year. 2 5mg seemed
    to be stronger than the 30mg roxis they
    sell now.
    I know what you mean @minneman. My conclusion is that they make the meds crappier so less people will want them lol. Yes, a total conspiracy theory if you will. Could these companies be saving that much $ using cheaper ingredients. All I know is a 3rd world country probably has better quality meds. Too bad Cipla doesn't make hydro/oxy. It would blow these away. Just venting here folks :-)
    Like windowpane liked this post

If I only had the two choices qualitest or mali's I would take the qualitest. But that's if they were my only 2 choices!

And finally, how could I potentiate these?
    Some things You could try, if on hand soma, milltown, promethazine, atarax, a benzo, a beer! While I would condone none of these and understand I'm not suggesting any of them just stating what I've read over the years, ( or may have known some one that has tried some of these methods ) these would potentiate all in a different way but should all work.

Opiate potentiation and side-effects
    Last edited by Agls; 03-12-2013 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Added web page
    Helpful Keith K Stone, core2duo Rated helpful

Easythunder has a spectacular aura aboutEasythunder has a spectacular aura aboutEasythunder has a spectacular aura aboutEasythunder has a spectacular aura aboutEasythunder has a spectacular aura aboutEasythunder has a spectacular aura about

@jayther2....my Pharmacist friends tell me these binders/fillers can and do have side effects for some people. I took a med made by West-Ward Pharmaceuticals, ended up flushing 88 of the 90 down the drain due to the intolerable effect. Just didn't work. Consider this, and I'm very serious. I know we have Quality Control, drug laws and standards, but be honest with yourself. Where there are humans involved the bottom line is profits and I'm sorry to say but there are too many evil people who will still cut corners in spite of health concerns just to maximize profits. My point.........I don't really know what's in those meds.

I'll give you a story for proof. Once I had a fill of Mallinckrodt. I took one tablet, and it was as if I had taken about 10, the entire 100 tablet Rx was like x-tra powerful/potent. Don't know if some freak accident or mishap when mixing but something was up. That stuff was incredibly powerful so much so it actually scared me..

Then on other occasions, the very same med, same company, same strength, I felt like I'd eaten a jelly bean as it did nothing. Maybe just an odd event but it was most certainly noticeable.

Like core2duo, Binky, bjmeland liked this post

As far as hydrocodone/acetaminophen goes I find Qualitest's generic Lortab of 10/500 but like OP said their generic Norco 10/325 are just plain crap. I had zero effect with those except severe constipation.

The first generic Lortab I ever tried was a 5/500 Mallincrkodt and it was great they seem to produce a decent product in this category.

The winner though would always be Watsons for generics. I don't know what they do, but they seem to get it right more so then the others with all their generics. My opinion of course.

One thing I believe to be true is the amount of APAP does make a difference. A perfect example is Norco and Lortab (Watson brand) Both have 10mg hydrocodone but the Lortab is noticeably stronger, a lot stronger. Drs always just write for Norco cause of the concern of liver damage, especially if they are a chronic pain patient. I always would ask for the 10/500 and break them in half.

Well this is kind of interesting. This is an instance where Mallinckrodt came out on top. I have been using a particular 30mg oxycodone pill, the Mallinckrodt brand (M30). This past time I received the Qualitest brand (V 4812). I must say these are way below my standards for a roxi 30. This is an instance where the Mallinckrodt brand won the taste test. This is also true for the generic norco 10/325. The m367 were better than the Qualitest brand imo
    Like MayreeAngel2 liked this post

Easythunder has a spectacular aura aboutEasythunder has a spectacular aura aboutEasythunder has a spectacular aura aboutEasythunder has a spectacular aura aboutEasythunder has a spectacular aura aboutEasythunder has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by samhain View Post
    As far as hydrocodone/acetaminophen goes I find Qualitest's generic Lortab of 10/500 but like OP said their generic Norco 10/325 are just plain crap. I had zero effect with those except severe constipation.

The first generic Lortab I ever tried was a 5/500 Mallincrkodt and it was great they seem to produce a decent product in this category.

The winner though would always be Watsons for generics. I don't know what they do, but they seem to get it right more so then the others with all their generics. My opinion of course.
    I've had this on occasion with 7.5/325 Lortab which was made by Watson and it worked very well. Watson has been around for quite a long time so I'd have to give them A+. Just like Valium, that stuff was invented/created by a man decades back and is still a widely popular medicine. I did not know that it was a muscle relaxer till I was told this at the ER in the Hospital once when I had one of those bone crusher migraines and nothing to take for it.

They gave me an IV drip of Compazine, and it made me sweat bullets. I asked them to take the IV out and to stop because it was making me feel very strange. They didn't listen, so I took it out myself, something I'd not ordinarily do. Bled profusely there for awhile. Drove home, feeling like I'd just consumed a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 Whiskey, and barely made it home. Everything looked orange colored to me. Like I had on sunglasses with an orange tint. I figure I must be allergic to that particular med so never allowed use of it again.

Slept for about 6 hours straight though and woke up w/o the migraine, but hungover type feeling.

The concern for tylenol bothers me as well so I always ask for the lower dosage tablet or capsule, whatever they have to Rx me. This same ER, emergency room, gave me an 800 mg tylenol which I didn't even know existed.

It was probably an 800mg motrin and the nurse misinformed you @Easythunder.

Generic Vicodin is 5/500 correct (5mg hydrocodone/500mg acetominophen). I had the Mallinckrodt m365 norco 5/325 a few weeks ago and they seemed better than a generic 3601 qualitest which is 10/325.

It was probably an 800mg motrin and the nurse misinformed you @Easythunder.

Generic Vicodin is 5/500 correct (5mg hydrocodone/500mg acetominophen). I had the Mallinckrodt m365 norco 5/325 a few weeks ago and they seemed better than a generic 3601 qualitest which is 10/325.
    @Jayther, you are most likely correct as I've never heard of 800mg tylenol. I just recall the 800 mg of something that did nothing. The problem with migraines is if you have nothing to abort them, you're in trouble, or you go to the Emergency Room. I've been so many times the remedy has been different every single time. The one time I actually got treated what I call was fair a Nurse Practitioner gave me something that had some kick to it and I knew it would stop the headache, then she Rx'd a 15tab to help me down the road. I held on to those meds for about 3 months just for the bone crushing migraines.

@jayther2, at the pharmacy we had a guy come in last week who INSISTED on getting his vicodin filled with watson brand. Which of course we don't have on the shelf. We tried to order it in for him only to find it is on back order. I can't remember if it was no longer being manufactured or just a back order problem that usually lasts a few months. Anyway at least for my chain, there is no way to get Watsons for the time being at all. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by diacel View Post
    @jayther2, at the pharmacy we had a guy come in last week who INSISTED on getting his vicodin filled with watson brand. Which of course we don't have on the shelf. We tried to order it in for him only to find it is on back order. I can't remember if it was no longer being manufactured or just a back order problem that usually lasts a few months. Anyway at least for my chain, there is no way to get Watsons for the time being at all. Shame.
    Doesn't your pharmacy receive the recall and shortage reports regularly from the FDA or MPR?
    I know from reading those that late last year Watson recalled two lots of hydrocodone tablets but I've seen nothing about any current shortage.
    Watson Pharmaceuticals has not stopped manufacturing and marketing these generic medications that I'm aware of.
    I know Abbott discontinued making their Vicodin products that contained more than 325 mg of APAP but very quickly distributed the new formulations.
    Helpful MayreeAngel2, sodisenchanted Rated helpful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast