Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Xanax help Oxycodone withdrawal?

Default Will Xanax help Oxycodone withdrawal

I'm a chronic pain patient and unfortunately I have had to take more meds than usual due to a herniated diseased disc flare up. I even went to the ER and was given a shot of Dilaudid, that helped a great deal but anyway...

I will be out of my Oxycodone for 5 days. Please do NOT bash me or call me a Junky.

I'm getting my Xanaxs filled today, will that help with the withdrawal? Should I ask my Shrink about getting on an antidepressant to aid as well?

I've been through withdrawals before but never had my Xanax and it was the seventh circle of hell.

I've learned my lesson, I am going to speak with my Pain Doc about what happened and stick to my dose.

But I need some advice now...
    I also have epilepsy and have been without my Topamax for awhile b/c it's so expensive and started having myclonic jerks. I don't want to have a seizure while withdrawing from pain meds.

PS
    My dose is 3-5 10 mg pills daily... how rough is it gonna be for me to kick for 5 days?

2. Hello,
    Any stress on your body can put you into a seizure....
    It is sad you are in the drug cycle. Take this drug for the side effects of this drug on and on.
    I was in your boat before, so no name calling. It would be best to be weaned off the daily use of drugs though......for your health.
    Good luck and do everything you can to keep from having seizures (even if it means taking the pain killers).

3. Yes they will help with some of the symptoms,they will also help you to sleep to get through it,i would recommend calling your doctor and explain him the situation, chances are you can have him prescribe you a small prescription of oxy ir (instant release) or something similar,I.e percoset tylox vicoden etc, to get yoiu through until you can get your oxy filled

4. It all depends how long you actually been taking them. THat's a lot of Oxycodone and regardless it peaks so high, it doesn't matter if you took 20/10 mg's a day, it is all pretty much gonna be the same , depending on your degree of dependence.

Do you get BAD lower calve pain??????? And this varies in degree of severity from a pain to an absolute nagging burning feeling that is pure hell. If you never experienced this your not that bad.
    OXycodone is a drug that no matter what you take, it is impossible to wean off it and the W/D is gonna be the same.

I can't answer the question how bad it is gonna be because I do not know how long you been taking them. Some people sweat just a little bit, nose runs a little and they think they are dying. Or you can actually not be able to get out of bed at all. Saturated in a deluge of sweat and in unbelievable pain in every joint. Feeling like you have Yellow Fever.

THe first day isn't actually all that bad for some people.

And you know your doctor. I wouldn't tell him a thing. It technically and medically is abuse and god knows what the outcome will be. He might put it in your chart your a drug abuser or......., GOD knows, it is not good. I am just telling you. Eat it, deal with it and do not do it again. Just ask for more if you need them, to run short a day is one thing but 5 days is another. That is a lot of pills. And he is gonna know about the Diluadid shot to.

When you get back on track with yourself, take the least amount possible that you can get by with.

5. Please I am sorry about the back pain .With any medications it is always best to discuss all the issues with some one who is trained to deal with these questions.I wish you all the best .5 days could have afew up and downs so be prepared and take each day at a time.

6. the xanax will help with the sever withdrawl symptoms you may experience, and may also enable you to sleep through most of what will happen. you may want to speak with your "shrink" about getting a sample pack of the topamax, which is also commonly perscribed as an anti-depressent. they may have some in the office to give you to get through at least the five day period. just make sure you have a friend or family member keep an eye out for you during that time, regular phone calls and visits will help make sure that if you have any problems they get dealt with promptly. good luck to you, send me a message and let me know how its going. its going to suck, but then you will also be more prepared to manage your pain without dependacy on pain killers. good luck to you!!

my bad. this threads ancient
    Last edited by CPain7; 07-04-2011 at 08:45 PM.

If anyone needs help on this in the future, look into the "Thomas Recipe for Opiate Withdrawal". It's based on L-tyrosine (available at GNC and such) and B-6 (available pretty much anywhere vitamins are sold) being used to replace those neurotransmitters that have been depleted from opiate abuse. If you can get your hands on a benzo, that can really help too, but even without it, the L-tyrosine and B-6 can help amazingly, and acts quickly. I used it to come off a morphine addiction.
    Helpful Binky, Stevo1, C_Dub, MNLady Rated helpful

nightning will become famous soon enoughnightning will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by arizona View Post
    If anyone needs help on this in the future, look into the "Thomas Recipe for Opiate Withdrawal". It's based on L-tyrosine (available at GNC and such) and B-6 (available pretty much anywhere vitamins are sold) being used to replace those neurotransmitters that have been depleted from opiate abuse. If you can get your hands on a benzo, that can really help too, but even without it, the L-tyrosine and B-6 can help amazingly, and acts quickly. I used it to come off a morphine addiction.
    In the spirit of natural aids, Magnesium is a natural muscle relaxer, also.

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    In the spirit of natural aids, Magnesium is a natural muscle relaxer, also.
    Good call. I think potassium was mentioned as well. I'm thinking ou want to replace as many depleted vitamins and nutrients as possible. Not only to rebuild all the yucky things the drugs did to you, but also because... if you have an addiction, you're likely not taking as good care of yourself as you should. I'm not a vitamin expert by any means though!

11. well, this thread is ancient but since soneone bumped it already I'll add my two cents. Yes, xanax will help. If nothing else it might help you sleep through the worst of it (hopefully you won't have to work). Also, load up on ibuprophen and Immodium AD. There is a blood pressure medication that will also help, but I can't remember what it is called at the moment. I was given that and tramadol the last time I went through detox.
    Like Stevo1 liked this post

barbital is offline Banned Reason: Breaking the forum rules / sending abusive emails
    barbital will become famous soon enough

Xanax works good, but I would try Valium if you can get. Yes Xanax is stronger and fast acting, but Valium is slow acting and builds up in your system over time. For example if you take a 10mg valium at night and take a 5mg in the morning you will have about 7mg of Valium in you.

Either way, the best way to come of pain killers is to use the benzo or barbituates and try to sleep it off. I find the more I sleep the better I get when coming off the opiates or alcohol.
    Like Stevo1, polly_prozac liked this post

13. your not a junky! I think most of us all go over our limit here and there. xanax will help with the relaxation but will still have the WDs... Can you get some tramadol? IB pro for the aches and pains and hot baths will also help.

14. I agree with @barbital if you're going to use a benzo for opiate withdrawal, valium (long-acting) is a much better choice than Xanax (short-acting). Many users have had success using the Thomas Recipe, which calls for Valium, Imodium, L-Tyrosine, B-6, and a solid multi-vitamine. It can be found at the following link: The Thomas Recipe - For Opiate Withdrawal - Drugs.com Best of luck and hope this helps!

i think soma helped the most for me, but that was because i slept for like 4 days straight while i should have been going through withdrawals. find a doc in your area that will put you on a suboxone regimen. that helped my buddy get off of oxys without any w/d symptoms. hardest part is finding a doc that is licensed to perscribe it. do not order from a online vendor because you need a special licence to give out subs in the states and everyone ive talked to has gotten fake meds instead of subs.

barbital is offline Banned Reason: Breaking the forum rules / sending abusive emails
    barbital will become famous soon enough

L-Tyrosine is great... for supporting mental alterness, but aslo try L-Phenlalanine which supports postive mood... which can help. I use both every day!

A family member has issues with opiate addiction. He found Suboxone to be very helpful. Also, he did find that benzos of any kind, especially long lasting ones like diazepam and clonazepam, were fairly helpful in relieving symptoms of withdrawal. But, he says that benzos are definitely no replacement or cure.

18. Yes suboxone is fantastic for getting rid of opiate withdrawals but it is also addictive and has its own withdrawal symptoms. The sublingual films are great though and the dr. visit and script might be covered by insurance (mine was). But, It can also be hard to find a doctor to prescribe it since they need a special license. I've gotten some generic buprenorphine from an IOP before, and it was of suspect quality, so I wouldn't bother.
    Helpful KKS Rated helpful

naynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant futurenaynay has a brilliant future

Also for future reference....the original poster stated that she had epilepsy. Tramadol should NEVER EVER be suggested to help with w/d if you have epilepsy because Tramadol lowers the seizure threshold . Thank God this thread was started back in 08 wheeeeeew! lol
    Helpful KKS, sparky01gt Rated helpful

amp12815 will become famous soon enoughamp12815 will become famous soon enoughamp12815 will become famous soon enoughamp12815 will become famous soon enough

Yes, atleast for me, xanax has worked for opiate w/d's. One other thing to consider is ordering some Kratom, which is a natural herb that acts on the mu opiod receptors. But be careful with using benzo's as the w/d's (from benzo's,along with alcohol) can be fatal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast