Thread: Tramadol/Norco

1. Default Tramadol/Norco

My Doc has taken me off Norco and put me on 300mgs per day of Tramadol.The Tramodal does not even work as good as the Norco.I still have some Norco,But when I take them with the tramodal I do not even feel them.I have taken 4 10mgs at one time and do not feel anything.Has this ever happen to anyone else?

brandon7467 is a glorious beacon of lightbrandon7467 is a glorious beacon of lightbrandon7467 is a glorious beacon of lightbrandon7467 is a glorious beacon of lightbrandon7467 is a glorious beacon of lightbrandon7467 is a glorious beacon of lightbrandon7467 is a glorious beacon of lightbrandon7467 is a glorious beacon of lightbrandon7467 is a glorious beacon of lightbrandon7467 is a glorious beacon of light

My doc tried to do that too at one time. I had to tell him that the norcos were the only thing that helped my back pain. You should just tell him they don't do shit for pain relief.
    Like Keith K Stone liked this post

Yes, tramadol will make you less likely to feel an opiate painkiller. I am not clear on the chemistry behind this, but many people have found this to be the case, myself included.
    Helpful jtb2, Kat0711, cajunbulldog Rated helpful
    Like Keith K Stone liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMoriarty View Post
    Yes, tramadol will make you less likely to feel an opiate painkiller. I am not clear on the chemistry behind this, but many people have found this to be the case, myself included.
    No idea why this has been your experience.
    There is no reason I know of from a medical or pharmacological standpoint why this would be true.
    Actually, since tramadol also acts on opioid receptors, the opposite should be the case. I know it was for me.

Tramadol and norco are completely different chemically. Norco is an opiate, derived from the poppy plant. Tramadol is a hyponotic which contains no opium at all. Maybe the hypnotic effect of the tramadol makes one less aware of the euphoric feeling of the norco. Interesting posts all.

Quote Originally Posted by alumni View Post
    No idea why this has been your experience.
    There is no reason I know of from a medical or pharmacological standpoint why this would be true.
    Actually, since tramadol also acts on opioid receptors, the opposite should be the case. I know it was for me.
    I know that tramadol is radically different from opiates (more like an SNRI). Perhaps it effects some differently than others. Of course, we also need to clarify what we mean when we say we do not "feel" it - are we not feeling pain relief? Or are we not getting an opiate high. Those are two very separate issues.
    Helpful Kat0711, taralumia Rated helpful

I've been here before.

Take the Norco first. Wait until its fully absorbed and a bit more.Then take the tramadol, it will make it feel like the you're taking a Norco thats long lasting.

Thats really the only benefit of combining them IMO. Really not that much of a difference, but if you're hurting and wanna squeeze a little more outta the Norco. It'll work.

Quote Originally Posted by jtb2 View Post
    Tramadol and norco are completely different chemically. Norco is an opiate, derived from the poppy plant. Tramadol is a hyponotic which contains no opium at all. Maybe the hypnotic effect of the tramadol makes one less aware of the euphoric feeling of the norco. Interesting posts all.
    And ignore this. Tramadol is not a hypnotic. Its a synthetic opiate with SNRI actions.
    Helpful Kat0711 Rated helpful
    Like Kat0711 liked this post

8. Doc wants to keep me on Tramadol for now.Can't wait till I have to ween myself off this crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Like Kat0711 liked this post

Kat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura about

I had the same reaction to tramadol and pain meds... could not feel either really, and even if I took the pain med first still had no relief. I am back on tramadol only and I have to take a bunch to get them to work for me now. My only alternative is to go back on pain managment and I dont want to do that. Sorry, seem to be rambling a bit, just wanted to let you know your not the only one that has had that reaction,

Best wishes

Kat
    Pain.... What a Drag

Some people just can't process/digest tramadol efficiently. I know if I take 200mg its kinda like a long acting 10mg Hydro. Especially if I take a Soma with it. If I take the hydro, then add the tramadol it really makes it like a 5 hour hydro, instead of the usual 3 hours for me.

IMO though, if a doc has seen your prescription history. And has seen that you've been in pain management, they gotta be batshit crazy to script you Trams. When they can see evidence of tolerance to opiate meds. When I said what Trams do for me at 200mg, that was speaking when I hadn't been taking opiate PKs regularly. When I was taking Oxy daily, if I took 300mg of tramadol it wouldn't do a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeman View Post
    My Doc has taken me off Norco and put me on 300mgs per day of Tramadol.The Tramodal does not even work as good as the Norco.I still have some Norco,But when I take them with the tramodal I do not even feel them.I have taken 4 10mgs at one time and do not feel anything.Has this ever happen to anyone else?
    Me, I'd take my doctor off my healthcare if he or she tried something like that, unless a really good reason for it. I've had docs who "disliked" certain meds, but none of them tried to take me off them suddenly.