Thread: Ativan with Percocet

1. Default Ativan with Percocet

I know that you shouldn't mix benzos and opiates, which is why I am asking this question. If I took 1mg of Ativan around 6 hours ago, would it be okay to take percocet now? I've read that the effects of ativan can last for 24 hours and I'm not trying to end up dead.

Thanks.

WE don't know your tolerance to Lorazepam or Percocet. Impossible for someone to tell you. How much percocet are you planning on taking, are you taking now because you are in pain or looking for a buzz etc.

Half life of lorazepam is 12-18hrs. So after 6hrs you have .5mg+ still in your system. It will increase the drowsiness and slow the breathing more than percocet normally would. Hold off 6 more hours if you can to let the lorazepam diminish or Take half dose of percocet to be safe. Are you're 2 options besides just going for it and risking it. I personally think it would be fine, but I don't know how these meds affect you. You don't either so mixing them while you are alone is not the best idea.

At the hospital they give benzo-opiate combos, but are always monitoring vitals just to be safe. They do that because even at normal doses, some will have a problem.
    Helpful Binky Rated helpful
    Like billyboy, Jhood liked this post

All i know taking benzos and pain pills makes me extremely dizzy and sometimes nautios. i would try i different benzo.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma1337 View Post
    I know that you shouldn't mix benzos and opiates, which is why I am asking this question. If I took 1mg of Ativan around 6 hours ago, would it be okay to take percocet now? I've read that the effects of ativan can last for 24 hours and I'm not trying to end up dead.

Thanks.
    Did the same doctor prescribe both drugs? If not, did you disclose the medications you were taking to the other doctor? Do you get them from the same pharmacy? Did you ask the pharmacist? If the answer to any question is yes, you should know the answer.

Regardless of any opinions or answers you get here, it's your body and who knows if you're planning on finishing off a bottle of Jack Daniels? Or already have.

Personally, I've taken 30 mgs of oxycodone and 40 mgs of Valium and probably a black beauty and a fifth of Tanqueray and maybe a placidyl too and lord knows what else in one night when I was in college and I'm still here. Lucky me.

But we don't know how old you are, how much you weigh, what you've eaten, and your prior health history.

Forums are great for learning from prior experiences. But take what you read with a grain of salt.

I'd say it's up to you buddy.

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 8 minutes after the last post:*

PS @Puma1337 and I probably drove my 1979 4 barrel Trans Am home. Extra lucky me and everybody in the car with me and anybody within a mile of me.
    Last edited by billyboy; 10-30-2011 at 07:12 PM.

In a lovely wooded area where the birds sing
    Lynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant future

I was precribed Ativan for 3 weeks by my doc (completely benzo naive; this was 7 or 8 years ago) while I was on 4-10mg percocets a day. I took 1mg of Ativan 3 times a day and 10mg of percocet 4 times a day. Basically I slept a lot. If you aren't benzo naive you'll be fine. If you are, don't drive. I slept more in that time frame than I ever have in my life! lol
    Helpful Binky Rated helpful

Jhood will become famous soon enough

Thanks.
    As was previously mentioned, benzos and opiates can be a dangerous mix. All I can say is take great caution when mixing any quantity of the two. My friend made the mistake of mixing too much Xanax and Oxycodone and ended up in acoma. Some people get brain damage in the process, I know he was even lucky to wake up. Good luck!

Thanks.
    That is exactly the kind of question that you should ask a doctor rather than posters on an Internet discussion board.
    No one has any idea about the many personal variables mentioned previously which could easily affect the correct answer to your question and could make the difference between life and death.
    And I wouln't just ask a pharmacist. Ask your doctor.
    Like billyboy liked this post

Basileuz has a spectacular aura aboutBasileuz has a spectacular aura aboutBasileuz has a spectacular aura aboutBasileuz has a spectacular aura aboutBasileuz has a spectacular aura about

Just don't exaggerate on the dosage.
    Benzo's are used at much higher dosages recreationally than therapeutically.
    If you stick to relatively low dosages, you should be safe.

9. Thanks for all of the advice guys. I ended up not mixing them just to be safe. I'd rather be safe than sorry =)

10. ..........

11. The only time mixing alcohol + benzos + opiates (pick two, or three) is dangerous is when you take them in large doses. 1mg xanax or ativan plus 10mg oxycodone is not going to kill anyone.

12. Thread closed because the question was answered and discussing recreational drug use is against forum rules.
    Like KKS liked this post