Thread: Dangers Of Mixing Suboxone & Benzo's?

Gladheart is offline Distinguished Member
    Gladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to behold

Default Dangers Of Mixing Suboxone & Benzo's?

I have read some information that mixing Suboxone/Subutex and Benzo's can be dangerous. I know there have been some studies done over in Europe about deaths that have taken place when people have used the Buprenorphine in Suboxone and Subutex IV and mixed in a fairly large dose of Xanax or other Benzo's. Does anybody out there have any addition information on the subject?

billyboy is offline Exalted Member
    billyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond repute
    billyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond reputebillyboy has a reputation beyond repute
    Well as Sandy Dennis said in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf," my ALL TIME FAVORITE Elizabeth Taylor movie other than "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (Cuz Paul Newman was soooooo blue-eye handsome), "Never mix never worry!!"

Etherealremnant is offline Honorable Member
    Etherealremnant has a spectacular aura aboutEtherealremnant has a spectacular aura aboutEtherealremnant has a spectacular aura aboutEtherealremnant has a spectacular aura aboutEtherealremnant has a spectacular aura aboutEtherealremnant has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Gladheart View Post
    I have read some information that mixing Suboxone/Subutex and Benzo's can be dangerous. I know there have been some studies done over in Europe about deaths that have taken place when people have used the Buprenorphine in Suboxone and Subutex IV and mixed in a fairly large dose of Xanax or other Benzo's. Does anybody out there have any addition information on the subject?
    There is a danger of extreme respiratory depression when mixing benzodiazepines with opioid receptor agonists that can lead to death. It is not recommended to mix the two, however, if you are already tolerant to benzos (obviously you have an opiate tolerance if you are taking bupe) the effect is lessened but it is still there.

I would definitely proceed with caution. I had an experience involving 4mg of Dilaudid and 1mg of Klonopin where my respiratory system was extremely depressed and I had to hyperventilate myself through it for a few hours. I had no opiate tolerance, however, and I was taking such a high dose because I can not tolerate Vicodin or Percocet and I had thrown my back out.

Since a lot of people tend to get anxiety relief from opiate receptor agonists, one might try taking less of their benzos when experimenting. Also, shorter-acting benzos (Ativan, Xanax) would be a safer bet than longer-acting benzos (Klonopin and Valium in particular).

As was said by billyboy1965, if you don't mix them, you have nothing to worry about. This is kind of a moot point though since you obviously don't want to go through benzodiazepine withdrawals so my advice would be to test the waters slowly.

I lost a good friend of mine to an H and Xanax combination but obviously I can not tell you what really killed her besides respiratory failure.
    Helpful Gladheart Rated helpful

chris100 is offline Distinguished Member
    chris100 is a glorious beacon of lightchris100 is a glorious beacon of lightchris100 is a glorious beacon of lightchris100 is a glorious beacon of lightchris100 is a glorious beacon of lightchris100 is a glorious beacon of lightchris100 is a glorious beacon of lightchris100 is a glorious beacon of lightchris100 is a glorious beacon of lightchris100 is a glorious beacon of lightchris100 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm taking 3 mg oxy 3 times a day with 3 ,25 xanax and I'm fine. Not a big problem.

Harry Irene is offline Exalted Member
    Harry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Irene has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a smorgasbord schmuck - Lester Bangs

Etherealremnant is offline Honorable Member
    Etherealremnant has a spectacular aura aboutEtherealremnant has a spectacular aura aboutEtherealremnant has a spectacular aura aboutEtherealremnant has a spectacular aura aboutEtherealremnant has a spectacular aura aboutEtherealremnant has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by chris100 View Post
    I'm taking 3 mg oxy 3 times a day with 3 ,25 xanax and I'm fine. Not a big problem.
    I assume you meant 30mg of Oxy... are you taking 3 .25mg Xanax with each dose or just a total of .75mg of Xanax a day? .75mg of Xanax isn't much of anything - I never even felt Xanax at all until I took .5-1mg without a tolerance - so I wouldn't imagine you would have many issues with it at that level. If you are taking 2.25mg a day that's a little bit of a different story but really it all comes down to tolerance between the two drugs and individual chemistry.

A perfect example is that I used to take 10mg norcos 6-8 pills a day when I was recovering from surgery on my left lung and hydrocodone gives me panic attacks so I took 1mg of Xanax every time I took a pill and I had no respiratory problems.

It is definitely a YMMV thing. A cautionary warning is all that is in order.
    Helpful Gladheart Rated helpful