NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 702 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing for benzos

chris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to behold

Default Testing for benzos

I wanted to know if my pain doctor was to do a urine test on me for benzos, how long should i stop taking them so they dont show up in the test? I take 1 or 2 ,1mg of xanax a day. Im about 220 pounds and i have an appt. with him March 22. If he does a urine test on me for benzos, will it show up if i stopped taking them 2 weeks before my appt? I would love to here your input about this. I just remembered i did sign for them to be aloud to do this on me. So how long will it be in my system before i do my test?? They might not do it , but you never know. I just wanted an idea when it will be safe for me to stop taking them before my appt.? Thanks.

2. Yeah I would like to know this as well as I'm on drug replacement therapy and am subject to drug tests once a month.

P.S. I'm not trying to steal your thread Chris, this is just something that I would like to know too

DeadheadRN has a spectacular aura aboutDeadheadRN has a spectacular aura aboutDeadheadRN has a spectacular aura aboutDeadheadRN has a spectacular aura aboutDeadheadRN has a spectacular aura aboutDeadheadRN has a spectacular aura aboutDeadheadRN has a spectacular aura about

Ok here's the deal. Benzos, like Xanax and Valium, are lipid soluble. This means that much like THC, elimination of benzos from your system depends a lot on how much body fat you have. Like THC, the benzo molecules bind to fat cells. Daily heavy users of Valium, for example, who have a lot of body fat can have benzos detected in urine up to 30 days after last ingestion. Daily heavy users who don't have a lot of body fat are looking at 10-12 days, but that's a minimum. My recommendation is that you stop taking benzos at least 30 days before a urine screen, just to be on the safe side. One thing to keep in mind - for some reason Klonopin and Ativan seem to leave the system more rapidly, but I wouldn't take any chances. One more thing to note - in some rare cases Valium can be detected in the urine for months after last ingestion. I have had patients who swear they haven't take Valium in 2 months, but their U-tox still comes back positive.

@chris100 - If you want to really cover your ass, tell your PM doc that you took the benzo. You really don't want any surprises on a u-tox with a PM doc. He or she will drop you so fast your head will spin. The really don't like people who eff around. Tell him or her that you had an old script for benzos and took some for sleep or anxiety or whatever. I recommend you tell the doc though, just in case. You mentioned that you're 220 lbs, but I don't know how tall you are so I have no idea how much body fat you really have. You could be 220lbs and be 5'2" or you could be 220lbs and be 6'2". that makes a big difference. Either way, good luck!
    Helpful Lynx4, Blackmore, SpaceMatters Rated helpful
    Like chris100, Carter liked this post
    I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong ~ Jerry garcia

Quote Originally Posted by chris100 View Post
    I wanted to know if my pain doctor was to do a urine test on me for benzos, how long should i stop taking them so they dont show up in the test? I take 1 or 2 ,1mg of xanax a day. Im about 220 pounds and i have an appt. with him March 22. If he does a urine test on me for benzos, will it show up if i stopped taking them 2 weeks before my appt? I would love to here your input about this. I just remembered i did sign for them to be aloud to do this on me. So how long will it be in my system before i do my test?? They might not do it , but you never know. I just wanted an idea when it will be safe for me to stop taking them before my appt.? Thanks.
    I have had people I work with pop positive for Xanax three weeks after discontinuing moderate use. I agree with the suggestion that 30 days probably would be long enough but you really never know for sure.
    Also agree it's better to be honest with your doctor. However, if you don't have a valid prescription for the Xanax and you want to continue to be treated by this doctor, I'd suggest you discontinue your Xanax use with a taper. I can't imagine the "I bought it on the Internet" is going to fly with a pain management physician these days.
    Helpful SpaceMatters Rated helpful
    Like chris100 liked this post

In a lovely wooded area where the birds sing
    Lynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant future

If it's your first visit with him he'll more than likely do a UA. I haven't heard of any pain doctors who DON'T do a UA on the first visit. I'd suggest you stop quickly and pray if you don't intend to tell him about the xanax. I have a family member who was positive for benzos 3 weeks after taking a xanax. A steady user would take longer to clear out their system.

One saving grace and I don't know if all clinics are like this or not: on my first visit I was asked what I had taken in the last week. I had to do a UA and was told that it didn't matter what showed up on that first UA, but all the other tests could only show what they prescribed. I didn't have anything in my system that I didn't have a prescription for so I didn't worry about it, but it would be helpful for people who had THC or benzos in their system that wasn't prescribed.

I think Chris' biggest problem is that using 2mgs a day for months could mean that the benzo would show up after a month or even 6 weeks. Benzos are notorious for staying in your system for a long time if you are a daily user of a moderate amount.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Helpful SpaceMatters Rated helpful

chris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to behold

This will be my fourth time seeing my pain doctor. And your right, the first time he did a urine test on me,and everything was fine. Thats cause i was not taking any benzos. Its just something i was thinking of cause i know they can test me at anytime. They only did it my first visit though. I only go to my pain doctor so he can give me my script. But he does have a nurse that works with him,so its up to her i guess if she desides to test me. Im not a big time benzo user, so i feel if i stop taking them in the next few days, i will be fine for the test. Mar 22 is about 3 weeks away, so i think i will be ok. Thanks for your comments.

My own personal experience with UA tests was 14 days after use I gave negative results [I was on daily use for several years]. This was with nitrazepam, diazepam and etizolam. If you were to stop now you can be fairly confident that by the 22nd your urine will be clean.

8. Yea i agree with Benway a few months ago i had to give a sample and I stayed clean for 2 weeks and the result came back negative. Your probably best stopping now though just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx4 View Post
    One saving grace and I don't know if all clinics are like this or not: on my first visit I was asked what I had taken in the last week. I had to do a UA and was told that it didn't matter what showed up on that first UA, but all the other tests could only show what they prescribed. I didn't have anything in my system that I didn't have a prescription for so I didn't worry about it, but it would be helpful for people who had THC or benzos in their system that wasn't prescribed.
    This is very common in pain management currently.
    The initial urine tox screen is done to establish a "baseline" for the patient's future treatment. Ongoing tests are then typically measured against this baseline.
    Helpful dingleberry Rated helpful

dingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to behold

Do the urine tests used at pain management clinics detect the difference between different types of benzos? Lets say they rx you a high dose of klonopin but you happen to take some xanax that month. Basically can the tests distinguish between benzos typically or do they read out the same? I have an excuse since I was rx'd xanax primarily and could say I had some left that I used, but I don't like complications and would like to know.

Katniss has a spectacular aura aboutKatniss has a spectacular aura aboutKatniss has a spectacular aura aboutKatniss has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by chris100 View Post
    Chris,
    I read that Xanax can still show up in your urine 72 days after you take your last pill.
    So..I'd stop much longer than 2 weeks before you see him. Also, be careful, for a lot of people, stopping xanax cold turkey can not only be extremely painful, but it can be dangerous, as it can cause siezures and even death.
    All the best Chris...
    oh...and just an fyi, , I still tested positive for benzos 6 months after taking my last diazepam...although diazepam lasts a lot longer in your system than xanax does. I do remember testing positive 2 1/2 months after my last xanax.
    This tends to only happen if you are a regular user...not if you only have used them once or twice.

Good luck

Emmma
    Helpful Gullible Rated helpful

Perromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to all

Highly liposulible benzos with a long half life as diazepam can do that to some after chronic use. X's capability to show up that much later comes as a surprise to me.
    ''since nothing put us together nothing will tear us apart ''

RahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by dingleberry View Post
    Do the urine tests used at pain management clinics detect the difference between different types of benzos? Lets say they rx you a high dose of klonopin but you happen to take some xanax that month. Basically can the tests distinguish between benzos typically or do they read out the same? I have an excuse since I was rx'd xanax primarily and could say I had some left that I used, but I don't like complications and would like to know.
    Absolutely yes. A GSA or Gas Spectral Analysis is very accurate and can determine the difference between all sorts of chemical combinations.
    An analysis of a hair sample using Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry can reveal drug use dating back up to six months can also determine drug type...I think that, regarding some previous statements in this thread that this is the the most likely way to find benzo use over a long period. I haven't heard of positive tests from urine that detect use past two -three weeks previous to last use no matter how heavy your usage...but, anything is possible.
    "Hell Is Other People." - Jean-Paul Sartre

dingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by RahoulDuke View Post
    Absolutely yes. A GSA or Gas Spectral Analysis is very accurate and can determine the difference between all sorts of chemical combinations.
    An analysis of a hair sample using Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry can reveal drug use dating back up to six months can also determine drug type...I think that, regarding some previous statements in this thread that this is the the most likely way to find benzo use over a long period. I haven't heard of positive tests from urine that detect use past two -three weeks previous to last use no matter how heavy your usage...but, anything is possible.

Well I know it is possible to distinguish between benzos scientifically speaking, but I have also heard those tests are very expensive and few pain clinics use such tests, they just check for benzos in general. And certainly my pain clinic nor any others I know of use the hair follical test. I am wondering for a standard clinic that does urinalysis are they checking between the types of benzos or as the more simple less expensive tests do they only pick up benzodiazipines in general. I am still not 100% on this as answers vary wildly. Maybe Ill just have to test it and find out...

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 5 minutes after the last post:*

Hell I have a good enough relationship with my doctor I could just ask him to switch me to xanax for the month to help keep the klonopin effective I am sure hed do it he doesnt care which benzo I use he says its my request, but still, due to the DEA he has to do the urinalisis to look "kosher" (their database's can tell which docs doing tests and whos not) and I rather just know if it matter which I take, I don't want him to think less of me were pretty much as close to friends as a patient/ doctor can get. Decisions decisons on how to approach this, I rather just know that their test just checks for benzos and not specifics...
    Last edited by dingleberry; 08-15-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    Like RahoulDuke liked this post

RahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really niceRahoulDuke is just really nice

[QUOTE=dingleberry;299175]Well I know it is possible to distinguish between benzos scientifically speaking, but I have also heard those tests are very expensive and few pain clinics use such tests, they just check for benzos in general. And certainly my pain clinic nor any others I know of use the hair follical test. I am wondering for a standard clinic that does urinalysis are they checking between the types of benzos or as the more simple less expensive tests do they only pick up benzodiazipines in general. I am still not 100% on this as answers vary wildly. Maybe Ill just have to test it and find out...

Hey Dingleberry, are you in a maintenance program? I was on methadone for years and I am sure those cheapskates only used the 'dipstick' test which does only show positive for general benzo's and is NOT specific. The only measure they took was punitive. They took away any take home doses you may have earned for staying off of non-prescribed drugs....if you have a script then you should be in good shape. Good Luck
    Helpful dingleberry Rated helpful
    "Hell Is Other People." - Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by alumni View Post
    This is very common in pain management currently.
    The initial urine tox screen is done to establish a "baseline" for the patient's future treatment. Ongoing tests are then typically measured against this baseline.
    Yes this is what they explained to me when they popped the whole urinalysis thing after the first year of no pee at all. Frankly I was surprised they had been so loose, and in many ways continue to be.
    Like RahoulDuke liked this post

Perromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to all

Well, don't expect them to go through stuff like GSA all of the times (time consuming and expensive) unless there's something hot behind the reason why they are testing you, such as legal issues or related to crime. They'll just prove you positive to a certain family of drugs and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Perromaldido View Post
    Well, don't expect them to go through stuff like GSA all of the times (time consuming and expensive) unless there's something hot behind the reason why they are testing you, such as legal issues or related to crime. They'll just prove you positive to a certain family of drugs and that's it.
    Maybe where you live but among the pain management practices I know, if they establish a baseline with a GC-MS quantitative analysis, they will continue to test for these levels regardless of the cost involved. It's all part of the overall treatment expense.
    And most of these GC-MS tests have a 24 hour turnaround. Not instant like a dip test but really not all that time consuming.
    Are you regularly tested at a pain management clinic in the country where you are living?

Myself, I'm not @alumni. My doc will ask me to from time to time, although seldom. I should think that people on much harsher conditions than I am are. After all health is a constutional right regardless the fact one may be literally pennyless, and though they keep cutting on its cost the basic idea survives nationwide (but I am very glad to enjoy of this citizenship benefit where I am rather than in the South of the peninsula) so if your GP signs the papers for you to go through any kind of test, hospitals will do that regardless of how much it may cost. Most private clinics have an agreement with the state and will do that too, maybe against a real small fee, and that's the way I like best.

synthetikal is offline Banned Reason: Attempted selling through the forum; multiple accounts
    synthetikal has a spectacular aura aboutsynthetikal has a spectacular aura aboutsynthetikal has a spectacular aura aboutsynthetikal has a spectacular aura aboutsynthetikal has a spectacular aura about

Despite needing to wait a long duration of time to get whatever it is out of your sytem (alpraz in this case) if you can't not have them for say 2 weeks for whatever reason, there are multiple OTC cleansers that are about 30$ you can buy that work within 4 hours of testing, basically drink a shit ton of water, drink the huge bottle of cleansing whatever, drink a crap load more water, pee a few times, then 4th pee give sample, ive used this numerous times to pass tests, not the dip stick ones but where they get sent to a lab (and costs my insurance 480$) at this place in new york. Otherwise get a friends urine, put it into a condon, tape it inside your thigh with panty hose rubber banded down around it w/ warming pads (like you would use for hunting - put in your boots) (after you stop at a gas station and nuke the shit out of it) and you'll be g2g as long as they dont stare at your man penis while you go. Try to get a male urine sample, dont want to show up pregnant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast