It was long overdue to introduce a 'like' button on the bottom of posts so that we can show appreciation for those posts which might be funny etc but which do not necessarily contain information which would be useful for a lot of other people to read. Please continue to use the helpful posts thumbs up rating button only to rate posts which are truly helpful to others. I have removed the limit on how many posts per day can be rated helpful, but we will keep that under review. Also underneath each post there will now be a list of people who liked or rated helpful that post, if any. (Unfortunately I could not get the existing helpful post ratings for each post to display, but they are saved in the system and count toward your reputation.)
All about reputation......
The "pips" in the top right of each post show that member's reputation score.
Each of the dark green reputation pips equals 25 reputation points.
Once you have 5 dark green pips you move on to light green pips.
Each of the light green reputation pips equals 50 reputation points.
Once you have 5 light green pips you move on to yellow pips.
Each of the yellow reputation pips equals 100 reputation points.
Once you have 5 yellow pips you move on to blue pips.
Each of the blue reputation pips equals 250 reputation points.
Once you have 5 blue pips you move on to ruby pips.
Each of the ruby reputation pips equals 500 reputation points.
Once you have 5 ruby pips you move on to another color. I'll post the details of that once someone gets that far.
You can see your own reputation score if you click on the 'User CP' link, and scroll down to the bottom. Beside the 'Latest Reputation Received' table it should tell you your total score. You can't see other people's exact score.
How reputation scores are calculated:
New members start with 0 reputation points.
- Each time someone hits the new 'like' button on one of your posts you get +1 reputation point
- Each time someone hits the helpful post rating button on one of your posts you get +2 reputation points (unless that person has less than 5 posts in which case you will get only +1 reputation point).
[Update August 24, 2011]
Only the first 5 likes and the first 5 helpful votes you give in any 24 hour period will increase the recipient's reputation score. If you give any more than 5 likes or helpfuls in a 24 hour period the person whose posts you liked or rated helpful will still be notified that you rated them, but they won't receive any reputation points. This is to gently discourage people from giving more than 5 likes or helpful ratings per day, which could devalue the system.
[end of update]
Only registered forum members can hit the buttons, guests can't.
- Every 100 days you are an active member of the forum gives you +1 reputation point
- Every 25 posts you make gives you +1 reputation point
- You will also gain 2 reputation points if a new member signs up to the board and mentions your username when they are asked on the registration form if a current member referred them.
- Infractions (given by moderators for breaking the forum rules) reduce your reputation score by 5 points.
Admission to the restricted area
You will need 60 posts, a reputation score of 30, and to have been a member for at least 1 month. Once you meet all these criteria you will gain access automatically (although the system only updates accounts once/hour so you might have to wait up to 1 hour).