Thread: Are progestins used in the mini pill bad for people with pre-exisiting blood clots taking warfarin

dartchucker is offline Junior Member

Default Are progestins used in the mini pill bad for people with pre-exisiting blood clots taking warfarin

I am really confused. My doctor said that the mini pill does not cause blood clots and that it is the estrogens in regular birth control that do. He says he prescribes them to his patients that can't take estrogens for, one of those reasons being, risk of blood clots. However, I looked all over the internet and other doctors (online) say that it is the progestins that cause the blood clots, heart attacks, and strokes etc. I don't know who to believe. I also know that being pregnant increase your risks and progesterone is the pregnancy hormone. Is my doctor wrong? Do women have higher estrogen levels when they're pregnant?

tinmuning is offline Moderator
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    First, blood clots are associated with other stuff and women can have clots even if they are not on the pill. Progesterone-only pills or the "mini pills" have less or no increased risk of having such clots. Those pills with estrogen have more risk of having clots (compared to mini pills) however, we're talking about very little risk here. More risk (3-4 times than the usual) is associated with 2nd generation combined OCPs (combined progesterone & estrogen) and 6-8 times more with 3rd generation OCPs. Lastly, yes, high estrogen levels are associated with normal pregnancy.