NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 959 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Phentermine, how long on and how long off?

Aliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of light

Default Phentermine, how long on and how long off?

hi there,

I take mine 5 days a week for 8 weeks then the following 8 weeks it is phentermine free which I find unbearable. Just wondered how you do it?

2. Orlistat

@Aliceinwonderland
    Same here. I wrote about in another thread ( I can't remember which one ? ) but I take my phen for a couple of months
    and then I take a couple of months off so it won't completely lose it's effectiveness.
    When I stop taking it I feel pretty crappy---especially that first week---all I want to do is sleep and eat carbs.
    Last edited by bambino; 08-25-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Aliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAliceinwonderland is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by bambino View Post
    @Aliceinwonderland
    Same here. I wrote about in another thread ( I can't remember which one ? ) but I take my phen for a couple of months
    and then I take a couple of months off so it won't completely lose it's effectiveness.
    When I stop taking it I feel pretty crappy---especially that first week---all I want to do is sleep and eat carbs.
    @bambino
    I didn't see that thread wish I had because sometimes I feel I am the only one who does this! I am glad the system works for you too but how the hell do you cope with the weeks off? I can't stand them. It makes me so depressed, I go up a size in clothes and want to eat everything in my fridge including the actual fridge. Dreading my next pill-less 8 weeks.
    Like hangingon liked this post

5. typically phen is prescribed upto 3 months and then time off is needed.

I would tend to go 3months with the aid of a modified higher protein diet and psyllium to help more with satiety and therefore weightloss. I might then take a week upto 3 weeks off but that was about it.
    Like Aliceinwonderland liked this post

@Aliceinwonderland
    I don't go up a size in clothes--but almost! By the end of my phen breaks all my clothes are really tight and I feel really uncomfortable.

I buy a lot of over the counter stuff to hold me over. Sometimes they help a little.
    I just try my best not to binge, but if I do, I'll make myself throw up . I know. It's pathetic.

I take it for 3 months then I take a week off. It seems to work for me. When I'm off it I have a hard time motivating myself to do anything...well except for eating.
    Like Aliceinwonderland, slick76, k9champ liked this post

@Aliceinwonderland
    I don't go up a size in clothes--but almost! By the end of my phen breaks all my clothes are really tight and I feel really uncomfortable.

I buy a lot of over the counter stuff to hold me over. Sometimes they help a little.
    I just try my best not to binge, but if I do, I'll make myself throw up . I know. It's pathetic.
    No it is not pathetic. I am just as bad, on my last pill free stint I went to a friends house (who's kid's had tonsillitis) in hope I would catch it and last year I tried to get chicken pox. If I am ill I don't eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliceinwonderland View Post
    No it is not pathetic. I am just as bad, on my last pill free stint I went to a friends house (who's kid's had tonsillitis) in hope I would catch it and last year I tried to get chicken pox. If I am ill I don't eat.
    Wow. Trying to get chicken pox---that's kind of crazy---but come to think of it, not really .
    I've used laxatives on a few occasions to lose weight---I've deliberately given myself wicked diarrhea and cramps!
    Now that's crazy.
    Last edited by bambino; 08-27-2011 at 12:32 PM.
    Like hangingon, slick76 liked this post

Wow. Trying to get chicken pox---that's kind of crazy---but come to think of it, not really .
    I've used laxatives on a few occasions to lose weight---I've deliberately given myself wicked diarrhea and cramps!
    Now that's crazy.
    Sounds like we are both fruitcakes but at least thin ones. I often wonder when the men in white jackets will be knocking at my door......
    Like hangingon, riverstyx liked this post

11. I'm thinking about buying some Phentermine...does anyone have any good advice? And how would you compare it to Adderall? Thanks.

@bambino what OTC diet aids do you buy? I hate my Phen breaks and I know I need something to help me get through til I can take Phen again. I don't take breaks in weeks. I skip 2 days then take one the next and then maybe 2 more days. Probably not the best way to take breaks.

@hanginon
    You name it I've bought it---Dexatrim, Acutrim, Hydroxycut, even that stupid Trim Spa.
    Most recently I bought this stuff from GNC called Appetrex Control. The only thing I haven't tried is Alli.
    The fact is, they all work A LITTLE---if you REALLY put your mind to it---but it's never easy.

Anyway, maybe you could try taking your phen everyday for a month or two and then take a break.
    Last edited by bambino; 09-07-2011 at 08:01 AM.

johnnylarue35 is just really nicejohnnylarue35 is just really nicejohnnylarue35 is just really nicejohnnylarue35 is just really nicejohnnylarue35 is just really nicejohnnylarue35 is just really nicejohnnylarue35 is just really nicejohnnylarue35 is just really nicejohnnylarue35 is just really nicejohnnylarue35 is just really nice

I find for me that before I go off Phen I increase my exercise about ten days before. And I try to sneak in an extra walk, or use the stairs, etc.

Then when your off phen you can ease back on exercise until your energy comes back.
    Helpful riverstyx Rated helpful
    Like slick76, Aliceinwonderland liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylarue35 View Post
    I find for me that before I go off Phen I increase my exercise about ten days before. And I try to sneak in an extra walk, or use the stairs, etc.

Then when your off phen you can ease back on exercise until your energy comes back.
    thanks @Johnny laure35, I am coming up to my phen break soon and not looking forward to it one bit. As of today I am going to run to my gym rather than drive.
    Like johnnylarue35 liked this post

16. Very funny! But true, I basically try to take a break whenever I feel it's safe enough, but definitely after one month, less if possible.
    Like bambino liked this post

17. What is the legal prescribing time? I had phentermine prescribed 2x bt the doc for 3 months each time, each time was over a year apart. So basically i used it for a grand total of 6 months over two and a half years. Now doc says Ohio laws say he cant prescribe again.. Is this true??

18. @bambino where do you get your phen from? been looking for it but nothing. Any advice?

good question. I've been reading around and people say they regain the weight as soon as they stop taking their phen. Is this simply from eating more?

@hanginon
    You name it I've bought it---Dexatrim, Acutrim, Hydroxycut, even that stupid Trim Spa.
    Most recently I bought this stuff from GNC called Appetrex Control. The only thing I haven't tried is Alli.
    The fact is, they all work A LITTLE---if you REALLY put your mind to it---but it's never easy.
    I remember the old Dexatrim from like 10 years ago - and from what I remember it worked pretty good, I miss it I'm reading now geranium/1,3-dimethylamylamine is the new thing. it's supposed to be like ephedra and might get banned - so you know if it's at risk for getting banned it probably works lol

Quote Originally Posted by BirdLover View Post
    I take it for 3 months then I take a week off. It seems to work for me. When I'm off it I have a hard time motivating myself to do anything...well except for eating.
    I'm right there with ya!

I took phentermine for 6 weeks on and 1 week off to prevent building a tolerance. Its kind of like kids taking a "holiday" from ADHD meds during school vacations
    ~ wherever I go there I am ~

Bungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by gsg909 View Post
    good question. I've been reading around and people say they regain the weight as soon as they stop taking their phen. Is this simply from eating more?

I remember the old Dexatrim from like 10 years ago - and from what I remember it worked pretty good, I miss it I'm reading now geranium/1,3-dimethylamylamine is the new thing. it's supposed to be like ephedra and might get banned - so you know if it's at risk for getting banned it probably works lol
    @gsg909
    The med is just part of the equation. If people make no lifestyle changes (or can't make them due to disability or other health reasons) - the weight loss is temporary. I've kept 35 pounds off for a year now and have 10 that comes and goes .. even with moderate eating and obsessive exercise. A person has to find out why they put on the weight in the first place and address that.

Thye phen itself isn't magic. It's an appetite suppressant. It doesn't make you burn more calories at rest .. just helps you eat less.

In my own case, it was a combination of poor eating choices, being sedentary, and my doc found a few medical things going on - an under active thyroid and a bizarre hormonal imbalance. I thought only women got those. Anyway, the endocrinologist I started seeing agreed that my labs explain some otherwise unexplained weight gain. For my part, I work out regularly and quit eating stupid stuff. No fanatical diet .. those fail.
    Helpful merrymiau, gsg909 Rated helpful
    We are the people our parents warned us about

22. Sibutramine