Thread: difference between A.d.d. meds and Methamphetimine or Phentermine?

1. Default difference between A.d.d. meds and Methamphetimine or Phentermine

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between a.d.d. medications and methampehetimine or the diet pill phentermine.
    Are these all the same thing?
    If you cant explain it I would appreciate links that might answer. Thanks in advance!

2. Orlistat

tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    There are different medications for ADD, most common are the "stimulant" medications such as Ritalin, Adderall & Dexedrine.

Ritalin is a brand name of the drug "methyphenidate" which treats daytime drowsiness symptoms of narcolepsy and chronic fatigue syndrome. Adderall is also a stimulant like Ritalin but uses mixed amphetamine salts. Similar to this would be the brand Dexedrine (generic drug: dextroamphetamine sulfate).

I don't know if you just confused yourself with Metamphetamine with the generic drug of Ritalin which is methyphenidate. Metamphetamine is also a stimulant and it is related to an ADHD & anti-obesity medication dextromethamphetamine (brand name Desoxyn). Desoxyn is used to treat ADD only if methylphenidate caused too much side effects.

Phentermine, on the other hand, is an appetite suppressant of the amphetamine and phenethylamine class.

4. Default difference between phentermine etc.

some years ago, Ephedra was banned. this drug is actually half phentermine, which is legal and the other half, well, it was banned. Phentermine is like the friendly half of amphentamine.

Peter Bragansa

5. Thank you both for your informative replies.

6. Would it be okay to take phentermine long term? I took phentermine for a year, stopped, and now take ritalin. I was only planning on taking phentermine for a couple months to loose weight, but that drug did WONDERS to help me with studying! After the year, I was prescribed with Adderall and that didn't work for me, then I tried Ritalin and that works pretty well, but not as great as phentermine did.

I want to know is it ok to take phentermine for long periods of time, such as 4 years, to finish pharmacy school?

Also, if Phentermine is an amphetamine, then how come this drug is only Controlled and not a Narcotic like the ADD medications?

I don't want to really severely hurt my health, but phentermine worked excellent for me and my doctor said it was "ok as long as I kept up with my straight A's and helped with school". BUT I do know that I cannot trust everyone's opinion.

AND if I take Ritalin for 5 or so years, will it have the same, less, or worse effect on my body as phentermine would ?

Any answers or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!
    Last edited by SummerIdyll33; 10-08-2009 at 01:34 AM.

7. Phentermine is a controlled substance, but only a CIV (schedule four) versus CII (schedule two) for the stronger Adderall, Desoxyn and Dexedrine. These last strong 3 are used on a daily basis, including myself, for ADHD; therefore daily phentermine use is also considered safe at 30mg-60mg/day dosage (30 mg capsule is common dose for Fastin and Ionamine) and 37.5 mg tablet for Adipex-P. In regaerds to the Phen-Phen comment above, the bad Phen was phenylpropanolamine (original ingredient for Dexatrim, but now replaced with phenylephrine or similar compound)used in conjunction with phentermine. I am a medicinal chemist so I can answer just about anything regarding pharmaceuticals, their structure-activity relationships and indications (used for what?).

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 10 minutes after the last post:*

Correction above, The bad fen was fenfluramine when used in conjunction with phentermine. Sorry about that, should have reviewed before answering.
    Last edited by chemist; 03-10-2011 at 05:17 PM.

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

@chemist They use methamphetamine (desoxyn) and adderall to treat your adhd? And dexedrine is one of the components of adderall, so why would they add that to your mix? I'm sorry but I just don't believe that you're prescribed all three medications for adhd. Meth has such a high abuse potential I have never run across anyone who has been prescribed it for adhd. Adderall is plenty potent by itself. And all three together?

Where did you do your schooling? What are your credentials? You say you're a chemist but . . . why are you on PR? If you are a chemist, then you should be able to explain the pharmacology of desoxyn in words that a layman can understand.

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 6 minutes after the last post:*

@peter_bragansa ephedra and phentermine are not two halves of the same coin, so to speak. Phentermine is synthetic and still prescribed (rarely) for weight loss, but ephedra is a plant alkaloid and was banned some years ago. The only thing they have in common is that they are both sympathomimetic amines, meaning that that it contains nitrogen (amine) and is a CNS stimulant (sympathomimetic). But they were never combined into one drug. Phentermine used to be combined with fenfluramine, which is what you might be mistaking it with.
    Last edited by QVC1212; 03-11-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Dbrent is offline Banned Reason: shilling for an email source

i agree with you QVC, it is EXTREMELY rare for doctors to prescribe Desoxyn (methamphetamine), for ADHD, it is always a last-ditch effort after the common meds and after Dexedrine (amphetamine). And if they DID prescribe Desoxyn in a last ditch effort they definatly wouldnt prescribe it along with another amphetamine.

cosmofixed1 is offline Banned Reason: repeated advertising within weeks of joining the forum

Adderall is just amphetamine salts, it doesn't have the meth part. But my friend has taken both several times and prefers adderall.

11. Sibutramine