Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merck releasing new sleep aid Suvorexant

DulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant future

Default Merck releasing new sleep aid Suvorexant

Merck researchers developed suvorexant to target and block orexins, chemical messengers that originate from the hypothalamus (an important sleep center in the brain) that help to keep you awake. By blocking the actions of orexins, suvorexant helps to facilitate sleep. Merck plans to file a New Drug Application (NDA) for suvorexant with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2012, making it one of the company’s six major filings planned for 2012 and 2013.

“We specifically focused our research efforts on insomnia because it is an area of significant unmet medical need,” said Darryle D. Schoepp, Ph.D., senior vice president and head of Neuroscience and Ophthalmology franchise, Merck Research Laboratories. “Suvorexant approaches insomnia differently than other medicines because it helps patients to sleep by targeting and blocking orexins, which play a role in keeping people awake. We’re excited about the Phase III results and the potential of suvorexant to become the first in a new class of medicines to help patients with insomnia.”

Link - Merck News Item
    Unlike personality, "character" is what you do when no one knows. - Me

GoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really nice

I hear the sound of money.....
    Helpful Squelix Rated helpful
    Like Carter, Quaalude liked this post

3. I'm 39 and have never been able to sleep <13. 4-6hrs a night is my max. What I would not pay for "real" sleep. sigh....my mom has the same issue. Runs in the jeans . poo

DulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant future

This product sounds promising. Apparently they really tested it to death. Negligible tolerance/dependence build up with control group testing for over a year of daily use. I think the concept of blocking the neurotransmitters that regulate arousal, wakefulness and appetite rather than trying to induce a tired and sleepy feeling makes sense.
    Like Gman liked this post
    Unlike personality, "character" is what you do when no one knows. - Me

chris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to behold

My PSYCH doctor has me om 600mg of seroquil at night time for sleep. It only works for 3 hrs though. I asked him if there was something stronger he could give me and he said no. He said if 600mg is not helping then there wouldnt be anything stroger to give me to knock me out. Is this true???? Isnt there a sleeping pill or something? I find that hard to beleive.

UGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant future

I have always had insomnia since I was a baby. My 12 year old daughter and my 7 year old son follow in my footsteps and I struggle with them daily getting sleep. Last night my son finally fell asleep at 1 am and was wide awake at 6 am ready to go. I on the other hand am dead tired and I leave out tonight to go stay with family members that need my assistance for a couple weeks. Ugh. I know he will be worst when I return.

I have never figured out why I am missing a sleep gene. I just don't sleep. Not with out meds that I finally started four years ago. I fought it for years to handle naturally and nothing working.

But yes this is going to be the sound of money for the company.
    Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

7. Quote Originally Posted by DevilishOne View Post
    Merck researchers developed suvorexant to target and block orexins, chemical messengers that originate from the hypothalamus (an important sleep center in the brain) that help to keep you awake. By blocking the actions of orexins, suvorexant helps to facilitate sleep. Merck plans to file a New Drug Application (NDA) for suvorexant with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2012, making it one of the company’s six major filings planned for 2012 and 2013.

“We specifically focused our research efforts on insomnia because it is an area of significant unmet medical need,” said Darryle D. Schoepp, Ph.D., senior vice president and head of Neuroscience and Ophthalmology franchise, Merck Research Laboratories. “Suvorexant approaches insomnia differently than other medicines because it helps patients to sleep by targeting and blocking orexins, which play a role in keeping people awake. We’re excited about the Phase III results and the potential of suvorexant to become the first in a new class of medicines to help patients with insomnia.”

Link - Merck News Item
    Thank you for your wonderful post. I am glad to hear that someone hasn't given up on us hard core insomniacs.
    Like UGAgal, Gman liked this post

Zombiefisher will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by chris100 View Post
    My PSYCH doctor has me om 600mg of seroquil at night time for sleep. It only works for 3 hrs though. I asked him if there was something stronger he could give me and he said no. He said if 600mg is not helping then there wouldnt be anything stroger to give me to knock me out. Is this true???? Isnt there a sleeping pill or something? I find that hard to beleive.
    I'm not a doctor or pharmacist but I know that 600mg is a strong dose of seroquel (Quetiapine) for most people. It may be as strong as it can be for that class of medicine but your doc could try benzodiazepines or the "z" drugs. Maybe even antihistamines. Have you tried other medicines or methods to help with sleep? Best of luck.

Cheers
    Z.F.

Ps not trying to high-jack... Sorry
    Like chris100 liked this post

chris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to beholdchris100 is a splendid one to behold

He is going to run some tests on me and make sure things are ok, blood, urine. Then he will go from there. At least this doctor is trying things on me to see what the problem can be. He is a very nice doctor. I will keep you updated my friends.

Zombiefisher will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by chris100 View Post
    He is going to run some tests on me and make sure things are ok, blood, urine. Then he will go from there. At least this doctor is trying things on me to see what the problem can be. He is a very nice doctor. I will keep you updated my friends.
    Any update chris100 on your test results? If don't wish to share I understand co
    completely but I was curious if you and your doctor were any closer to solving your ailments. Best of luck and best wishes my neighbor to the north. God bless America and Canada

Cheers
    Z.F.
    Like chris100, Gman liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiefisher View Post
    Any update chris100 on your test results? If don't wish to share I understand co
    completely but I was curious if you and your doctor were any closer to solving your ailments. Best of luck and best wishes my neighbor to the north. God bless America and Canada

Cheers
    Z.F.
    I dont have anything yet, but it will be soon. Thanks for asking. I will keep in touch.

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 3 minutes after the last post:*

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiefisher View Post
    I'm not a doctor or pharmacist but I know that 600mg is a strong dose of seroquel (Quetiapine) for most people. It may be as strong as it can be for that class of medicine but your doc could try benzodiazepines or the "z" drugs. Maybe even antihistamines. Have you tried other medicines or methods to help with sleep? Best of luck.

Cheers
    Z.F.

Ps not trying to high-jack... Sorry
    My doctor will not give me benzos as of now. They would me cause i have tried them, but he stays away from giving them out. But i have a new doctor now so i hope he tries something with me.
    Last edited by chris100; 06-26-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Quaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by DevilishOne View Post

Link - Merck News Item
    Sounds almost too good to be true for us chronic insomniacs, however I somehow see the price in line with Provigil/Nuvigil (exorbitant) and a federal schedule (IV?) being slapped on this one. They love doing that with just about all the good hypnotics.

Gullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant future

I'm rooting for a reasonably priced knock off to start being offered. Where is china when you need her? But when it finally comes out it will no doubt show the same pattern of tolerance other drugs have just with a higher price sticker. When heroin was developed they said it was a cure for morphine addiction and was not addictive itself.
    Like mes amis, Gman liked this post
    Read blacklistednews.com for the inside stories.

UGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant future

Looks like Merck will be applying to FDA by end of 2012 to make this happen.

The trials went well from several stories out the last two weeks so will be interesting to see if a new pill will hit the market.

How long does it take for the approval process and then a pill to hit the market? I am just curious

Merck Provides Update on Development Program for Suvorexant, an Investigational Orexin Receptor Antagonist for the Treatme - FierceBiotech

Cash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond repute
    Cash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by UGAgal View Post
    Looks like Merck will be applying to FDA by end of 2012 to make this happen.

The trials went well from several stories out the last two weeks so will be interesting to see if a new pill will hit the market.

How long does it take for the approval process and then a pill to hit the market? I am just curious

Merck Provides Update on Development Program for Suvorexant, an Investigational Orexin Receptor Antagonist for the Treatme - FierceBiotech
    What type of sleep aid is this....I guess I could just read the article you so nicely posted...
    Back to the beginning......

Quote Originally Posted by Cash View Post
    What type of sleep aid is this....I guess I could just read the article you so nicely posted...
    It is a hypnotic but not as crazy as ambien. They are looking for a safer sleep hypnotic to put on market without crazy ambien amnesia that folks get now.
    Helpful Cash, Gman Rated helpful

Gman is offline Banned Reason: Sent the administrator delerious PMs threatening to try to hack this site
    Gman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond repute
    Gman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond repute

Default Wow.about time

Quote Originally Posted by DevilishOne View Post

Link - Merck News Item
    Nice researching @DevilishOne
    Very exciting news indeed!

G
    Nice

coachmcguirk has a spectacular aura aboutcoachmcguirk has a spectacular aura aboutcoachmcguirk has a spectacular aura aboutcoachmcguirk has a spectacular aura aboutcoachmcguirk has a spectacular aura aboutcoachmcguirk has a spectacular aura about

Interesting! Hadn't heard of this one. The orexin system is really fascinating, and it's pretty certain there are going to be some amazing drugs for this target in the coming years.

It's also interesting that an orexin antagonist is the first one to hit the market. Most of the earlier (though still very recent) research was in using orexin to promote wakefulness and correcting for loss of sleep in a novel way.

Systemic and nasal delivery of orexin-A (Hypocretin-1) reduces the effects of sleep deprivation on cognitive performance in nonhuman primates.

It's pretty amazing that it's in phase III of clinical trials already...the first paper (of a total 8) in medline is from a mere 2 years ago :O
    Last edited by coachmcguirk; 11-07-2012 at 01:44 AM.

Sassypat has a spectacular aura aboutSassypat has a spectacular aura aboutSassypat has a spectacular aura aboutSassypat has a spectacular aura aboutSassypat has a spectacular aura aboutSassypat has a spectacular aura about

The FDA rejected the drug. That's part of the reason there are 16,000 layoffs going on.

20. Quote Originally Posted by Sassypat View Post
    The FDA rejected the drug. That's part of the reason there are 16,000 layoffs going on.
    Chingada madre. Maybe the Chinese can make some and we can buy it from our "little foreign friends" that we are all so fond of here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast