Thread: how to gain weight?

1. Default how to gain weight?

so last oct i broke my foot, which put a real cramp in my cooking. then over thanksgiving, norovirus swept through the house. i spent a whole day with my gs holding a bowl in front of him as he vomited every 20 minutes. so i caught that, of course. then two and a half weeks ago, i got the flu. i could hardly get out of bed for 2 weeks. i went to an urgent care and was given an iv of fluids. they weighed me and i was 90 lbs, at 5'9.

so i still feel awful and am trying to gain some weight. i bought some odwalla protein drinks and force myself to eat. i'm too weak still to cook, so i just buy the healthiest frozen stuff, plus eat crackers and popcorn. i have no appetite. i have chills, so i think my iron is low, but iron upsets my stomach.

any advice on improving appetite? how long does it take for weight gain to help? do i need another doc visit? i'm so worn out i have no energy.
    Like 2005cbr1000rr liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    how to gain weight?
    jannie is a jewel in the roughjannie is a jewel in the roughjannie is a jewel in the roughjannie is a jewel in the roughjannie is a jewel in the roughjannie is a jewel in the roughjannie is a jewel in the rough

You need to get yourself some Ensure. It's a high calorie, high protein drink all packed into 1 cup servings if you buy the premixed bottles, also comes in a powder form but then you need a blender or good shaker cup to mix with water or juices, fruit. It sounds like your pretty under weight for 5' 9", your body needs protein to heal and enough calories. There are several options calorie wise for the product line, the highest having 350 calories per bottle/ 8 ounce serving, which I would try to find for yourself, you could easily drink at least 3 of these a day with some added snacks and probably start to feel better in a week or so. Crackers and popcorn really don't have anything nutritional in them, snack on nuts or yogurt, cheeses if that's something you like, all easy to just grab without much fuss. If you have a Costco/Sams Club/Walmart near by would be the cheapest, can buy them by the case. I would try each flavor to see which is most to your liking before buying a whole case though. If you go online to the Ensure site you can get some coupons too, also some recipes. Hospitals use a similar product for patients in your same situation. Hope you start to feel a little better soon!
    Like notcharlotte, 2005cbr1000rr liked this post

4. i bought some boost, @jannie, and it tastes so bad that i went with odwalla. they have 36 grams of protein and 410 calories. does ensure taste better?

I've always had trouble gaining weight, but recently I have just been drinking more milk and I've been able to gain about a pound every two weeks. Like instead of filling the cup halfway with milk, I would fill the cup completely.

It's not really the same scenario though. I was only slightly underweight and generally in good health. But after a month I finally hit "normal weight" instead of "underweight."
    Helpful notcharlotte Rated helpful

jannie is a jewel in the roughjannie is a jewel in the roughjannie is a jewel in the roughjannie is a jewel in the roughjannie is a jewel in the roughjannie is a jewel in the roughjannie is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by notcharlotte View Post
    i bought some boost, @jannie, and it tastes so bad that i went with odwalla. they have 36 grams of protein and 410 calories. does ensure taste better?
    If the Odwalla has that much protein and calories it would work for you also, but you need to drink more than just one a day. Also depends on how that much protein and calories is distributed via fluid ounces, if the Odwalla is spread over 12-16 ounces compared to the Ensure over 8 ounces, you may feel too full having to drink several Odwalla a day. As for taste, I work in a hospital so go by what my patients tell me, everyone is different so you would have to try just one of the Ensure to see if you liked it. Make sure and chill them too.

7. thanks, I will try some ensure. I'm just not able to afford more than one a day. today I was reading about black strap molasses and I'm going to start taking some tomorrow for the extra iron. I have been a little better today after a week on odwalla and three meals plus snacks. but it's the lack of appetite that concerns me. I literally force myself to eat. but I would like the energy to enjoy life again.
    @SnowPenguin, I've read about adding full milk and milk powder to things, but I've never been able to drink milk. milk at lunch was the most hated part of my school day. I must have had milk as a baby, but I was breastfed so maybe I did not.

Ironically, I usually eat no sugar because of hypoglycemia and have lost my sweet tooth. We have a box of Dunkin donuts in the kitchen and I have no desire to touch them. One website said just eat everything. Yeah, if someone wants to feed me healthy meals I'm in, but in the meantime I don't want to be some old lady who can't walk down the street. If I have to eat some crap along the way I'll do it. Before this I hate few processed foods and sweets, but sugar is an appetite stimulant which I need now. Sorry for the monologue. See, I do feel better.
    Like 2005cbr1000rr, SnowPenguin liked this post

@notcharlotte Oh, that's unfortunate about the milk. I wonder if you're lactose intolerant or if it's something else about the milk that doesn't agree with you. If the odwalla drink is working out for you, I'd stick with that for sure. I think as you put on weight you should begin to feel better and have more energy and appetite.

Check your weight every couple days on the scale to make sure you're on track. I was told to mark it down each time, so I could see the general trendline, because your weight naturally fluctuates which can be discouraging if you just look at a single day's measurement.
    Like notcharlotte liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by notcharlotte View Post
    so last oct i broke my foot, which put a real cramp in my cooking. then over thanksgiving, norovirus swept through the house. i spent a whole day with my gs holding a bowl in front of him as he vomited every 20 minutes. so i caught that, of course. then two and a half weeks ago, i got the flu. i could hardly get out of bed for 2 weeks. i went to an urgent care and was given an iv of fluids. they weighed me and i was 90 lbs, at 5'9.

so i still feel awful and am trying to gain some weight. i bought some odwalla protein drinks and force myself to eat. i'm too weak still to cook, so i just buy the healthiest frozen stuff, plus eat crackers and popcorn. i have no appetite. i have chills, so i think my iron is low, but iron upsets my stomach.

any advice on improving appetite? how long does it take for weight gain to help? do i need another doc visit? i'm so worn out i have no energy.

This may be totally off, but have you had your lungs checked out? Pneumonia can sneak up on you, especially if you've had a run of illnesses. Years ago, I had a case go undiagnosed for quite some time, before I finally collapsed while visiting relatives. I too, had lost a lot of weight and was tired all the time. Once I got to their doctor I got a chest x-ray and then began treatment. Perked up in a couple of days.
    Like notcharlotte liked this post

10. i'm going to see a rheumatologist next week because i might have an auto-immune disease. i have a cough, but it's in my throat, not my lungs. but that's a good suggestion. thanks.

I used ensure to gain weight I got it prescribed so it did not cost me anything. Are you in the states? do you have something similar to ensure over there?, also drink milkshakes and snack on nuts.
    oh and you can buy protein bars kaleen ( like in mean girls) that make you gain weight.

12. how to gain weight?