Thread: Is Mucinex even a high?

Default Is Mucinex even a high?

I have a 34 year old cousin who seems to abuse Mucinex. I mean the entire contents of each package. Does anyone know why that is or the possible side effects of longer term use? She cannot stop but when confronted, its just her sinus problem inquestion. I know the signs of addiction but she is in complete denial. Please help me with any input.

QVC1212 is offline Banned Reason: Shilling
    QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

It depends. Pure Mucinex contains the active ingredient guifenesin, which is just a lower respiratory expectorant (loosens phlegm in the chest so it can be coughed out). It has zero addictive potential and is not considered a controlled substance. Mucinex-D has pseudoephedrine in it and psuedo can be abused because it will get your blood pressure and heart rate to sky rocket, though the experience is not pleasant. Finally, Mucinex-M has the highest potential for abuse because it contains dextromethorphan, a mind-altering substance used to suppress cough and is dangerous at high doses. If abusing it, it is far more likely that he is taking a version with pseudo or dextro in it. As a medic we handed out plenty of guifenesin to people with lower respiratory infections, and they manifested no symptoms of addiction. A very sick addict, however, will sometime go to great lengths to try something new in a vain attempt to get a mood-altering "high".
    Last edited by QVC1212; 02-26-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling and grammatical errors

Magician is offline Distinguished Member
    Magician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, QVC thought of Mucinex-D and -M, which I'd forgotten about. I've only ever used Mucinex regular (or generic forms). And only because I wanted the anti-cough, moisturizing effect without the sugary syrup present in Robitussin, the standard solution. In any event, no form of mucinex or robitussin ever got me high. But I only ever took it when I was sick, so getting high wasn't even something I was thinking about. I wouldn't expect them to be addictive though, since the Mucinex is about ten times as strong as Robitussin, and neither require a proscription.

QVC has it right, I think. Maybe your cousin really does benefit from it.... heavy and chronic use is not the same as abuse or addiction.

I, on the other hand, abuse Snicker's Bars, given a chance....

islode is offline Honorable Member
    islode has a spectacular aura aboutislode has a spectacular aura aboutislode has a spectacular aura aboutislode has a spectacular aura aboutislode has a spectacular aura about

I know this is serious but I had to laugh. mucinex, sometimes when you have been feeling bad and something makes you feel good you go whole hog. yeah @QVC1212 got technical and explained it in a way that made sense but this reminds me of the story my friend told "the old lady that lives next door sells everything her dr gives her-she is really old but still wants to live the life-anyway she was trying to sell abilify and zoloft. my question was did anybody buy it, her response "no...but she tried-. a little off topic but still in that realm.
    ditto @Magician
    Last edited by islode; 02-26-2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: additional@

QVC1212 is offline Banned Reason: Shilling
    QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

@sparkledanzinger I could see trying to sell abilify. I take that for my bipolar disorder. Thank God the VA pays for it. Do you have any idea how much a month's prescription is? Lithium, is like the cheapest mood stabilizer, whereas abilify is the most expensive: $400/month. That's $13.33 a pill. That's as expensive as some painkillers!

@Magician I LOVE Snicker's bars. MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm. Yummy.

islode is offline Honorable Member
    islode has a spectacular aura aboutislode has a spectacular aura aboutislode has a spectacular aura aboutislode has a spectacular aura aboutislode has a spectacular aura about

@QVC1212 It funny but if someone needed it then being able to buy it from some lady with insurance who is more than likely going to sell it for pennies a pill would be a godsend. she is greedy so know telling what she wanted for them. I bought some back up maintence meds from the freedom pharmacy or one of its sister sites. it is so much cheaper but my first order hit a snag because moneygram misspelled my name

Dbrent is offline Banned Reason: shilling for an email source

it wont get you high but the clearing of your lungs of phlem could make you breathe really well and be happy and could cause you to start using it excessively to breathe better