Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight gain after quitting opiates?

Clover88 is offline Member

Question Weight gain after quitting opiates?

I'm not sure if I have this in the right topic, but if not, I apologize, and please help me move it to the correct place.

I'm just wondering if it's normal to gain weight after quitting opiates? And will everything go back to normal in time?

I had a short codeine addiction back in Feb. 2013, and finally quit in May of 2013. Went through withdrawals and everything. Prior to starting codeine, I was already skinny with a fast metabolism (about 90 lbs). During the addiction, I got down to 84 lbs, and looked super skinny (but not in a good way, kinda boney). It's been a few months since I quit (haven't taken any since kicking the habit, happy to be clean!), but I noticed I gained about 12 or 13 lbs!! My clothes definitely are a little tighter, and last week I noticed cellulite on my butt and thighs (which I NEVER had before). I also have a constantly bloated belly that makes me look a little pregnant (I'm not).

Is it normal for this to happen after quitting opiates? And if so, will my body and metabolism go back to normal in time? Or is this a permanent thing now?

JackRyan is online now Distinguished Member
    JackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to behold

If you failed to eat properly and lost weight while using gaining some back is perfectly normal once you stopped. Though I really can't see how much an impact a roughly three month addiction to codeine would cause though opiates do slow metabolism. How much were you using? If you lost weight during that time I figure you weren't eating very much at all?

Your metabolism may still be sluggish but weight gain occurs because your eating more calories than your body burns its really that plain and simple though as humans we tend to complicate it. If you don't want to gain anymore weight I suggest you figure out your caloric maintenance level and don't eat more than that each day. If you want to lose weight eat less calories than you burn. Are you exercising? That can help with weight loss and getting your metabolism back to normal, although it's been quite a few months since May and it should have already leveled out. If your not eating more than maintenance levels and still gaining weight might want to see a doctor and have some blood panels done so issues such as being hypothyroid, etc can be ruled out.

Small aside I don't know how tall you are but your weight could be perfectly normal even if its around 100lbs if your at least 4.5-5 feet tall. You can calculate your BMI here Calculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator
    If your within normal range and you think that your weight is problematic, your too fat, etc. you may want to consider seeing a therapist about body image issues you may be having.
    Helpful DulyNoted, JackB Rated helpful
    No Gods or Kings, only man.

DulyNoted is offline Eminent Member
    DulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant futureDulyNoted has a brilliant future

That's a tough question @Clover88 - I think to attribute weight gain singularly and directly to codeine addiction recovery doesn't make sense but it's not hard to imagine that the changes in habits necessitated by the recovery process could easily lead to weight gain. The lack of energetic enthusiasm for things particularly exercise could be considered as well as changes in appetite, or food substitution for that warm feeling of well being that you've given up could be considered. IMHO you should just feel good about what you've done for yourself, and take advantage of a new level of well being that you must be enjoying, and just go about getting yourself in the shape you like and feel best and leave the bad days behind! BTW congratulations!
    Like Clover88 liked this post
    Unlike personality, "character" is what you do when no one knows. - Me

Clover88 is offline Member

@JackRyan- I was using 120 mg pure codeine phosphate a day. (I know that is not much compared to heavy users, but my body was hyper sensitive to codeine, so a little bit went a long way). I do remember not eating as much while using because the codeine took away my appetite.

I do know since I stopped using (and once the withdrawals were finished), I started eating more again- about the same amount I ate before using. I don't actually eat that much (in terms of meals per day. I have always more or less snacked throughout the day, with dinner being the only actual meal of the day). Sometimes I do eat potato chips or a twinkie, but as a treat. I didn't really exercise before using (I was pretty sedintary). But after using, I started exercising (to help with getting over the withdrawals). Initially when I started noticing the weight, I had thought it was from exercising, so I stopped. But nothing changed, and the weight just hung there (I wasn't losing, but had kind of leveled out at about 98 and it's pretty much stayed there). Can opiates screw up the thyroid?

I am 5'1" tall. I know my current weight is healthy for my height, but I can't stand the look of my fat ass and thick hips in proportion to the rest of my body (which still looks slender and small. I feel like I look unbalanced and strange).

SpaceMatters is offline Exalted Member
    SpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond repute
    SpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond repute
    @Clover88, your BMI says you are just above underweight. BMI's are not always the best indicator.

Our metabolism lowers naturally with age. Hormones play a part too. I know and believe in the calories in, calories out fact, but what folks sometimes forget to factor in is that how are bodies burn calories changes with age, hormones, etc ...

I don't think it's the ex-codeine addiction (and huge congrats on kicking them).

Best I can suggest is to tone the areas you don't like. Probably the reason you were gaining weight when you first started exercising is that muscle weighs more than fat. Or at least that is what I have read and heard many times.

Sincerely,

SM
    Helpful ladyghost Rated helpful
    It takes a long time to grow an old friend. - John Leonard

JackRyan is online now Distinguished Member
    JackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to beholdJackRyan is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Clover88 View Post
    @JackRyan
    I am 5'1" tall. I know my current weight is healthy for my height, but I can't stand the look of my fat ass and thick hips in proportion to the rest of my body (which still looks slender and small. I feel like I look unbalanced and strange).
    I can't stand the look of her fat ass and thick hips said no guy ever.....
    But If you still don't like your body the only real option is to work out and hope the weight loss occurs in those areas. There's no way to specifically lose weight from any body part spot reduction is a myth. However you're more likely to begin to lose weight from the last place your body stored it which sounds to me like those areas for you. Also it's very common for women to thicken up as they age especially in the areas your talking about nothing essentially wrong with it but again if you don't like it work on a diet and getting an exercise plan going. You could easily design a workout using simple free weights or resistance bands and workout at home instead of having to go to a gym.
    Like Gman, JackB liked this post
    No Gods or Kings, only man.

GeorgeTirebiter is offline Honorable Member
    GeorgeTirebiter is a glorious beacon of lightGeorgeTirebiter is a glorious beacon of lightGeorgeTirebiter is a glorious beacon of lightGeorgeTirebiter is a glorious beacon of lightGeorgeTirebiter is a glorious beacon of lightGeorgeTirebiter is a glorious beacon of lightGeorgeTirebiter is a glorious beacon of lightGeorgeTirebiter is a glorious beacon of lightGeorgeTirebiter is a glorious beacon of lightGeorgeTirebiter is a glorious beacon of lightGeorgeTirebiter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMatters View Post
    @Clover88... I know and believe in the calories in, calories out fact, but what folks sometimes forget to factor in is that how are bodies burn calories changes with age, hormones, etc ...
    Calories in, calories out...a maddening truism. While true from a "this is a physical law" standpoint, it reveals how little we know about human metabolism. The human body is not a calorimeter. Think about all the variables that make it impossible to compare digestion equally among people or among the same person at different times. @SpaceMatters mentions one (hormones). For another, think about bacteria. They outnumber our cells 10 to 1. They're critically important in terms of the "calories in, calories out" equation, but I don't know of anyone that could speak to, exactly, how this is the case.

Ever read about the "Twinkie Diet" guy? Or the "all potato diet" guy? Seems like any dietary change "re-sets" the body's fat utilization/storage balance. Kicking a drug (or starting one) might likewise be a trigger.

Fascinating stuff that will never be researched because there's no profit in it...
    Like SpaceMatters, merlot liked this post

Gman is offline Exalted Member
    Gman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JackRyan View Post
    I can't stand the look of her fat ass and thick hips said no guy ever.....
    But If you still don't like your body the only real option is to work out and hope the weight loss occurs in those areas. There's no way to specifically lose weight from any body part spot reduction is a myth. However you're more likely to begin to lose weight from the last place your body stored it which sounds to me like those areas for you. Also it's very common for women to thicken up as they age especially in the areas your talking about nothing essentially wrong with it but again if you don't like it work on a diet and getting an exercise plan going. You could easily design a workout using simple free weights or resistance bands and workout at home instead of having to go to a gym.
    Perhaps a thyroid issue.. One of the most missed tests by doctors. Just had mine checked...off the charts, also causes fatigue etc
    Hypothyroidism...a good bit of info here:
    thyroid dot ca/hypothyroidism dot php

Just a thought
    sincerly
    Gman
    Helpful merlot Rated helpful
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much

dvz
    dvz is offline Honorable Member
    dvz is a glorious beacon of lightdvz is a glorious beacon of lightdvz is a glorious beacon of lightdvz is a glorious beacon of lightdvz is a glorious beacon of lightdvz is a glorious beacon of lightdvz is a glorious beacon of lightdvz is a glorious beacon of lightdvz is a glorious beacon of lightdvz is a glorious beacon of lightdvz is a glorious beacon of light

@Clover88 Weight gain *after* quitting opiates is a new one one me. Most people I know, especially those who like their Vikes, get HONGRAY. Happened to Eminem for example. Guy was always slim, and then he puffed up like a puffer fish when he was deep in it. Your metabolism may be needing a "reset", though it sounds like you were not doing all that much to begin with. Still...mysteries of biology and all that. Opiates can really mess with fluids, hence your bloating and cellulite. Give it time.
    Helpful Gman Rated helpful
    Like JackB liked this post

Rexxen is offline Senior Member
    Rexxen has a spectacular aura aboutRexxen has a spectacular aura aboutRexxen has a spectacular aura aboutRexxen has a spectacular aura aboutRexxen has a spectacular aura about

Wow never heard of that unless a deeply strung out and cannot buy food. Opiates always made me want to eat and was very easy for me to gain weight while taking opiates, when i went through withdrawal , I lost weight due to not wanting to eat and nothing seemed to taste well. I always lost weight without opiates and gained it while on them...
    Seems strange..
    Helpful Gman Rated helpful
    Like dvz, Lizzie Lou, JackB liked this post

Gman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dvz View Post
    @Clover88 Weight gain *after* quitting opiates is a new one one me. Most people I know, especially those who like their Vikes, get HONGRAY. Happened to Eminem for example. Guy was always slim, and then he puffed up like a puffer fish when he was deep in it. Your metabolism may be needing a "reset", though it sounds like you were not doing all that much to begin with. Still...mysteries of biology and all that. Opiates can really mess with fluids, hence your bloating and cellulite. Give it time.
    @DVC is correct
    Opiates/Opioids make you hungry and turn you into a blow-fish. No need to cite med quotes.. I know this first hand. Also seen in others, empirical evidence.

Gman
    Like dvz, Lizzie Lou liked this post

Alicenwonderland is offline Honorable Member
    Alicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with @Gman I was always hungry on opiates and lose weight when I'm not on them. But hey, everyone's different. But I highly doubt you're a "fatass" at 98 lbs.
    Like dvz, Gman, Lizzie Lou liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Alicenwonderland View Post
    I agree with @Gman I was always hungry on opiates and lose weight when I'm not on them. But hey, everyone's different. But I highly doubt you're a "fatass" at 98 lbs.
    LOL@Alicenwonderland
    Are you a "fat ass" ?
    98 lbs ..need more info..height, bone structure TSH level etc
    Opiates, perhaps with some exceptions cause huge weight gain , also reflect on your cholesterol, triglycerides and thyroid gland levels. Benzos also cause facial swelling etc..
    Need to read my good friend

Best
    Gman

Alicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of lightAlicenwonderland is a glorious beacon of light

She's 5" tall. Sounds tiny to me. I'm not a fatass (well maybe I am based on her definition).
    Like Gman, Lizzie Lou liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Alicenwonderland View Post
    She's 5" tall. Sounds tiny to me. I'm not a fatass (well maybe I am based on her definition).
    I think I got confused between posts. Certainly 5 foot tall and 98lbs is slim, I just remember after a major surgery...I was scripted Opies for about 3 months, bloated out and did not have a good crap till I was off them

Gman
    Like Alicenwonderland liked this post

A yes the binding power of opiates.

Lizzie Lou is offline Eminent Member
    Lizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud of

@Gman The trick to pooping while on opiates is to not take your morning dose until after you've had a.cup of coffee (or a smoke) or anything to get the "ball" rolling.
    That is my unsavory public announcement of the day.

cherryx is offline Honorable Member
    cherryx is a jewel in the roughcherryx is a jewel in the roughcherryx is a jewel in the roughcherryx is a jewel in the roughcherryx is a jewel in the roughcherryx is a jewel in the roughcherryx is a jewel in the roughcherryx is a jewel in the roughcherryx is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by LizLush View Post
    @Gman The trick to pooping while on opiates is to not take your morning dose until after you've had a.cup of coffee (or a smoke) or anything to get the "ball" rolling.
    That is my unsavory public announcement of the day.
    LOL exactly! no dosing until after you go in the morning.
    Like Lizzie Lou liked this post

Easythunder is offline Honorable Member
    Easythunder has a spectacular aura aboutEasythunder has a spectacular aura aboutEasythunder has a spectacular aura aboutEasythunder has a spectacular aura aboutEasythunder has a spectacular aura aboutEasythunder has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMatters View Post
    @Clover88, your BMI says you are just above underweight. BMI's are not always the best indicator.

Our metabolism lowers naturally with age. Hormones play a part too. I know and believe in the calories in, calories out fact, but what folks sometimes forget to factor in is that how are bodies burn calories changes with age, hormones, etc ...

I don't think it's the ex-codeine addiction (and huge congrats on kicking them).

Best I can suggest is to tone the areas you don't like. Probably the reason you were gaining weight when you first started exercising is that muscle weighs more than fat. Or at least that is what I have read and heard many times.

Sincerely,

SM
    At the same time as the metabolism changes with age so do the body's organs. Once a person reaches age 60 all body organs begin to function at less than 100%.

Lizzie Lou is offline Eminent Member
    Lizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud ofLizzie Lou has much to be proud of

The BMI calculator says I am overweight. I am not. But 98 pounds sounds dangerously thin to me, even at 5 feet tall.
    Btw, I am the same size as Marilyn Monroe and no one thought she was fat. But according to the bmi, I am. I dont really give much thought to what that says about me. All that matters is that you're healthy and happy in your skin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast