NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 467 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Phenibut, don't knock it! It's amazing for Anxiety/insomnia

motherfooker is offline Senior Member
    motherfooker has a spectacular aura aboutmotherfooker has a spectacular aura aboutmotherfooker has a spectacular aura aboutmotherfooker has a spectacular aura aboutmotherfooker has a spectacular aura about

I absolutely love this sleep med. But here are some pros and cons with this med....

Pros:
    It doesn't work with regular use.

Cons:
    It doesn't work with regular use.

In a way, its a miracle med. Its hard to abuse if its not working with reg use. And it posses Nootropic effects. I think everyone should have this supplement/med tucked away. Its given me the best sleep I ever got from a med.

Win/Win

Gullible is offline Eminent Member
    Gullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant futureGullible has a brilliant future

It can be very addictive. Lots of people get caught in the cycle of using more and more. If you keep it on the shelf and just take it now and then its fine. I use it that way myself.
    Helpful curly Rated helpful
    Read blacklistednews.com for the inside stories.

motherfooker has a spectacular aura aboutmotherfooker has a spectacular aura aboutmotherfooker has a spectacular aura aboutmotherfooker has a spectacular aura aboutmotherfooker has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by COSGringo View Post
    Be careful with this stuff folks. I could be wrong but I believe it has similar properties to Baclofen. It works on the Gaba B receptor. That's similar to Baclofen. I use that med but for very legit and prescribed reasons.

If it's at all like Baclofen you can get very ill on w/d. I have read some bad stories about it.

I have heard it helps folks but you have to be very sparing with it.
    Actually its not too clear the pharmacology behind the med. But I can tell you, its a miracle med/supplement. Had the best sleep on it and doesn't make me feel like a zombie or give me hallucinations like other sleep meds have. It improves mental functions such as cognition, memory, intelligence, motivation, attention, and concentration.

Where else other benzos have been linked to memory loss and loss of mental functions after a long period of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Gullible View Post
    It can be very addictive. Lots of people get caught in the cycle of using more and more. If you keep it on the shelf and just take it now and then its fine. I use it that way myself.
    It takes a couple of hours to kick in and It doesn't work as effective the next day. Third day, forget about it. Which is why I must conclude those People who some way or another got addicted to this med, already have a tendency to abuse meds. IMO.
    Last edited by motherfooker; 08-11-2012 at 07:27 PM.

COSGringo is offline Exalted Member
    COSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant future

Actually it is a lot like Baclofen in how it works on the Gaba B-
    " phenibut binds the GABAB metabotropic receptor, the same site responsible for the sedative effects of baclofen (the para-chloro derivative of phenibut)"

As you mentioned it should not be taken for than a day or 2 in a row and not often. This is how people run into problems.

I've seen it time and time again on forums.

I think it can be useful but it's still not very tested.

chuckers is offline Senior Member
    chuckers will become famous soon enoughchuckers will become famous soon enoughchuckers will become famous soon enoughchuckers will become famous soon enough

@momentum @motherfooker

I just ordered some phenibut and 5-htp (for its supposed synergistic effects). Since it seems to bind to GABA receptors, will it interfere with medications like ambien making them less likely to induce sleep as well as it normally does? Have any of you tried it with both ritalin and xanax? I see that some of you take the phenibut and xanax together. Any other advice from those who have taken this drug multiple times? Thanks

Drea is offline Senior Member
    Drea will become famous soon enough

I have taken 5htp many times. It was very helpful to me during and after opiate withdrawal. It helped subdue the intense cravings. I have used it in combo with phentermine for diet purposes, but I'm not sure what phenibut is? Sounds funny though! Lol
    Like chuckers liked this post

metroid is offline Member

The problem with phenibut is that those same nootropic effects that keep it from dumbing you down like benzos might, can also make the withdrawal absolutely unbearable... of course, a lot of people get away with taking it heavily and not experiencing anything that bad, but the possibility of protracted withdrawal is there. anyone interested in trying phenibut, or using currently, should give this thread a read: mindandmuscle.net/forum/42324-another-phenibut-casualty]Another Phenibut casualty
    Last edited by kmontayne; 08-17-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Helpful motherfooker, chuckers Rated helpful
    Like mojomonster liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by chuckers View Post
    @momentum @motherfooker

I just ordered some phenibut and 5-htp (for its supposed synergistic effects). Since it seems to bind to GABA receptors, will it interfere with medications like ambien making them less likely to induce sleep as well as it normally does? Have any of you tried it with both ritalin and xanax? I see that some of you take the phenibut and xanax together. Any other advice from those who have taken this drug multiple times? Thanks
    Uppers and Downers are a dangerous high addictive combination. Its tempting but don't do it. Unless your doc O.K.'s it. Phenibut is a downer with not that much side effects of other downers.
    Last edited by motherfooker; 08-18-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    Helpful Gullible Rated helpful
    Like chuckers liked this post

Dave0 is offline Member

I really cant understand why this compound is so popular or addictive..
    If i take phenibut it only make me frickin dizzy and it doesnt have any effect on my social anxiety disorder.. (I take phenibut powder 99,6% pure)
    In fact i find 2 beers more effective than 3 grams of this phenibut.. and as i read on several opinions it isnt any safer and maybe even more dangerous than alcohol..

so from my experience and opninion; phenibut is pretty worthless to me.
    Last edited by Dave0; 11-04-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    Like mojomonster liked this post

coachmcguirk is offline Senior Member
    coachmcguirk has a spectacular aura aboutcoachmcguirk has a spectacular aura aboutcoachmcguirk has a spectacular aura aboutcoachmcguirk has a spectacular aura aboutcoachmcguirk has a spectacular aura aboutcoachmcguirk has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Dave0 View Post
    I really cant understand why this compound is so popular or addictive..
    If i take phenibut it only make me frickin dizzy and it doesnt have any effect on my social anxiety disorder.. (I take phenibut powder 99,6% pure)
    In fact i find 2 beers more effective than 3 grams of this phenibut.. and as i read on several opinions it isnt any safer and maybe even more dangerous than alcohol..

so from my experience and opninion; phenibut is pretty worthless to me.
    It's different for different folks. I need to take a dose that makes me pass out before I get any pleasant effects, but a friend of mine can take like 1g of the same stuff and feel awesome. Pretty jealous of that :/ Also note that there can be very different potencies between different phenibut products, due to different isomers combined in varying ratios.

Several mentions in this thread about combining phenibut with benzos or sleeping pills. Be very careful of this...words like "nootropic" don't change the fact that it's a GABAb agonist that's been shown to induce respiratory depression in animal models. There are some reports on the net of taking up to like 9-10g safely (with horrendous side effects), but polydrug combos of CNS depressants is one of the easiest and best ways to never wake up again....

richrz is offline Senior Member
    richrz will become famous soon enoughrichrz will become famous soon enoughrichrz will become famous soon enough

I refuse to take anything that sounds like, "Funny butt", sorry.
    Like coachmcguirk, Cash, File Error 500 liked this post
    Never take Ambien and a laxative at the same time. -richrz

auto408 is offline Member

phenibut was one of my favorite drugs for a while, used it daily for months. Unfortunately though, as it seems with all anxiolytics, even with ever increasing dosages the body seems to find a way around the effects we desire from them. On the the plus side phenibut seems to be quite safe even when abused.
    i disagree that it possesses nootropic qualities and if anything just reduces nagging anxieties to a point where you can think fairly effectively
    one of the things I enjoyed most about it is that at least in my case it would enhance the effects of alcohol without making much of an effect on how much i could drink... a benzo in that situation and i would have been rewarded with a giant blackout and tenfold increase in stupidity while i was still able to stay on my feet.
    I doubt many would find it very psychologically addictive, but its physically addictive nature is a bitch.
    Trying to get off it cold turkey caused tremors and brought on one of the most negative states of mind i have ever experienced to the point where i could not do it.

in the end i thought that as it works on gaba b receptors, taking a chemical that acts on gaba a would keep the negative effects at bay long enough for the phenibut to get out of my system and i would be able to carry on with my week not huddled over shaking. luckily it worked and the only withdrawal symptom i noticed was an increase in anxiety for a few days where i didnt feel particularly sociable

COSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant future

You have to wean off things like that. Pretty much the only way. I've read countless horror stories on that stuff if you take it more than 2-3 times per week. Even then you need to take a week off.

I am on a very high dose of a gaba b agonist (prescribed) and if I stopped taking it I'd be in the E.R. in about a day. Seizures, the whole deal.

Anything that affects GABA receptors can have serious effects and w/d issues. Phenibut really is a drug and not a nootropic. I think it will end regulated at some point. I would try it but since I am on a gaba b agonist that's playing with fire.

auto408 is offline Member

I attempted to taper off phenibut but it while it kept physical symptoms at bay i was in a constant horrible state of mind.

I was curious about baclofen at the time as its so similar to phenibut but doesnt seem to have anywhere near the degree of tolerance and is considerably more potent. From what i have read it does not have the same effect on anxiety and can negatively affect your coordination?

I dont understand either why it is grouped in with nootropics either. From how long its been around though and how little attention its drawn im skeptical about it becoming regulated

Baclofen, hmmm well that's what I take albeit a huge dose. 240mg daily.

I will say it helps with anxiety. Balance it did at some different dosages. I had to titrate up to this dose slowly.

It can cause somnolence and even insomnia at times. It has some odd effects.

I think it comes down to the individual and the dose. A beginning dose might be 10 mg/day. I would not move up more than 20mg per week. Usually you break that into 2 or 3 doses through the day.

I take it for a very different reason, alkie abuse. The fact it help tame my anxiety is a bonus. Part of the reason I drank I am sure.

There were times I felt kind of high from it. I would never say to take it for that reason. Those times were few and far between and still high doses.

It's cheap and low on the schedule list.

Oh and back to balance issues, that stops if you stay at a dose and acclimate. I would not take it on and off. I am not sure it's that type of med.
    Helpful File Error 500, Wish Rated helpful

Lord is offline Distinguished Member
    Lord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to behold

I just wanted to tell my ongoing story about this phenibut. I first ordered the phenibut primaforce bulk powder and as I was going on a holiday to the US I sent it there as it's not as easy and cheap to get it here in my part of europe. I tried it one night and started with one scoop but as nothing happened I took 3-4 more scoops. I think each scoop contains 300mg so I guess I ingested 900-1200. I could feel a slight numbing feeling in my head but not more than that so I just thought it was bogus. Then a few hours later the sensation really started to kick in and I must say the feeling was nice and calming but different from benzos for sure. My insomnia was gone and I slept like a child. Only negative thing was the slight hangover the other day. Not too bad but just uncomfortable. I've read about people taking a whole bunch of phenibut and mixing it with alprazolam and that guys hangover was insane. He couldn't stand or speak or anything so once again TAKE IT EASY. A good substitute to benzos if you keep it to 2-3 times a week. I sure can understand people getting hooked on this and I just say be careful. I sure am. After that test I didn't get to try it again and I left the jar with the powder in the US as I didn't feel like bringing it on the plane home. Well now I'm home and just ordered and recieved 90 caps of 500mg. I settled for caps this time as the taste of the powder was not tasty at all. Salty as hell and the taste just wasn't leaving. Will keep you updated about the caps and how they work.
    Helpful Cash Rated helpful
    Lord.0.0.2 - in Beta stage since '75

mandigail1980 is offline Member
    I learn something new everyday thanks for all the information!:

junebug888 is offline Member

I can not believe this is still sold over-the-counter. It is a drug developed in Russia. The tolerance issues are huge. All the studies are in Russian. I have never seen any med that causes tolerance to develop so fast. I took it years ago, naive, thinking it was a "supplement" that could help social anxiety. I did start to take to much and had to have the help of my psychiatrist to get me off of this. It was pretty brutal as well as the depression that followed....IMHO this should be taken in emergency situations only, once a week maximum!

J

File Error 500 is offline Eminent Member
    File Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant future

I have had many people recommend Phenibut and a compound called Somatomax (which contains aspartame and a mix of supplements including Phenibut and 5-HTP) only to tell me later that they regret ever taking it. But, before they told me that I purchased Phenibut, the SNS Phenibut XT from Amazon. I was DUMB, DUMB, DUMB.

@COSGringo is correct it is chemically similar to Bacolfen. Which I had a prescription for, it was prescribed for muscle spasms that caused headaches. I took it for several months and the side effects never went away (headaches, puffy eyes, sluggishness, irritability, cognitive impairment) and tapered myself of Baclofen.

I tried Phenibut three separate times, apparently it can take up to three hours to induce sleep. The first time I tried it, I felt nothing. The second two times whether it worked or not I cannot say, because after three hours I may have just naturally fell asleep. I can say it produced a mild hangover similar to, but not as severe as Baclofen. I will never take it again, because I don't like messing with GABA receptors.

My Husband who has sleep issues asked me what that bottle of Phenibut was on my dresser. He is a weight lifter and is well-informed about supplements. Phenibut is popular with some body builders because it reportedly has HGH (human growth hormone) properties.

He has been given prescriptions for Xanax and Valium which I warned him to take sparingly. Luckily, he hated Xanax. He prefers Valium and honored my advice to take it sparingly. But, he was intrigued by the Phenibut. So I allowed him to try it, but gave him a stern warning.

He swears that Phenibut works extremely well, he takes it 2-3 times a month. IMO it is a placebo effect. But, the next day I can see a change in his personality, he will be quick to lose his temper and yet, will be sluggish. I hate when he takes this stuff.

I personally think this stuff is crap. And I agree with @richrz. Especially since "supplements" are not regulated in the US.

What interests me is what is the effect between taking drugs that effect GABA(A) receptors and GABA(B) receptors at the same time.
    Last edited by File Error 500; 11-23-2012 at 11:56 AM.
    Helpful Cash Rated helpful
    Like COSGringo liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by TenaciousE View Post
    What interests me is what is the effect between taking drugs that effect GABA(A) receptors and GABA(B) receptors at the same time.
    So I can weigh in on that one. I still take benzos sparingly for my insomnia.
    I really don't get any thrill at all from GABA A agonists now that I am on high dose baclofen. I have taken them during the day a few times and nothing but sleepy.

Some say that's B.S. but I think because I am at such a high dosage daily that it overrides the other med's pleasurable effects.
    I could take some kind of benzo for a week or more every night and have zero issues not using it for the next 4 or so. It just puts me to sleep.

I don't have the SE's from baclofen anymore. I did going up. Some never do some get them horrible. My doc was lame about warning me about those. I was in the ER once not realizing that I was having an extreme anxiety attack with tremors, gut wrenching the whole deal. That was from the baclofen. That was about 140 mg. I am at 220 and will stay here for a long time I believe.
    Helpful File Error 500 Rated helpful

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast