Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: meds for easily irritated, aggrivated, angry condition

1. Default meds for easily irritated, aggrivated, angry condition

I am finding myself easily aggrivated and just generally impatient with the annoyances in daily living and would appreciate any suggestions for a medication that would help Thank you. Anger management medication?

SarcasmToThe3rd will become famous soon enoughSarcasmToThe3rd will become famous soon enough

Benzo's are usually prescribed for this sort of feeling . Tho, opiate-derived meds can alter moods and make you feel like you're immune to negativity. Granted the withdrawal is NOT worth it in the long run rofl. Take my word for it as I am going through this now. But after years of "escaping" from how I really felt within, I can agree that a vic,perc,oxy,roxi,tram,soma,valium,and xanax were my best friends. Tho like I said before, my best friends had screwed me over in the long run. The best thing for how you feel ( and I am sure you don't want to hear it, but it's true...) Is to stay off of the shit ,because it will seriously just worsen your condition. Turned me into Dr.Jeckyl/Ms.Hyde... and the only thing I could say for you, is to go through a mind altering experience one time, via use of psychedelics,with a GUIDE..otherwise you'll end up vomiting and losing your mind ( maybe?) idk, everyone is different. Journeying worked for me in the past. ( or you can just go it without anything, and seek a different means to destroy your negative energy..... The WILL ( read some Crowley :P )is the strongest "drug" on the effing planet, really!I quit hard drugs, quit smoking cigs, all in one day. I woke the eff up. Naturally years later, chose to go back to sleep.......hence w/d symptoms now. All relative to anger/depression... like I said, opiates were my friend. ......WERE.

In arguement sake, YES I'm a hypocrite ...aren't we all at times? Just tossing out some honest shit, putting myself out there .Whatever you take it from it is up to you! Good luck !

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 2 minutes after the last post:*

Hmmm I just re-read what you typed. If I were you, I'd go to a Doctor and talk about it. You'd probably end up with Valium or Xanax. But for example, if you did take a vicodin or some sort of 'pain' pill. You'd notice you will give a shit less about annoyances etc This is thee worst advice tho. Best thing , is to punch t in the face on your own, and go about your day without any 'escape' plan,pill-plan BS. Much love!
    Last edited by SarcasmToThe3rd; 07-05-2011 at 09:56 AM.

bunny5 is on a distinguished road

I have been looking for this magical medication for years, so if anyone knows please share. On a serious note, I know that when I am on my antidepressant medication (Zoloft) things generally are easier to deal with and my anger is less prevalent. Are you currently taking any medication?
    Last edited by bunny5; 07-05-2011 at 10:42 AM.

4. Well, I am prescribed Prozac 40mg a day and I take a prescription blood pressure med too. The Prozac I have taken about 12 years with the Dr. upping it to 40 mg about a year ago when I asked him if it was loosing it's effectiveness. I came across this website and after much reading decided to self treat myself for my arthritis pains and the easily angered condition so I got some 10 mg valium , 1 mg xanor, and DF 118 40mg dihydrocodeine. Testing each individually I foung the Xanor made me too sleepy, the DHC worked great for the arthritis and the Valium 10 mg every other day helped with the anger management. So I feel i am on the right track so far, but am curious how others have dealt with similar issues and wanted to share my experiences so that they might help others dealing with similar issues. I appreciate eveyone's responses. I don't really know one benzo from another so please let me know if there is something better out there.

ishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of light

Please take this for what it's worth (zilch), but, I found one of the side affects, FOR ME, with prozac was explosive anger, irritation and aggravation. There were other side affects, but that was the one that made me quit taking it...

6. ishmael...thanks. That has been in the back of my mind. bunny5 mentioned that Zoloft seemed to help overcome these symptoms so I am beginning to think that a trip to my Dr. might be a wise thing to do, but I kind of enjoy? self-medicating. i am semiretired so it gives me something to do. I know..I'm weird.

ishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of lightishmael is a glorious beacon of light

Har! I hear ya! I'm fully retired, and, (no) thanks to my doctors, self-medication is both a necessity and (now a bit of) a hobby for me.
    Like Keith K Stone, anonsaku liked this post

miffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by scorpigoh View Post
    I am finding myself easily aggrivated and just generally impatient with the annoyances in daily living and would appreciate any suggestions for a medication that would help Thank you. Anger management medication?
    Hi, @scorpigoh

I'm not absolutely clear by what you mean with regard to finding yourself "easily aggravated and generally impatient with annoyances in daily life". Are you able to describe how this manifests? For example, do you get angry with other people, or yourself, or inanimate objects or a combination of these things?

Also, is this issue something that other people have pointed out, or is it something that you, yourself, personally believe? Finally, is this issue causing real problems in your life - work/family/relationships?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions it's just there are a variety of ways of approaching anger issues. In fact, you directly referred to one of the main ways of dealing with this problem : Anger Management.

@SarcasmToThe3rd has said far more eloquently than I could on this how one could approach this issue. As far as I know, there is no single, guaranteed panacea for this type of problem in the form of medication. Some anti-depressants that have a sedative quality (Mirtazapine) for example, might help both for anger and for depression, should it be the case that depression is causing the anger problem. Unfortunately, benzodiazepines are usually contra-indicated for those prone to anger or aggravation. This is because benzodiazepines can cause paradoxical reactions - such as anger, or make pre-existing anger issues worse.

There could be an underlying reason for anger issues that certain types of therapy could resolve. Alternatively, there may be things going on in your life that are making you feel unhappy or out of control and this is manifesting as anger and irritation.

Also, certain psychiatric disorders can cause anger problems, mainly the manic phase of Bi-Polar disorder or certain personality disorders, such as Border-Line Personality Disorder and Histrionic Personality disorder.

Having said all of this, Western culture has a very contrary relationship with anger and how individuals are supposed to deal with it. We are programmed from a very young age that anger is "wrong" and that it is socially unacceptable to display anger. Like it or not, anger is a natural reaction to certain triggers or circumstances in a person's life. It's just most people have a very awkward relationship with how they deal with their own anger. There are certain schools of thought that believe anxiety disorders, such as Generalised Anxiety Disorder are manifestations of anger turned inward, with an accompanying fear of displaying angry emotions, or "losing control".

Most people are programmed to keep anger "down", rather than let it surface. After all, to be on the receiving end of an angry person can be a frightening experience. There are times in a person's life where anger is appropriate, though. I'm not talking about about physical aggression, which, as most people would agree, is completely inappropriate. We can all probably recall times in our lives when we have been treated badly, or abused. For times like this it is perfectly ok to say "I feel really angry with you now". My brother would never harm a fly, but when he gets angry he has a habit of throwing stuff - not at people I might add!

The problem you describe seems to point to the freqeuncy as much as the type of negative emotions you describe. Also you say "I am finding myself easily aggravated....", which suggests that this issue may not have always been present. This again perhaps points to circumstantial, personal or environmental reasons.

I would definitely advise talking to a health care professional, such as your doctor, about this. If it has prompted you to take to a forum to express your concerns then that suggests that it is a problem with enough substance to see someone about it. With all due respect, self-medicating by searching for meds online may not be the right solution. Any doctor would be sympathetic to your concerns and would be in a much better position to objectively decide a course of action that could help for the long-term, rather than the short-term "fix" of a pill.

Good luck!

.....The most magical, Saggy old cloth cat in the whole wide world.

bunny5 is on a distinguished road

I will add that people usually aggravated me to the point of anger beyond control before zoloft. I was on prozac prior to zoloft (had to switch because of pregnancy), and found zoloft worked better overall. Twice I thought zoloft was losing its effectiveness and was switched to lexapro which was a major mistake. I know antidepressants affect everyone in a different manner, but for me they really helped with my anger. Thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone!
    Like Keith K Stone liked this post

Smoke some good weed. Nothing will get to you! I'm kidding please don't do this. Talk therapy would probably be the best option. Maybe along with a med or two. Someone mentioned mirtazapine. I take it and it seems to keep me even and helps me sleep very well. Peace.
    Last edited by BuckeyeFan; 07-05-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Additional info

11. Hummm...thank you all for the advice. Very most excellent suggestions. I will go see my Dr. and have a talk. I think I have simply turned into a grouchy old man! I was never like this when I was younger but a single bullet med would sure be nice.
    Like Troubadour, Keith K Stone liked this post

Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    I suffered with depression,anxiety,panic attacks & severe mood swings my whole life.5yrs ago my doctor switched me from prozac to paxil & he added Abilify, which is an anti-psychotic.I was afraid to take it because there are so many bad side effects listed on it.It has changed my life & I haven't had any side effects.I no longer get in bad moods or depressed.It's been 5yrs. & I have to say Abilify has helped me more than any of the the meds. I was previously on.I don't like the idea that I need a pill to get by but the Abilify is a wonder drug for me.
    Helpful Keith K Stone, northstar77 Rated helpful

13. @binky1957 the Abilify is something that I have not heard of. Can you get it on line? Paxil is what a friend of mine takes and he likes it. I'll have to look into Abilify. Thanks.
    Helpful northstar77 Rated helpful
    Like Binky liked this post

SpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond repute
    SpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by miffytherabbit View Post
    Having said all of this, Western culture has a very contrary relationship with anger and how individuals are supposed to deal with it. We are programmed from a very young age that anger is "wrong" and that it is socially unacceptable to display anger. Like it or not, anger is a natural reaction to certain triggers or circumstances in a person's life. It's just most people have a very awkward relationship with how they deal with their own anger. There are certain schools of thought that believe anxiety disorders, such as Generalised Anxiety Disorder are manifestations of anger turned inward, with an accompanying fear of displaying angry emotions, or "losing control".

Most people are programmed to keep anger "down", rather than let it surface. After all, to be on the receiving end of an angry person can be a frightening experience. There are times in a person's life where anger is appropriate, though. I'm not talking about about physical aggression, which, as most people would agree, is completely inappropriate. We can all probably recall times in our lives when we have been treated badly, or abused. For times like this it is perfectly ok to say "I feel really angry with you now".
    Well said Miffy, and on only your 9th post. Can't wait to read the others. I completely agree that sometimes anger and irritation is justified and if one feels that way, it can be ok. Our emotions are our emotions.

Now of course, your post went into more depth as to other options, I just wanted to highlight the statement in your post that sometimes irritation and anger is the CORRECT reaction to a situation.

To the original poster, I would say a better anti-depressant or different dose is your answer. And that should be managed through your doctor. I went form 40 (?) mgs of prozac a day to 60 mgs of Cymbalta w/out have to clear out my system or anything like that. But both the prozac and the cymbalta worked to keep me rational. My anger was over the top. I wanted to push people down in the street I didn't even know.

Now benzos, I don't know. Everyone is different but xanax is dangerous unless under the treatment of doc you trust as stopping suddenly can cause seizures. Valium, as I believe Miffy stated, can make one more irate by lowering inhibitions.

It's all a tough call. Only you know if you have reason to be angry and irritated at some serious aspect of your life. Meaning you have a right to be angry and need to make some changes. OR, is it just a chemical imbalance in your brain.

If you need to make changes, do. But if it's a chemical imbalance in your brain, I tend to lean more towards ADs than benzos for anger issues. I have always viewed benzos are more of a cover up. Please now that I understand how some members need benzos to address anxiety issues. I just don't think it's the best answer for anger and irritation - although I could easily be wrong.
    Last edited by SpaceMatters; 07-05-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: clarification
    Helpful northstar77, scorpigoh Rated helpful
    Like Ocean View liked this post
    “We are what we imagine ourselves to be. ” ― Kurt Vonnegut

Jazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond reputeJazie has a reputation beyond repute

I am not making light of this at all, but I have a punching bag that travels (when I am in a place for awhile) with me and I just womp the crap out of it to release all those feelings. I don't know if you always feel this way, but exercise that releases those feelings always help me. I am an olympic tire kicker as well.

I need outlets and I have no idea what med helps here. I however NEVER take it out on a person. I also don't do this daily. Just when life gets to overwhelming for me.

Rollerblading also helps me just to think.
    Helpful northstar77, Keith K Stone Rated helpful
    “Nobody can hurt me without my permission" - Gandhi

northstar77 is offline Banned Reason: Multiple accounts and sending dubious PMs. Don't trust anything you read from this guy.
    northstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to behold

@Jazie I think those are both great ideas to help relive stress. I know that exercise really helps me with my anxiety and tension. I would advise seeing a doctor and getting on an anit-depressant as well.
    Helpful Keith K Stone Rated helpful

MNLady is just really niceMNLady is just really niceMNLady is just really niceMNLady is just really niceMNLady is just really niceMNLady is just really niceMNLady is just really niceMNLady is just really niceMNLady is just really niceMNLady is just really nice

Hummm...thank you all for the advice. Very most excellent suggestions. I will go see my Dr. and have a talk. I think I have simply turned into a grouchy old man! I was never like this when I was younger but a single bullet med would sure be nice.
    Yeah, a single bullet would be nice for sure. But since everyone's chemistry is different a single cure-all bullet for any disorder/condition just isn't possible.

I took Prozac, Zoloft, and Paxil (SSRI's) at different times in my life a long time ago and took Effexor and Cymbalta (SNRI's) for a while 5-6 years ago. I did not like the SNRI's at all. Of the three SSRI's, Paxil worked the best for me and Prozac the worst. Prozac made me numb, like a robot, and a little more cranky than I was without it. I have heard about the crankiness you described more than a few times in connection with Prozac.

You have been on Prozac for 12 years? That's a long time. The first thing I would do is go to the doctor and see if you still meet the criteria for depression. Demand that baseline testing lke they give you when you go in to see if you should be diagnosed with clinical depression. You might be taking medication you no longer need. If you do still need medication, perhaps you need a switch to a different SSRI or the newer SNRI's.

Yes, a Valium is probably also going to make you feel better for a few hours too. But I don't think of it as a good solution without it being RX'd by your doctor. You don't need any sermons about the potential evils of self-medication. I think a lot of us have done that at some point in our struggles (myself included) and I think we all know it is not a long-term solution.

You are semi-retired? Are you getting out of the house enough and keeping busy? If your level of physical activity has dropped off that can cause moodiness/grouchiness too since there are not as many feel-good endorphins being released as there were when you were working full-time. My mother-in-law is on Medicare and her one of her fitness memberships (YWCA or Curves) is being paid for completely. She is almost 78 years old and works out 5 days a week. It not only gives her the physical benefits, but she has made several workout friends and she has never been healthier.

Best of all to you in your search for a happier, less-irritating life.
    Helpful scorpigoh, chopstix Rated helpful

18. Thank you all for taking the time to give me your feedback and for sharing your experiences. I feel better already Good way to start the day!

_jenny_ is offline Banned Reason: Caused too many arguments and made too many enemies
    _jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice

IME, when this happens to me, it's like the old saying that 99% of computer problems can be solved with a reboot. i find if i can reboot my brian by distracting it from my "annoyances in daily living" it helps me tremendously.

hobbies, exercise, "having fun" with my BF, reading a good book, or just any pleasant distraction you find enjoyable.

of course you can also do it pharmaceuticly. benzos seem work well particularly well for this purpose, at least for me. keep it on a PRN basis though and as a last resort ... you DO NOT want to build tolerance to that stuff!

best wishes!!!
    Helpful Keith K Stone Rated helpful

scorpigo,

benzos such as alprazolam, clonazepam, diazepam, or lorazepam will help with this. However, unless you want to develop a physical dependency, you cannot take them everyday.

Tolerance to these drugs will also build up fairly rapidly. In my experience, two to three times per week is about the most frequently that I can take benzos of any kind without experiencing tolerance. Unfortunately, there is no magic pill that will work this out for you.

I recommend, if you haven't, that you talk to your Dr. I also recommend meditation or similar to help relax.

And one last thing: low doses of alcohol may help you to feel better, but I don't recommend this for two reasons. First, alcohol and benzos seem to be cross tolerant. Second, if you mix the two, it is possible for it to result in respiratory failure, especially at higher doses.
    Helpful scorpigoh Rated helpful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast