NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 887 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: klonopin and hydrocodone

1. Default klonopin and hydrocodone

I have a standing prescription for 0.5mg klonopin to be taken 2x daily to treat general anxiety. Been doing this for 3 years daily.

I just dislocated my shoulder and the ER gave me hydrocodone 10/325 norco for the pain. I didn'ttell them about the kpin honestly because i forgot to. The pain is pretty rough but what kind of risks am i taking mixing my benzo with norco ?

Id rather be in pain than dead :-P

Thanks
    Like Kris liked this post

Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    @pilotlite
    I am so sorry to hear about your dislocated shoulder I know it must really hurt.I take the Norco 10/325 for back pain & I've been on them for years.I also took Klonopin at one time although I now take Xanax.I've never had any problems with taking the Norco along with a benzo.It will intensify the effects.I always get a lot more tired when I take both at the same time.But other than that you shouldn't have any problems with taking both at the same time.Hope this helps.Feel better soon.
    “These wounds, they will not heal” Linkin Park

Since you've been taking the Kpin so long, you can most likely handle it. If you don't have an opiate tolerance might wanna try half a norco first. I know constantly taking Kpin its gonna add some drowsiness and respiratory depression. Even if you don't take it at the same time.

We can't tell you for sure, because we don't know if you've taken Norco before. Or other opiates. For an opiate naive person 10mg Hydrocodone can be a pretty sedating experience.

I've mixed them myself many times at higher doses, but it was after I was tolerant of both.
    Helpful Binky, pilotlite, Hugo, chopstix Rated helpful

4. Guys thanks so much. I'm not really sure what my opiate tolerance would be. I'm a bigger guy, 6'7'' 240lbs so it usually takes more than normal of something to do it's job.

I've taken vicodin before, but before the benzo therapy. @binky1957 thanks for the suggestion to cut one in half. I'll do that first and have my wife keep and eye on me!

Good plan not to take it alone if you don't absolutely know how you will react.
    And good plan to take half, can always take more later. I'd equate taking 10mg hydrocodone and .5mg of clonazepam, in terms of sedation, to taking 20-25mg hydrocodone alone.
    Last edited by akl63; 10-11-2011 at 10:01 PM.
    Like Alternate liked this post

norco and kpin completely safe together yes in some non opiod tolerant people it may cause extra sleepieness but there are also a vast majority of opiod tolerant and non opiod tolerant people that get a kind of rush from the norco instead of sleepieness.it just depends on your adrenal system,metabolisim and believe it or not sometimes the foods you eat or things you drink.Be safe and try small at first but you should be fine.No major drug interactions.Hope your shoulder feels better
    Helpful Keith K Stone, debbrad, slick76 Rated helpful

7. I'm happy to report my shoulder is feeling better and there wasn't really a problem taking the meds together. I just felt a little more tired than usual. I did make a mistake and take some on a somewhat empty stomach though and I did NOT feel good for about 30 minutes until I had a bowl of cereal.

Here's to hoping this thing heals up quick!
    Like Binky, ukbob liked this post

thats a small enough dose of each. you should be able to handle it. klonopin doesn't take away from hydro like other benzos can in my opinion

9. @CPain7 Just curious what you mean by "take away from hydro." Like, are you saying some benzo's lessen the effect of how well the hydro works on pain? Or just the tired/loopy feelings it can give you.

Thanks.

yea I think xanax can kind of overpower the hydro. not too much the pain relief but that trademark good feeling you get from hydrocodone. small amount of kpins or valium dont mess with it too much

miffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant futuremiffytherabbit has a brilliant future

When my migraines strikes and I have to turn to opiates, I usually take the opiates first. Then, I'll give them long enough to get into my system before taking any benzodiazepines.

I take high high dose Dihydrocodeine, which is, I guess, the UK equivalent of Hydro, and I also take Diazepam, Lorazepam and sometime if I have anxiety related insomnia I'll take a Mogadon (Nitrazepam).

When I take both Benzos and Opiates together I do start getting the nods. Apparently this is supposed to pleasant, and is part of what of an Opiate addict is searching for as part of an opiate high. For myself, I don't like the sensation at all, and I think with a lot of drugs that can interfere with respiratory depression (opiates and benzos included) there is pattern towards staggering doses of these kinds of drugs these days.

Best wishes.

Miffyrabbit ^_^
    .....The most magical, Saggy old cloth cat in the whole wide world.

I had an injury years ago which amounted to a sprained ankle ~ but a very bad sprained ankle that had me in crutches for 6 weeks with a lot of pain. Friday night. I left the ER with nothing but "you sprained your ankle go see you doctor Monday and if it hurts take an aspirin." *IF* it hurts? Give me a break.

I called my doc Saturday morning through the call service and he called back and phoned in a script for Vicodin to get me through Monday when I could see him. He sent me off to a podiatrist who said "you sprained your ankle and will need crutches for 6 weeks, goodbye." When I asked about pain he gave me the choice of darvocet or codeine #3. Nice guy.

I called my doc after that trip and he prescribed Vicodin ES (that was the drug store script story) and Valium 5 mgs simultaneously. I have a great doctor.

So I don't know about klonopin and hydro but apparently no problem with Valium and hydro.

Man that took a long time to heal. Since my 6 weeks on crutches I have a true appreciation for handicapped parking only and ramps instead of stairs.
    Like debbrad liked this post

13. Thanks for all the advice and stories guys. It turned out to not be such a big deal after all. I've never gotten the so-called "buzz" from hydro really, so I wasn't too concerned with killing that. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be falling asleep at the dinner table LOL. I'm not sure my wife would have been to happy with me or my doctor at that point!

dingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to beholddingleberry is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by CPain7 View Post
    thats a small enough dose of each. you should be able to handle it. klonopin doesn't take away from hydro like other benzos can in my opinion
    I know its an old post but I agree with you 100% with this thats why I had them switch me to klonopin. never felt like it took away from hydro / oxy experience but the other benzos deffinately toook away only felt the benzo no strong hydro feeling I got the day before the benzos definately take away I am in your camp.