NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 910 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: which anti-anxiety to chose

Kittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud of

It all depends on what you're looking for - I suffer from panic attacks and Generalized Anxiety Disorder and in the past 4 years have been on the big 4 - Lorazepam, Clonazepam, Diazepam and Alprazolam.

-Alprazolam -Acts quick (w/in 10-20 mins), but doesn't last long (Best for Panic
    Attacks in my Opinion)
    -Lorazepam - Acts rather quick (w/in 30-45 mins) - lasts long, but need 2X as much as
    Alprazolam to do the same job
    -Clonazepam - Takes a while to act (up to an hour) - lasts long, same strength as
    Alprazolam (Best for Generalized Anxiety)
    -Diazepam - Not a personal favorite - takes an hour to take effect, weak (10mg=.5 mg Alprazolam or Clonazepam) - but does last the longest
    -Clona
    Helpful wnbafan, itsme, slick76, Quaalude Rated helpful

Johnk is offline Banned Reason: Shiller for some herbal product

Quote Originally Posted by Griddlecakes View Post

Is that supposed to be a joke? Some people have real anxiety & your ignorance isn't helping anybody.

Sorry if i was not clear but I wasn't making a Joke. Check out their website 1hourbreak. It is a 100% natural spray made from kava and other herbs which helps with anxiety and stress. I have been using xanax before but did don't like the drugged feeling. This is a great alternative to prescription drugs. I do believe that people suffer from such problems but pharmaceutically made drugs are relatively new and the long term side effects are still unknown, which is why I'm a strong supporter of natural alternatives.
    Last edited by Kris; 11-15-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Link deleted
    Helpful beachboi Rated helpful
    Like crucibelle, Hugo liked this post

Reading around it seems like the general consensus is that Kpins are best in the long run? I've been prescribed Valium, Xanax, and Ativan and none really seem to do much besides knock me out. It could be just psychological though, since at times I feel like one works far better than the others. Like before I was prescribed Ativan then switched over to Xanax because I didn't feel the former was helping enough. But now I'm leaning towards the opposite opinion and wish I was still taking Ativan... I dunno, I think I'm gonna have to try Klonopin when I get my insurance back. Ugh, I HATE not having health insurance!
    Helpful Keith K Stone, beachboi Rated helpful

Johnk is offline Banned Reason: Shiller for some herbal product

Quote Originally Posted by Griddlecakes View Post

Is that supposed to be a joke? Some people have real anxiety & your ignorance isn't helping anybody.

Sorry if i was not clear but I wasn't making a Joke. Check out their website 1hourbreak.com. It is a 100% natural spray made from kava and other herbs which helps with anxiety and stress. I have been using xanax before but did don't like the drugged feeling. This is a great alternative to prescription drugs. I do believe that people suffer from such problems but pharmaceutically made drugs are relatively new and the long term side effects are still unknown, which is why I'm a strong supporter of natural alternatives.
    Helpful jholden40, beachboi Rated helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Kittsoan1989 View Post
    -Diazepam - Not a personal favorite - takes an hour to take effect, weak (10mg=.5 mg Alprazolam or Clonazepam) - but does last the longest
    -Clona
    Diazepam is in fact one of the faster-acting benzodiazepines.
    Helpful curly Rated helpful
    Like beachboi liked this post

Kat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura about

@pixievixen

My personal experience with benzos has been kinda of a love hate relationship, I found that Valium works best for me but My Sister uses Ativan and swears by it. It doesnt make her sleepy or stoned feeling or anything! Just levels her out to function as she has a high stress job. Valium helps with my muscle spasms in my back as well as takes the edge off if I have a rough day. I tried Xanax and Kpins both spaced me out especially xanax, Kpins took SO LONG to work I would take more than prescribed and therefore wind up totally out of it. I eventually gave up on all benzos and just tough it out now. I guess it just depends on what you find that works for you!!

I wish you luck and sucess on your quest!

Have a Great Day!!

Kat
    Helpful curly Rated helpful
    Like beachboi liked this post
    Pain.... What a Drag

Coheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud of

Out of all the benzos Xanax definitely works best for my generalized anxiety disorder, the thing is I only take 1.5-2mg daily so my tolerance and dependancy does not get out of control. Benzos like many other meds csn grab you by the balls pretty quickly. Xanax has honestly been a God send for my anxiety but be careful and I don't recommend mixing with other meds especially opiates.
    Like beachboi, debbrad liked this post

@pixievixen

I think everyone's experience is different. My experience has been as follows:

Xanax/Alprazolam - works best for panic attacks and immediate relief. It kicks in extremely fast and has a sharp "edge" to it that will handle acute anxiety conditions. I don't like Xanax for general anxiety because of its short half life and because it seems to affect my short term memory. I really don't notice an effect while it is active in my system but once fully metabolized, it is harder for me to remember things that happened while the Xanax was still active.

Klonopin/Clonazepam - works great for treating general anxiety. It has a very long half-life (about as long as you can get from a benzo other than Valium) and has a softer "edge" that keeps the anxiety down throughout the day (and night). Others have said that Clonazepam will make you sleepy; that is not my experience. When I was on it, I generally took it in the morning to help control anxiety throughout the day. Generally speaking, I was able to function better on Clonazepam than Xanax.

Valium doesn't work for me. I'm not sure why but it seems to have no effect. I can't comment on how it compares.

I hope this is helpful. The other posts provide similar information but I think the more personal experiences you can get, the better feel you will have for the effects of the two drugs.
    Helpful depthoffield Rated helpful
    Like beachboi, Hugo, slick76 liked this post

took generic xanax (alprazolam) for years - worked great for my anxiety/panic disorder - took about a year to taper off though - do not just stop taking these things. max i took was 6mg/day - tapered down about .25 or .125 mg per month - very slow! don't need it anymore
    Like debbrad liked this post

Exclamation psychiatric assessment - where am I now?

Thanks so much to everyone for their advice on the best anti-anxiety meds. I have, this past February, been for assessment with a psychiatrist. I went in with the feeling that I was either dealing with a low end of the bipolar spectrum, cyclothymia, or borderline personality disorder. The doctor concluded that I was NOT bipolar, although I exhibited traits of cyclothymia. His diagnosis was emotionally unstable personality disorder (aka borderline personality). He prescribed a bipolar medication, lamotrigine, starting on a low dose to be increased. By this point I was down to 25 mg sertraline, 900 mg gabapentin 2-3 times a day, with occassional valium as needed. I stopped the sertraline, started the lamotrigine, and carried on with it for 5 days until the side effects became so horrific I was frightened to continue it, so I stopped. I felt the gabapentin had really helped when I started it last summer, so told them I would stick with this and valium as needed.
    The thing is, the past few months i've felt really awful. I had to move house with my two young kids, and everything has been turbulent the past month. I wake up every day feeling agitated and angry, and if I don't take the gabapentin, the difference in mood is shocking. My worry is that I feel more down and helpless every day. This is not a fun state of mind to constantly be in, it's like a rollercoaster of emotions: one day i'm in a generally good, motivated mood, then the next I can be at rock bottom, crying, seeing nothing positive about anything. Any advice would really help, sometimes it feels like doctors just aren't listening to you, you're just another number in their books
    Like MajorCaptSilly liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by pixievixen View Post
    Any advice would really help, sometimes it feels like doctors just aren't listening to you, you're just another number in their books
    I take Lamictal (lamotrigine) 200 mg daily which was added to my regiment of 450 mg Wellbutrin about 4 years ago as a "mood stabilizer." The Wellbutrin was petering out.

My advice? Back to the shrink for a re-evaluation. These antidepressants have a tendency to peter-out or work differently over time and require manipulation.

As for the doctors, make them listen. They work for you. It's not like this one is dealing with narcotics.

Exclamation side note

I also forgot to mention that I tried the klonopin and it doesn't seem to mellow me out much at all, plus I feel like angry mom the next day. The valium works well for me, but the day after i've had it I am exhausted and just want to sleep for hours, not good with 2 young kids in the house. I'm not sure what the solution is. I do know, that as far as brain chemistry goes, I am an acetycholine nature, and am quite highly deficient in GABA. I'm taking supplements and trying to have a better diet to combat this (especially with my IBS). I'm just so tired of feeling anxious, angry & aggressive. I know my true nature is a chilled-out, loving one, and I hate this person who seems to be around more time than not. Again, any advice would be wonderful!
    Like slick76 liked this post

Did you just suddenly jump off the sertraline? You could be experiencing withdrawal from that. Also you might want to try Ativan. It's similar to Valium but shorter acting. 2mg is a good dose.
    "With clarity my scars remind me...ashes simmer just under my skin." Creed

Klonopin is wonderful! I started having PA two years ago after my neck/head injury and was on Xanax as needed but I needed them every 3 hours! Yes, it'd take care of the panic but the rebound anxiety was terrible.

I've tried all the SSRI's - they all turned me into emotionless zombie and I felt stupid, sluggish and dull. Withdrawals are hell and not worth it. I took Wellbutrin XL 150-300 mg for over a year and while it helped with depression it did nothing for anxiety. In fact, I'd get agitated and angry every day while on it so I quit 2 weeks ago.

I take 0.25 - 0.5 mg Klonopin every day and it works like charm. Before I was dg. with ADHD and put on Adderall, I was taking 3-4 grams of kpin/day.
    Helpful MajorCaptSilly Rated helpful

15. Meprobamate / Soma KILLS my anxiety.
    It is much more effective than Diazepam or other drugs for me.

16. I've dealt with the same situation as you all have - a quick tip would be to try beta blockers (something like propanolol) to help combat withdrawal symptoms.

Do some research on the net for propanolol and withdrawals there's some cool stuff.

It also apparently stops people from being racist (not making this up - there's a funky study about propanolol and racism)

Roz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond repute
    Roz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond repute
    @pixievixen
    I also forgot to mention that I tried the klonopin and it doesn't seem to mellow me out much at all, plus I feel like angry mom the next day. The valium works well for me, but the day after i've had it I am exhausted and just want to sleep for hours
    Xanax or Ativan is pretty much all that remains.
    I wouldn't go above .5mg on either one initially.
    All 4 work for me.
    Hope you find something that works for you.

.5 is a pretty low dose for Ativan although you're right @Rowell10mg it's best to start off low and see how you react.
    "With clarity my scars remind me...ashes simmer just under my skin." Creed

Roz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond repute
    Roz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond repute
    .5 is a pretty low dose for Ativan
    Yeah I agree.
    I always took 1mg.

tzabcan is a name known to alltzabcan is a name known to alltzabcan is a name known to alltzabcan is a name known to alltzabcan is a name known to alltzabcan is a name known to alltzabcan is a name known to alltzabcan is a name known to alltzabcan is a name known to alltzabcan is a name known to alltzabcan is a name known to alltzabcan is a name known to all

I take .5mg of ativan on an as needed basis. It calms me down, but not everytime. The problem for me is that if I take any more than .5mg at a time, it will just make me sleepy. It won't control my anxiety and allow me to be active at the same time.

I need my anxiety stopped, and I don't want to take a nap everytime that I need to take an ativan. I think I will be talking to my doc about valium. I have tried that and it doesn't make me tired and calms me down right away.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast