NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 834 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benzos and drug tests

Cool Benzos and drug tests

How long does clonazepam- (and other benzos if you know the detection time) last in your urine. More specifically- what about a one time larger dose of 2-6 mg . I know the answer is somewhere in the range of 3 days to a month- but for a skinny person- do you have an estimate that is within a closer range than many state. I know most places don't test for it and it doesn't show up in some tests, but lets pretend we have one that does. What I really want to know is- can a skinny, somewhat active person, in a hypothetical situation, pass a urine screen for clonazepam in 6-7 days. Thanks PR!!!!

I've passed a drug test that tested for benzos after taking a single 2mg Rivotril 7 days beforehand, without doing anything special to "cheat" the test.

You can find the half life easily on wikipedia, but you have to remember that everyone's body is different and we all metabolize drugs at different rates depending on a huge variety of factors.

So it is possible, but it's not a sure thing. If I were you I'd see if I could find a way to push back the drug test another week or two; that way you would be a lot more certain you wouldn't piss hot. Or see if you can find out what kind of drug test it is (e.g. 5 panel, 10 panel, etc), because not all drug tests test for BZO's like you said.

As it is, you have a good chance of being positive for BZO's.
    Helpful deadhorse Rated helpful
    Like TheMoon liked this post

davidcr is a jewel in the roughdavidcr is a jewel in the roughdavidcr is a jewel in the roughdavidcr is a jewel in the roughdavidcr is a jewel in the roughdavidcr is a jewel in the roughdavidcr is a jewel in the rough

I expect to have a test in the next few nonths. I might switch from klonapin back to ativan for a week or so before, just to have stuff that moves out quicker. I also have an old PRN Rx ativan bottle, but that doesn't really change how I'd do that.

I'll also avoid grapefruit, benadryl, and all those thing that keep that liver enzyme busy.

I'm not offering this as expert advice, just stuff I'm gonna do.
    Last edited by davidcr; 02-08-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Helpful deadhorse Rated helpful
    First thing you learn is you always gotta wait.

4. I am given a drug test few times a year by my psychiatrist, probably so he knows I am telling the truth about what I am/am not taking to avoid any drug interactions. I had taken a one-time dose of 1.5mg Xanax about 6-1/2 days prior to the test, and so far I haven't heard anything from him (he doesn't prescribe it), so I am assuming all went well. There are always variables involved, so you never know, but I would think a one-time dose would be out of your system in a week. I once took a pre-employment drug screen less than 24 hours after taking my last of four 40mg doses of Oxycontin. I didn't expect in a million years to pass it, but I must have because I got the job.

@imnotcrazy

Oxycodone isn't detected in a standard "opiate" drug test. They are intended to detect morphine and other opiates that metabolize into it (codeine, heroin). I know that some semi-synthetic opiates will show a positive on an "opiates" panel (not sure if oxycodone is one of them).

But when they do the confirmatory (GCMS) test, they look for morphine or metabolites. That would trigger a positive for codeine, heroin, or morphine, but not oxycodone (since it doesn't metabolize into morphine).

But some drug tests are designed to detect oxycodone these days. So you never know.
    Helpful TheMoon, imnotcrazy Rated helpful

betsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud of

@dayton
    i thinkimo any drug screen sent out ie... a urinalysis to an outside souce would be able to test for oxy. i am not an expert howevr you might direct your question to @ deadheadrn as she is an er nears familiar with all types of drug tests.
    laughter is the best medicine when done kindly

7. Quote Originally Posted by deadhorse View Post
    How long does clonazepam- (and other benzos if you know the detection time) last in your urine. More specifically- what about a one time larger dose of 2-6 mg . I know the answer is somewhere in the range of 3 days to a month- but for a skinny person- do you have an estimate that is within a closer range than many state. I know most places don't test for it and it doesn't show up in some tests, but lets pretend we have one that does. What I really want to know is- can a skinny, somewhat active person, in a hypothetical situation, pass a urine screen for clonazepam in 6-7 days. Thanks PR!!!!
    A rule of thumb for drug elimination is that it will be out of your system in 4-5 half-lives after your last dose. Klonopin has an AVERAGE half-life of 30-40 hours (everyone is different in metabolism of drugs and different sources cite different half-lives: 18-50, 19-60, and many variations of those numbers. So 18-60 max has an average of 39 hours. 5 X 39= 195 hours (7x24=168). But by the time you take your test the drug concentration might be too low to detect.

Klonopin is highly fat soluble and you say you are thin so it won't accumulate much, and you are active so chances are your liver function is normal and I assume you drink plenty of fluids and sweat and excrete as a person of above average health would. Basically, you have some things working in your favor but no guarantees.

(The 4-5 half-lives applies to reaching steady state concentration after starting, stopping or changing the dose of a medication in an average, healthy human. Steady state after stopping a drug is when you reach 0 units of drug in your body)
    Helpful deadhorse, jackson Rated helpful

@ bibliotek
    Your so right. Doesn't it get complicated though when metabolites come into play, thats is what they are really testing for any way? The metabolites of clonazepam include 7-aminoclonazepam, 7-acetaminoclonazepam and 3-hydroxy clonazepam. And for this reason , Sometimes you can pass a test since many don't test specifically for these. I haven't been able to find the half lives of these metabolites as of yet, I find that the metabolites are not taken into consideration when the topic of half-lives come up.

9. @dayton: very interesting! I thought for sure that I was dead meat when I walked into the drug testing facility in full-blown withdrawal--I could barely walk, was sweating profusely, craving like a MAD woman...then--surprise!--I got the job.

That was like 10 years ago, around the time Oxy was still on the rise, so I'm sure nowadays testing for it is pretty standard (if they're smart).
    Like fish_bulb liked this post

10. Quote Originally Posted by deadhorse View Post
    @ bibliotek
    Your so right. Doesn't it get complicated though when metabolites come into play, thats is what they are really testing for any way? The metabolites of clonazepam include 7-aminoclonazepam, 7-acetaminoclonazepam and 3-hydroxy clonazepam. And for this reason , Sometimes you can pass a test since many don't test specifically for these. I haven't been able to find the half lives of these metabolites as of yet, I find that the metabolites are not taken into consideration when the topic of half-lives come up.
    @deadhorse as far as I can tell from past research and some experience, they only test for certain active metabolites and Klonopin metabolites are inactive. Diazepam on the other hand has a few active metabolites including temazepam and oxazepam but also desmethyldiazepam which has a longer half-life than diazepam. In fact, many long-acting benzos break down into desmethyldiazepam eventually so it is a reliable indicator of benzo use.

I think drug testing is a two stage process - they do a basic (less expensive) test for the major drug categories, then if you are positive they do a verification screen by more sophisticated means - that's when they can pinpoint metabolites and so forth. Read the "Urine drug screen" portion of this article: Drug test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the first test would pick up Klonopin if it were present in a high enough concentration (the initial tests have a cutoff concentration). If you pass the first stage then they don't have to pay for the more expensive verification tests, which may be necessary legally if you fail the first. But the legality bit is just a wild guess on my part - I don't know a thing about business law.
    Helpful brandon7467, deadhorse Rated helpful

right on bibliotek- i appreciate it- very helpful. My relationship with clonazepam and urine tests has been odd- your answer explains why. I have passed a couple days after using before, but a few times, it stayed around for a while. I always thought that was because they knew to test specifically for it

12. Quote Originally Posted by deadhorse View Post
    right on bibliotek- i appreciate it- very helpful. My relationship with clonazepam and urine tests has been odd- your answer explains why. I have passed a couple days after using before, but a few times, it stayed around for a while. I always thought that was because they knew to test specifically for it
    You're welcome @deadhorse! I think benzo metabolism varies even in an individual, depending on what you eat, drink, and you're overall health at the time. If the liver is busy working on something else it may not have time for the benzo and the half-life will increase. Likewise, if the liver is free to do its maximum metabolizing the half life of a drug might decrease.

Food-drug and drug-drug interactions are fascinating subjects. Drinking grapefruit juice with certain medications for instance can cause toxicity. Using grapefruit juice with certain other meds has been a popular subject on boards like PR (also popular: using cimetidine (Tagamet). Search for either one and you will find lots of talk about both on PR.
    Last edited by TheMoon; 02-12-2012 at 03:56 AM. Reason: additional info/typo

I've read that as long as you take clonaz in lower doses and avoid taking any a day or more before a screening you should pass. This only pertained to clonaz from what I read. ~sub

Quote Originally Posted by greenpharmaz View Post
    I dont think that clonazepam effects on levers if you will take a cap of clonazepam regular then it will effect on your brain and levers.
    Confusing advice.
    You seem to be quite an expert on "levers" effect on the brain, however.
    Did you go to medical school in your country?
    Like Jellyfish liked this post

Don't expect any kind of useful answer @alumni

Unless you want to buy from his site of course

Damn. Already "disappeared."
    A veritable cornucopia of counterfeit drugs for sale.
    Hopefully no one gets suckered by his dopey web site.

well i may be able to give some real world results soon

What are levers? Idk maybe there are levers in my brain. I've never looked. ~sub
    Last edited by BuckeyeFan; 02-12-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: To edit?

aussieandy is a jewel in the roughaussieandy is a jewel in the roughaussieandy is a jewel in the roughaussieandy is a jewel in the roughaussieandy is a jewel in the roughaussieandy is a jewel in the roughaussieandy is a jewel in the roughaussieandy is a jewel in the roughaussieandy is a jewel in the rough

Anyone had personal experience or even better been on the testing end of pre-employment testing. I have a pre employment drug test tomorrow. I have a perscription for .5 mg xanax to be taken at bed time when i have trouble falling asleep. My very understanding dr perscribed me the alprazolam because the temazepam he had previously given me made me feel a bit hung over in the morning's and i start very early. I have worked on construction and mine sites all over the country and while testing positive to benzo's several times and then my samples being subject to confirmatory testing none of those company's have had an issue. This however is a pre-employment for a goverment rail company. Any idea's if i'll come out on top? I know our procedures and standards and quite different to those in the U.S. We are still in the dark ages down here and thing's are only getting worse. I'm Starting to wonder when they will combine the flag of the old USSR, North Korea's and Cuba's and make it our's. Prob better suited to the way our country is being run.
    Last edited by aussieandy; 02-12-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typo

i take a valium and/or xanax for my drug screens, so i can piss into the cup and get my blood drawn in a crowd. shy kidneys. also would throw in a couple beers on top of that for good measure. tested annually for DOT. never a problem passing. pre or post employment. most companies arent looking for it.
    Helpful aussieandy Rated helpful
    Like davidcr liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast