NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 679 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shocked by the cost of Brand Klonopin

Rockieroads will become famous soon enoughRockieroads will become famous soon enoughRockieroads will become famous soon enough

Default Shocked by the cost of Brand Klonopin

My dr. gave me a script for the brand klonopin. My pharmacy called and said it was as much as a mortgage payment & I have insurance. I was shocked. The generic works but I felt sometimes I need an extra one so I wanted to go back to the brand. Well I was in for a rude awakening. It was close to $500 for just a 30 day supply. These pharmaceutical companies are making billions and sort of forcing the generics on us as most of us don't have a choice due to the exorbitant cost of brand medicines. So naturally I got the generic but it's crazy, who can afford the brand anymore!! Something should be done about that as it is unfair. I couldn't imagine what the cost would be without insurance. No wonder people have to go ********.
    Like Blockhead, CXR, Whisperjet727 liked this post

giddyUp will become famous soon enough

I don't know much about klonopin, except I have taken it at least once and it messed me up pretty good! I don't see how legally the generic can be any different than the brand name chemically.... I mean, if you are getting it from some unregulated ******** mail order place vs. a US pharmacy... $500 for 30 days sounds like a pretty big script!

Other people probably have more insight into this subject, but it has to be the same chemical and amount or else something is really really wrong!
    Helpful H20shed65, sambob Rated helpful

Quaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to allQuaalude is a name known to all

@Rockieroads

That's Hoffman-La Roche for you! Their brand Klonopin and Valium will break the bank and I know of zero (0) pharmacies in my area that even stock it. Don't know if it's across the board with all their pharmaceutical products but know from experience their Klonopin and Valium are astronomical. It's quality medication but unless you've got money growing on trees, it's going to be generics. And, unfortunately, some of the generics out there really leave a LOT to be desired. Used to have a woman come in when I was working retail pharmacy in college and demand brand name Roche 10mg Valium. We had to stock it especially for her and she'd mosey on in and whip out that roll of cash and purchase her monthly #60 like clockwork. I love that story. I hear some of the IOP vendors carry Roche branded Klonopin of great quality under their foreign trade name Rivotril. In any event, I do know exactly where you're coming from and you're frustration.
    Last edited by Quaalude; 06-14-2012 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Like File Error 500, sambob liked this post

4. OMG and I only pay $3.26 for 60 generic Klonopin at my local pharmacy. If the non-generic is what you want it would be cheaper to order it from an IOP.
    Last edited by File Error 500; 06-13-2012 at 12:08 AM.
    Helpful Quaalude, Zombiefisher Rated helpful
    Like Carter liked this post

djrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud of

A $500 RX and you have insurance? Nuts. How much would your insurance kick in?

US Medical system is just one more broken thing in this country, so here we all are, reading, in my case, sometimes posting, trying to get some more insight in being able to
    manage issues we have using the money we have got.
    Helpful bob cobb, Keith K Stone, Allycat Rated helpful
    Like Zombiefisher, PEACHPLUMPEAR liked this post

bob cobb is offline Banned Reason: Causing constant flame wars
    bob cobb has a spectacular aura aboutbob cobb has a spectacular aura aboutbob cobb has a spectacular aura aboutbob cobb has a spectacular aura aboutbob cobb has a spectacular aura aboutbob cobb has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by djrick View Post
    A $500 RX and you have insurance? Nuts. How much would your insurance kick in?

US Medical system is just one more broken thing in this country, so here we all are, reading, in my case, sometimes posting, trying to get some more insight in being able to
    manage issues we have using the money we have got.
    Couldn't agree more, @djrick

Basileuz has a spectacular aura aboutBasileuz has a spectacular aura aboutBasileuz has a spectacular aura aboutBasileuz has a spectacular aura aboutBasileuz has a spectacular aura about

Every time I see these stories I'm shocked with US corruption. The cost of these meds is VERY low. Here, a box with 30 pills of 2mg Rivotril (Roche-branded clonazepam in most non-English speaking countries) cost $5, without any insurance involved, you just need a script. And yeah, it's good real stuff.

So, they're charging for it 100x more than what they charge here. BTW, the taxes here are pretty high (taxes increase the price by at least 25%). And I'm sure Roche still makes a big nice profit selling at these prices. A good and reliable generic costs half this price.

EDIT:
    By the way, chemically the generics are the same thing as the brand medication. A chemical substance is a chemical substance. Clonazepam is clonazepam. The only possible differences are in purity and dosage. Well, this kind of stuff is usually pure, else shit could happen and the manufacturers would get their ass sued. The problem is the amount of the substance.

What happens is that the FDA has very relaxed rules for generics. A generic can have up to 25% less of the active ingredient it claims to have and still be within FDA rules. So, a generic 2mg Clonazepam may actually be a 1.5mg Clonazepam and still be legally sold.

Some countries have stricter rules. I know that all generics meds here have to go through strict bioequivalency tests to prove they're the same as the brand product. You can, of course, sell medications with the same active substance but different pharmacokinetics, but then you have to sell it under another brand name and not as a generic.
    Last edited by Basileuz; 06-13-2012 at 12:48 AM.
    Like Quaalude liked this post
    Codein's patient information - "Side effects: ... False sense of well-being."

GoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really nice

I used to work in a related business to the pharms marketing people and they all drove the most expensive cars, had the best of everything, and back in the day could pay drs pretty much openly to push their drugs,

What crime is it that REALLY fills the prisons?

The crime of poverty.
    Like Starscream_, djrick liked this post

djrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud ofdjrick has much to be proud of

What crime is it that REALLY fills the prisons?

The crime of poverty. @GoingBananas, so very true. If you have the money, like most systems now in the US, you can buy your justice.

10. I checked the pricing at Costco.com and 100 1mg cost 223. Not sure where you are getting 500 from unless you are getting 200 pills a month which would be rare.

The generics are just as good as the brand name with US benzos.

11. To those questioning how much the insurance company is contributing to the brand name the answer is zero to the equivalent of what they would pay for a generic. anyone who complains about the cost of insurance in one breath then wants brand name drugs paid for by insurance when generic bioequivalents are available have very flawed logic imo.

generics cannot have a varience of active ingredients in the us. they MUST BE THE SAME STRENGTH AND MEET THE SAME MANUFACTURING STANDARDS! this is why there is no reason to require brand name 99.9% of the time.
    Last edited by insureu; 06-25-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    Helpful billyboy, Hrethic, bradw Rated helpful

12. A quick search shows SR having them for $108 for 200mg of Klonopin brand clonazepam, or even Valium brand diazepam if you don't mind substituting at $144 for 2500mg. These are simply the first listings I came across, you very well mind find better pricing from other vendors there. Vogue also has decent prices on brand names;180mg of Klonopin for $100, and 1000mg diazepam for $70 they don't seem to have brand named Valium however.

its absolutely disgusting the way these generic companies work if they had their way they would haul the small suppliers through the courts and have them stopped at all costs, they feel its their given right to sell drugs at extortionate prices to the poor and needy. as was said in the post above something needs to be done and fast, these companies are taking the piss out of the planet and it drives me mad.

Quote Originally Posted by insureu View Post
    To those questioning how much the insurance company is contributing to the brand name the answer is zero to the equivalent of what they would pay for a generic. anyone who complains about the cost of insurance in one breath then wants brand name drugs paid for by insurance when generic bioequivalents are available have very flawed logic imo.

generics cannot have a varience of active ingredients in the us. they MUST BE THE SAME STRENGTH AND MEET THE SAME MANUFACTURING STANDARDS! this is why there is no reason to require brand name 99.9% of the time.
    I believe this is very well-stated.
    I don't, however, understand the issue that @ben_zo is complaining about regarding generic drugs. The manufacturing and marketing of generics is obviously not somehow contributing to "extortionate prices." Just the opposite.
    Maybe he can explain the source of his disgust.

I live in magic solitude of cloudy looking mountains
    parogers is just really niceparogers is just really niceparogers is just really niceparogers is just really niceparogers is just really niceparogers is just really niceparogers is just really niceparogers is just really niceparogers is just really niceparogers is just really nice

"generics cannot have a varience of active ingredients in the us. they MUST BE THE SAME STRENGTH AND MEET THE SAME MANUFACTURING STANDARDS! this is why there is no reason to require brand name 99.9% of the time."

Agree with this statement, what can be different is the fillers and that may interact with different people in different ways. But as far as 25% less, sorry, not in the US.
    I can resist everything except temptation ~ O. Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by insureu View Post
    To those questioning how much the insurance company is contributing to the brand name the answer is zero to the equivalent of what they would pay for a generic. anyone who complains about the cost of insurance in one breath then wants brand name drugs paid for by insurance when generic bioequivalents are available have very flawed logic imo.

Unreal. Thank you. Probably one of the wisest posts I've read in response to one of the stupidest posts I've read, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by parogers View Post
    "generics cannot have a varience of active ingredients in the us. they MUST BE THE SAME STRENGTH AND MEET THE SAME MANUFACTURING STANDARDS! this is why there is no reason to require brand name 99.9% of the time."

Agree with this statement, what can be different is the fillers and that may interact with different people in different ways. But as far as 25% less, sorry, not in the US.
    Thanks, i didn't know about the guidelines for generics. If I am buying from a source I trust, then Generic is always the way to go whenever there is a big price difference.

Best of luck to you.

yes i realised what i said when i woke up this morning sorry , why i typed that i'll never know, i wont go and edit my post i'll live with being a dumbass, and can we pretend this never happened.
    Last edited by ben_zo; 07-01-2012 at 09:16 AM.

DeepSouth is offline Banned Reason: Shill like posts (constantly pushing vendor for users, rather then just a simple review) arguing with other users that don't agree with this vendor
    DeepSouth will become famous soon enoughDeepSouth will become famous soon enoughDeepSouth will become famous soon enough

So he wrote it for the brand name? That would be the Kpins that have the actual "K" cut out into them.. They are like quardtrouple (sp) the price of generics, when generics work just the same and/or better! I requested the name brand once, and I was stunned at the price also, the pharmacist is pretty good friend and he said they were forced to keep them in stock for some reason (name brand), but that he has never once filled a script with the name brand. There are so many generics that work just as good/better as Ive said, but some of the generics seems to not work so good. Ask for the Sandoz generic, its the only good generic version I can think of right now. I know Mylan has a bad rep as a generic Klonopin.

JoBohrer will become famous soon enoughJoBohrer will become famous soon enoughJoBohrer will become famous soon enoughJoBohrer will become famous soon enough

I have seen you are in the senior area so i will write a post to this thema under expressmeds ok ?

Greets
    Johannes
    Loved me then when i supply less because then i needed most

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast