NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1774 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Money Gram Security Closed My Account

mojoking will become famous soon enoughmojoking will become famous soon enoughmojoking will become famous soon enoughmojoking will become famous soon enough

Default Money Gram Security Closed My Account

I have been doing this for years now and Moneygram will not let me send a payment using a credit card or any other way online. I called them on the phone and they said the security department had closed my account and there is nothing they can do to fix this. Now I have to go into a store and do my transfers. Anyone ever have problems with this. Did they ever open your account back up?

Thanks

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    Money Gram Security Closed My Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mojoking View Post
    I have been doing this for years now and Moneygram will not let me send a payment using a credit card or any other way online. I called them on the phone and they said the security department had closed my account and there is nothing they can do to fix this. Now I have to go into a store and do my transfers. Anyone ever have problems with this. Did they ever open your account back up?

Thanks

Sounds like one of the receivers you were sending money to was flagged for some reason. That would be the only reason they would close your account. I seriously doubt they will open it back up. I'd rather do my transactions at the store anyway. I'd rather wear a ballcap pulled down and use a fake name sending money using cash rather than using the website and a credit card that could be traced back to me. Not quite as convenient but much safer IMO.
    Helpful waterlogged Rated helpful

Kittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud of

I've heard of this happening to other WU and MoneyGram customers in the past. @twinturbo is EXACTLY right - either you sent too many MoneyGrams to a flagged area, sent a MoneyGram to a flagged receiver or sometimes your CC company will even flag the transactions since they're technically cash advances. While it's inconvenient - you're just going to have to do your MoneyGrams in person from now on. Which raises a question - WU doesn't ask for ID when you send money yet today when I sent a MoneyGram they asked for ID - is that normal (it's never happened to me before when SENDING on MoneyGram only when RECEIVING)...
    Like waterlogged liked this post
    Every moment is an experience ~ Jake Roberts

5. I always go in person to the store, but I do send online to my family (when my sister needs help paying rent, etc.). But for online orders, I go to the store.

LATELY, at the store they have been asking me if I KNOW the person I'm sending the money to. Usually they never ask anything. ALSO, I just sent money to my sister last night ONLINE, and noticed that all my "foreign" transactions were also listed on my online profile, which is odd, because I use a different phone number and address -- same name, though. ??? Mystery??

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 3 minutes after the last post:*

Oh -- and for the original poster: my sister got her money gram account closed as well. She tried EVERYTHING to re-open it and wasn't able to for a long time, but then she moved to a different state and was able to re-open her account (she didn't move JUST to be able to send money online, of course, but maybe you just need to get a new IP address or something??). I hope that helps. Same thing happened with her Pay Pal account, and she has been banned from Pay Pal for LIFE, but I think you can eventually get a new money gram account.

Good Luck!!
    Last edited by Polrs; 01-30-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    Helpful HiJenny Rated helpful

I had been reading about people having trouble setting up online MG accounts so was a bit nervous when I opened mine last month. As I was filling in the information online, and I'm talking just entering my credit card number, phone number etc. I got a call asking if this was so and so, and could I verify my last three addresses, plus other personal information I've not been asked when opening ANY account before. I asked some very naive questions about why they needed to know where I used to live and all, let her explain the need to prevent fraudulent online activities and told them to keep up the good work, was SO glad to see they were taking care to prevent identity theft, and I would most certainly recommend their service yada yada, and everything went through while I was still on the phone with them (told her I was technologically challenged and could she walk me through it.)

It was a bit strange getting the call while I had not yet completed my transaction, but have had no problems in the two times I've used them. Would sure like to know which the "hot spots" are, though using common sense some are pretty obvious, but you can bet sending money to a flagged area is noted somewhere on a federal database.

As a side note, I really wanted to order from AMC and they finally emailed me and said they would accept WU but not MG. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but I wasn't thrilled about sending money internationally from two different services, so had to pass on this.

Have since gotten a Netspend card and loaded it to the max, and hope AMC will accept prepaid VISAs. They politely told me that no, they didn't accept prepaid but Netspend assured me there is no difference in their credit card numbers and a normal VISA you would apply for. Plan to try this with AMC so guess I'll find out soon enough.
    Last edited by waverunner; 01-30-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Kittsoan1989 View Post
    I've heard of this happening to other WU and MoneyGram customers in the past. @twinturbo is EXACTLY right - either you sent too many MoneyGrams to a flagged area, sent a MoneyGram to a flagged receiver or sometimes your CC company will even flag the transactions since they're technically cash advances. While it's inconvenient - you're just going to have to do your MoneyGrams in person from now on. Which raises a question - WU doesn't ask for ID when you send money yet today when I sent a MoneyGram they asked for ID - is that normal (it's never happened to me before when SENDING on MoneyGram only when RECEIVING)...
    In my experience it is NOT normal for them to ask for an ID when sending less than $1000. Nor have they ever asked me if I know the person I'm sending it to. I usually go to the customer service desk at grocery stores when I send and I always pick a random name and address out of the phone book to use as sender info.
    Like Feefee liked this post

8. I was wondering how many of your use multiple names when sending WU and MG on a regular basis. Have any of you heard that WU will only let you send money using the same name a certain amount of times before you are flagged?
    Helpful waverunner Rated helpful

To be fair, I'm surprised you e been able to do it online for that long.
    Most people, including myself, do the odd transaction over the phone/online..but for the long term majority of the time, you're better doing it at an agent with the forms, where filling that out alone will suffice.

Kittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud of

@Vidalia - From what I know it's not the SENDING of money to a certain name that will get you flagged - In one instance w/ one supplier that used WU, I sent money to a "receiver" (in quotes because it was probably a fake name" - according to the supplier, I had to re-send the money to a new "person" (basically just a different name) because the original name I was sending money to had exceed WU's transaction limits - IDK if it's a dollar amount or number of transactions but I know that recepients can get cut off - i've never heard of a SENDER getting cut off for sending money to the same perosn too often but IDK - it could happen I guess.

The only reason I asked about an ID for Moneygram is because I sent one today (I rarely use MoneyGram - WU is more convenient) and I sent WAY LESS than $1000 and the clerk verified my ID - it was just weird because that had never happened before and I was sending the MG from a shady check-cashing place that I didn't think really cared LOL...
    Like Alternate liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mojoking View Post

Thanks
    @mojoking
    This is weird. Are you sure the clerk did not mean that MG closed down the account of the receiver. Why would they care about the sender and close a sender's account? I don't get why they care about who is sending money. Can you elaborate on how you were sending...you mentioned you had an account. Does that mean that you could send money and get monthly statements or something? Elaborate

I was thinking about that it had to do with the receiver like @twinturbo said.

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 3 minutes after the last post:*

Quote Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
    Sounds like one of the receivers you were sending money to was flagged for some reason. That would be the only reason they would close your account. I seriously doubt they will open it back up. I'd rather do my transactions at the store anyway. I'd rather wear a ballcap pulled down and use a fake name sending money using cash rather than using the website and a credit card that could be traced back to me. Not quite as convenient but much safer IMO.
    @twinturbo - I have a question. Doesn't MG require ID....whereas WU does not. I like WU. How do you get around them wanting to see an ID at the store. Or does MG only ask for ID on border states like TEXAS, CAlifornia, ETc
    Last edited by Loubitan; 01-30-2012 at 04:36 PM.

jags2ooo is offline Banned Reason: Email vendor trying to sell through the forums
    jags2ooo will become famous soon enoughjags2ooo will become famous soon enoughjags2ooo will become famous soon enoughjags2ooo will become famous soon enough

Just always use your real name and send it in peron, they take more precautions when payments are made online using a credit card. Money Gram / Western Union in person only accepts CASH. Back in 2007-2010 When I i just starting turning to a meat head/Weight lifting addict. I used to get my "NON STEROIDS " Supplements :cool
    ******** but my source only accepted Western Union. After 2 years of sending western union payments for 300+ dollars... i got flagged. They asked me why i have been sending this amount to this person who's way in Romania, I just told them that he's my Sisters husband lol and they didn't question me again and lift the red flag from my account.
    Last edited by jags2ooo; 01-30-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    Helpful diazafan, HiJenny Rated helpful
    Like diazafan liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Kittsoan1989 View Post
    @Kittsoan1989 - MG always asks for ID. WU does not if it is less than $1000.
    Helpful waverunner Rated helpful
    Like Kittsoan1989 liked this post

Coheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud of

Just sent WU last week and no id needed. Much rather use fake name,,address phone number etc.

I know though it depends how much your sending and to which country and probably what location your using too.

@Loubitan - Thanks for the Info - I rarely send MG's because I have to drive about 20 minutes to get to Wal-Mart or a checki cashing store rather than walk across the street to K-Mart which has WU.

@Coheed - Be careful using fake names - if there's ever a problem w/ your transaction YOU WILL NEED ID to get your money back - so be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by Vidalia View Post
    I was wondering how many of your use multiple names when sending WU and MG on a regular basis. Have any of you heard that WU will only let you send money using the same name a certain amount of times before you are flagged?
    @Vidalia: I have heard this only, and I don't have personal experience. However, I heard that the border towns in Mexico are treated differently than other parts of Mexico. For example, I heard the border town of Tijuana, which borders California, a receiver there can only receive a maximum dollar amount, but this does not apply to other parts of Mexico. I have an issue with the way MG and WU ask for personal information when sending small amounts of money, and I would use an alias name, as I don't think it is a crime to send money using an alias. The reason I would use an alias is because the MG form asks for social security number information and driver license number. That means the clerk at the Walmart would have everything they need to steal your identity. I would definitley use alias names to protect your identity from identity theft. Use Family members, so if you need to get a check refund, the family member can receive the refund. If you can't use a family member, only send as much money as you would be willing to lose. This is only IMHO, and I have not had experience, but have read about all of this in this forum.

Coheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud of

@Kittsoan1989 I'd rather be out of a little money than have everyone know my personal info but thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Loubitan View Post
    @twinturbo - I have a question. Doesn't MG require ID....whereas WU does not. I like WU. How do you get around them wanting to see an ID at the store. Or does MG only ask for ID on border states like TEXAS, CAlifornia, ETc
    I usually use WU but I have gone to Wally World to do a few MG's before and they never asked for an ID or asked me any questions. This was last year though so their policy may have changed. This would be the first I've heard of it changing though if it has.

Quote Originally Posted by jags2ooo View Post
    Just always use your real name and send it in peron, they take more precautions when payments are made online using a credit card. Money Gram / Western Union in person only accepts CASH. Back in 2007-2010 When I i just starting turning to a meat head/Weight lifting addict. I used to get my "NON STEROIDS " Supplements :cool
    ******** but my source only accepted Western Union. After 2 years of sending western union payments for 300+ dollars... i got flagged. They asked me why i have been sending this amount to this person who's way in Romania, I just told them that he's my Sisters husband lol and they didn't question me again and lift the red flag from my account.

I agree 100% with your post. While it's none of their business who you are sending money to and why, they still seem to care a great deal. If you are questioned, however, just have your reason prepared.

There are many legitimate reasons to be sending money internationally. People do it every day. You should not feel guilty sending money to your friends in other countries.

You are not a criminal.
    Like Carter, mongoose, djrick liked this post

Sj2011 is offline Banned Reason: Continual Aggressive Posting towards PR Members, Forum, Admin, and Mods
    Sj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond reputeSj2011 has a reputation beyond repute

@diazafan, I completely agree, if they are questioned have reasons ready and give a bear in the head light look, not a deer.
    Like Carter, Alternate, waterlogged liked this post

Feefee will become famous soon enoughFeefee will become famous soon enough

@mojoking yes it has happened to me. Around 4 years ago MoneyGram closed my account. They closed it because I used a card that did not have enough funds on it. I thought that I had $400.00 on my card and instead i had $399 and my card was declined. 3 days later, they closed my account. I guess they thought I was trying to rip them off or something. I called them up and they said they will never open up my account again due to security reasons. It was a simple mistake I made and they told me to go to a store that used Moneygram instead. I had a relative open up another account for me instead though.
    Like killbill liked this post

22. Money Gram Security Closed My Account
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast