NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 835 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: MoneyGram No Identification Limits For U.S.

MrClean has a spectacular aura aboutMrClean has a spectacular aura aboutMrClean has a spectacular aura aboutMrClean has a spectacular aura aboutMrClean has a spectacular aura aboutMrClean has a spectacular aura about

Default MoneyGram No Identification Limits For U.S.

MoneyGram limits for Sender/Receiver with no identification appears to be $899. Go to MoneyGram Corporate website, Legal, Anti-Money Laundering Compliance, then click on "U.S. Agent Compliance Training Guide." (.pdf)

Page seven of the Guide states:

"Recordkeeping for Money Transfers

Both sending and receiving agents must obtain and record specific information for money transfers of $3,000 or more regardless of the method of payment. The customer must be physically present in your location when conducting a transaction so that you can obtain and verify the customer’s identifying information.

Before completing a Send and / or Receive of $900 or more, you must obtain and record the customer’s government issued photo ID."
    (italicized
    for emphasis)

Obviously this is for in-person transactions at a MoneyGram outlet/store.

A few months ago tried to send a little over $900 and was asked for ID. I thought the limit was $1,000. Unfortunately, I had left my ID at home and was unable to complete the transaction.

This is the best information I could find and they don't make it easy. If anyone has any additional information, different limits, comments, etc. please post.

MrClean
    Helpful celldweller, UGAgal Rated helpful

Good post. Here are the Western Union limits/requirements as I remember them:

$1,000: valid government issued photo ID
    $3,000: ID, DOB, SSN, and occupation
    $7,000: all the above and they must call WU compliance office
    $10,000: all the above and they must fill out a CTR (currency transaction report)

Do not break a large transaction into smaller ones to avoid record keeping requirements. This is called "structuring". It is illegal and if the store notices it, they will fill out a SAR (suspicious activity report).
    Like MrClean liked this post

UGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by celldweller View Post
    Good post. Here are the Western Union limits/requirements as I remember them:

$1,000: valid government issued photo ID
    $3,000: ID, DOB, SSN, and occupation
    $7,000: all the above and they must call WU compliance office
    $10,000: all the above and they must fill out a CTR (currency transaction report)

Do not break a large transaction into smaller ones to avoid record keeping requirements. This is called "structuring". It is illegal and if the store notices it, they will fill out a SAR (suspicious activity report).
    You COULD send a small transaction from one store then hop to another and send a second transaction changing your info a tiny bit. At least I would....
    Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

One certainly could do that, but as I noted above it is technically illegal. Not that that has ever stopped anyone...

UGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by celldweller View Post
    One certainly could do that, but as I noted above it is technically illegal. Not that that has ever stopped anyone...
    Well....yeah....but so is many other things we are doing....so what is one more tiny illegal action? But then I am a gambling woman and live on the dangerous side
    Like Coheed liked this post
    Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

6. Last time I tried to send a western union payment I was ID'd and it was only around 300$.

Whenever the clerk put my name into the computer he had a slightly surprised look on his face when he asked for my ID.

Should I be worried? What all does a SAR report entail?

Quote Originally Posted by colony22 View Post
    Last time I tried to send a western union payment I was ID'd and it was only around 300$.

Whenever the clerk put my name into the computer he had a slightly surprised look on his face when he asked for my ID.

Should I be worried? What all does a SAR report entail?
    Need more details...... Have you sent from that location before? When was the last time you sent before that? Did you actually show them ID?

Rockieroads will become famous soon enoughRockieroads will become famous soon enoughRockieroads will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
    MoneyGram limits for Sender/Receiver with no identification appears to be $899. Go to MoneyGram Corporate website, Legal, Anti-Money Laundering Compliance, then click on "U.S. Agent Compliance Training Guide." (.pdf)

Page seven of the Guide states:

"Recordkeeping for Money Transfers

Both sending and receiving agents must obtain and record specific information for money transfers of $3,000 or more regardless of the method of payment. The customer must be physically present in your location when conducting a transaction so that you can obtain and verify the customerís identifying information.

Before completing a Send and / or Receive of $900 or more, you must obtain and record the customerís government issued photo ID."
    (italicized
    for emphasis)

Obviously this is for in-person transactions at a MoneyGram outlet/store.

A few months ago tried to send a little over $900 and was asked for ID. I thought the limit was $1,000. Unfortunately, I had left my ID at home and was unable to complete the transaction.

This is the best information I could find and they don't make it easy. If anyone has any additional information, different limits, comments, etc. please post.

MrClean
    When I used WU at a local store, it was only for $600 & I had to show ID. I used a DBcard so maybe that is why because the ATM wouldn't give me more than I needed for some odd reason so I had no choice but to use my card. If it's all cash, why do they need ID? It is so annoying that everything has to be under a microscope. They should just take the money and be glad we're using their service and paying a charge for it. UGH! How controlled the world is becoming.

Somekinda is offline Banned Reason: advertising/trading through PMs
    Somekinda will become famous soon enough

How much can people receive without a problem?

For example I have gotten money at western union almost every day for awhile. Always small amounts and I alway filled out the forms with my real info. This was related to paying for university. But could someone have problems receiving money at WU if they don't get large amounts but get regular amounts?

I guess I should be using the secret question and answer so I dont have to show Id

Quote Originally Posted by Somekinda View Post
    How much can people receive without a problem?

For example I have gotten money at western union almost every day for awhile. Always small amounts and I alway filled out the forms with my real info. This was related to paying for university. But could someone have problems receiving money at WU if they don't get large amounts but get regular amounts?

I guess I should be using the secret question and answer so I dont have to show Id
    No worries receiving every day if it is small amount. What do you consider small amount?