NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 606 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Changing Receiver Name by Phone MoneyGram

Bellavista44 is a jewel in the roughBellavista44 is a jewel in the roughBellavista44 is a jewel in the roughBellavista44 is a jewel in the roughBellavista44 is a jewel in the roughBellavista44 is a jewel in the roughBellavista44 is a jewel in the roughBellavista44 is a jewel in the rough

Default Changing Receiver Name by Phone MoneyGram

Can this be done?

The OP said the receiver name is blocked so I have to change it to a whole new name.

I am out in the country, don't have a car today or tomorrow and am too low on meds...

Does anyone know if you can change a whole name by phone with MG?

MY CIRCUMSTANCES

Given I use MG somewhat regularly, I thought I could call and tell them clerk selected old receiver name by mistake since it was in their system. Given I have to change receiver name often and don't have any problems, does MG try to buckle down on this? (Calling in with different name)
    Last edited by Bellavista44; 03-28-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    Until you submit, self medicate

MayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I changed the whole name, I did it in person. HAD to. Once the cashier left a letter out of the 1st name. They let me do that by phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellavista44 View Post
    Can this be done?

The OP said the receiver name is blocked so I have to change it to a whole new name.

I am out in the country, don't have a car today or tomorrow and am too low on meds...

Does anyone know if you can change a whole name by phone with MG?

Given I use MG somewhat regularly, I thought I could call and tell them clerk selected old receiver name by mistake since it was in their system. Given I have to change receiver name often and don't have any problems, does MG try to buckle down on this? (Calling in with different name)
    Helpful Bananastickers, Bellavista44 Rated helpful

Bellavista44 is a jewel in the roughBellavista44 is a jewel in the roughBellavista44 is a jewel in the roughBellavista44 is a jewel in the roughBellavista44 is a jewel in the roughBellavista44 is a jewel in the roughBellavista44 is a jewel in the roughBellavista44 is a jewel in the rough

Okay well I wouldn't advise calling. The receiver is blocked and under review and now I am being reviewed....

I guess it was stupid of me to be dumb enough to call. Oh well!
    Helpful Bananastickers Rated helpful

Outcome: MG issued reference number for refund on phone. Stated receiver on blocked list by U.S.

Accompanied hubby to work in city, went to store, got refund. Issued new MG with new receiver name so I guess I am fine with MG but changing name by phone doesn't work.

IF OP tells you receiver is blocked, don't make any inquiries. Just go back to store, tell them you sent to wrong person and go through the process there. I am thinking this will raise fewer eyebrows then when calling MG and they put you on hold a few times.
    Last edited by Bellavista44; 03-28-2013 at 06:36 PM.
    Helpful Bananastickers, Allycat Rated helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Bellavista44 View Post
    Outcome: MG issued reference number for refund on phone. Stated receiver on blocked list by U.S.

Went to store, got refund. Issued new MG with new receiver name so I guess I am fine with MG but changing name by phone doesn't work.
    I have changed receiver name by phone in the past. Generally I have been successful when trying to correct the receiver name as opposed to completely changing it to a new name. Although I have actually changed entire receiver names by phone before, in cases where I keep receiver location the same. I was told once that I could not change both the name and receiver location of a moneygram, and in that case was forced to get a refund and make a new moneygram. That particular time I was trying to change receiver name and the receiving country completely.

But if you have a transaction that is flagged by security, you will not be able to even alter the name. As you found out, they will issue you a new reference # so you can pick up your money and try again with a new moneygram.

Basically, the smaller the change, the more chance you can do it by phone. And if it is flagged by security, meaning your receiver probably told you they can't pick it up, you won't be able to just change that moneygram to a new receiver either in person or on the phone. You will have to create a new moneygram.
    Like Bellavista44 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Oxidize View Post
    But if you have a transaction that is flagged by security, you will not be able to even alter the name. As you found out, they will issue you a new reference # so you can pick up your money and try again with a new moneygram.

Basically, the smaller the change, the more chance you can do it by phone. And if it is flagged by security, meaning your receiver probably told you they can't pick it up, you won't be able to just change that moneygram to a new receiver either in person or on the phone. You will have to create a new moneygram.
    Yes this is exactly the case. OP told me that particular receiver was blocked. When I called MG, CS told me the U.S. does not want to send money to that receiver.

I was lucky to get out of trouble myself. I am assuming it is because I sounded like an innocent professional person just wanting to complete a legitimate transaction and this was all a nuisance. I couldn't demonstrate fear on the line. Of course if I end up sending money to any more blocked receivers, I may not be welcome to MG.

MoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud of

I had to change receiver name once. Don't know why, and didn't ask. It was a long term vendor who provided excellent service. I went back to store the same day, and they let me do it no problem.
    *** Where is my toaster ? ***

Quote Originally Posted by MoonShade View Post
    I had to change receiver name once. Don't know why, and didn't ask. It was a long term vendor who provided excellent service. I went back to store the same day, and they let me do it no problem.
    Just an FYI, I started this thread to find out if you could change entire receiver's name (not location) by phone with MoneyGram. I even stated it in title in case I end up with this problem again in a year or so and then I can do a title search and remember outcome lol

I live so far out in the country, I can't see a neighbor. My hub and I have 1 car because we are in transition and I couldn't get a car to drive into city and change receiver name. (Hub doesn't know I order online)

Hence I was stuck in sticks and low on meds...

MoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud ofMoonShade has much to be proud of

I know. I understood you perfectly. Just sharing an experience I had "in store".

Problems can also be encountered "in store" for various reasons. Anyway, sorry if you felt my post was unhelpful.
    Last edited by MoonShade; 03-29-2013 at 12:57 AM.
    Like Cash liked this post
    *** Where is my toaster ? ***

Quote Originally Posted by MoonShade View Post
    Just sharing an experience I had "in store".

Problems can also be encountered "in store" for various reasons. Anyway, sorry if you felt my post was unhelpful.

I seriously meant no offense and appreciate your post. It was just frustrating searching for a thread to answer my specific problem.