Thread: can i give my cat erythromycin ophthalmic ointment his eye is very red and irratated and watery?

amanda e is offline Junior Member

Default can i give my cat erythromycin ophthalmic ointment his eye is very red and irratated and watery?

I come home yesterday from visiting my Family, and My kitty cat "Frigger" didn't look so good he kept rubbing his right eye. i went up to him and it was really red and watery. So i Have this stuff erythromycin ophthalmic ointment, in used when my infant daughter had a blocked tearduck. Can that hurt him ? and if so what can I put on it to make it better

abnegation218 is offline Junior Member

I wouldn't try it. Medicine is made with the assumption that it will be used on humans, and as such, the R&D is focused on the effects the product will have on us, not on cats or dogs.

I would just take Frigger to the vet as soon as possible. I doubt it's anything that you need to write home about, but when it comes to animals, you can't be sure...

moonlightonalake is offline Junior Member

I really wouldn't use a product for people on a cat. Ring the vet and consult them, you can ask there about using the ointment you have. It may be worth bathing the cat's eye with a sterile saline solution, use boiled and cooled water, to see if this helps.