NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1179 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: USPS from US to Canada? Customs?

Default USPS from US to Canada? Customs?

I was just wondering about something. A package was sent Priority Mail from the Southern US to a few hours from Montreal (and Montreal is close to the US border). Priority is supposed to take between 6-10 business day. package sent 18th of July, and it's now the first of August. The incompetent lady at the post office said one could only get delivery confirmation if the package was sent Express, not the Priority Mail that was going to be used. (I checked the website, and just as I suspected, she was wrong about this! It was not sent in a flat-rate box/envelope. I tried handing her the little) I have no way of knowing where the package is, although I do have the receipt for sending it off... but I've got so many receipts lying around, there's not telling where it is!

So now that I'm through ranting and whining, my question is: Do packages from the US to Canada go through customs? Could this be the hold up?
    Like Keith K Stone liked this post

Keith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond repute
    Keith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by arizona View Post
    I was just wondering about something. A package was sent Priority Mail from the Southern US to a few hours from Montreal (and Montreal is close to the US border). Priority is supposed to take between 6-10 business day. package sent 18th of July, and it's now the first of August. The incompetent lady at the post office said one could only get delivery confirmation if the package was sent Express, not the Priority Mail that was going to be used. (I checked the website, and just as I suspected, she was wrong about this! It was not sent in a flat-rate box/envelope. I tried handing her the little) I have no way of knowing where the package is, although I do have the receipt for sending it off... but I've got so many receipts lying around, there's not telling where it is!

So now that I'm through ranting and whining, my question is: Do packages from the US to Canada go through customs? Could this be the hold up?
    Yes, packages via the US to Canada do go through customs.
    Once it reaches Canada, Canadian customs performs the processing of your package. I say once your package reaches Canada, you are at the mercy of Canadian Customs!
    "I STAND ALONE"..............[PUH*POW]

Quote Originally Posted by Keith K Stone View Post
    Yes, packages via the US to Canada do go through customs.
    Once it reaches Canada, Canadian customs performs the processing of your package. I say once your package reaches Canada, you are at the mercy of Canadian Customs!
    Keith, you're always so helpful! So even though USPS says 6-10 business days, it's really up to Canadian Customs how long it will actually take?

I have a couple of other questions:
    1) I was told delivery confirmation is not available from US to Canada with Priority Mail, only Express. Is this true? Sounds mighty strange- can't it be done with like every other country?
    2) I can't find my damn receipt. If I need to go deal with the post office about this (uuughhhh), will they be able to find my info if I have the addresses and shipment dates, and thus be able to help me?

Keith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond repute
    Keith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond repute
    @arizona
    Wow, those are questions that would be better left to someone who works for the USPS.
    All I know is
    U.S. via Canada= Canadian Customs
    Canada via U.S. = U.S. Customs
    I know this from past experiences, being a seller on ebay.
    Helpful Troubadour, sarahrunon Rated helpful
    "I STAND ALONE"..............[PUH*POW]

Keith, you're always so helpful! So even though USPS says 6-10 business days, it's really up to Canadian Customs how long it will actually take?

I have a couple of other questions:
    1) I was told delivery confirmation is not available from US to Canada with Priority Mail, only Express. Is this true? Sounds mighty strange- can't it be done with like every other country?
    2) I can't find my damn receipt. If I need to go deal with the post office about this (uuughhhh), will they be able to find my info if I have the addresses and shipment dates, and thus be able to help me?
    1. Did the package you sent have a tracking number? Because packages I send to Canada through Registered Priority Airmail are indeed trackable on the Canadian Post's website.

2. Perhaps, but it probably won't be easy or fast. If you don't have your receipt and/or tracking number, they would most likely have to do a manual investigation and that can take ages (if they can even do it at all).

Should have kept your receipt mate.

Although I will mention that one time I had a package in Canadian customs for 14 days! This was around the holiday season however, so I just chalked it up to that...
    Helpful arizona Rated helpful
    Like Keith K Stone liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by RxGuru09 View Post
    1. Did the package you sent have a tracking number? Because packages I send to Canada through Registered Priority Airmail are indeed trackable on the Canadian Post's website.
    That's the thing! She told me the only way my package could be tracked or even get delivery confirmation was through Express mail, which is total BS. So no, I don't have a tracking number.

2. Perhaps, but it probably won't be easy or fast. If you don't have your receipt and/or tracking number, they would most likely have to do a manual investigation and that can take ages (if they can even do it at all).

Should have kept your receipt mate.
    Man, I've got so may receipts and papers around here it's not even funny. I did clean out my car last night a little bit, but don't think I threw the receipt away. So it's probably around here... somewhere.

Although I will mention that one time I had a package in Canadian customs for 14 days! This was around the holiday season however, so I just chalked it up to that...
    Okay, that's good info to know. Thank you so much for your help!

That's the thing! She told me the only way my package could be tracked or even get delivery confirmation was through Express mail, which is total BS. So no, I don't have a tracking number.
    Yeah, that's total BS. Registered Priority Airmail can be tracked too. I've done it many times. She didn't know what she was talking about...

Man, I've got so may receipts and papers around here it's not even funny. I did clean out my car last night a little bit, but don't think I threw the receipt away. So it's probably around here... somewhere.
    LOL, I hear ya. I'm actually going digital now. Every bill, sales receipt, important document that I get I now scan it on my computer and then shred the original. It takes a bit of time to scan the documents, but I'd rather take 2 or 3 minutes of my time doing that then having thousands of papers cluttering up my house that I have to search through just to find something.

Okay, that's good info to know. Thank you so much for your help!
    You're welcome. Hope you're able to sort everything out.

LOL, I hear ya. I'm actually going digital now. Every bill, sales receipt, important document that I get I now scan it on my computer and then shred the original. It takes a bit of time to scan the documents, but I'd rather take 2 or 3 minutes of my time doing that then having thousands of papers cluttering up my house that I have to search through just to find something.
    That's awesome! Do you have a normal scanner or one of those special ones that will let you scan documents?

Of course, I'd have a huge pile of "needs to be scanned" documents... that would never get scanned, so I'd wind up in the same spot. That or I would back it all up and my backup would fail too. LOL!

But really, I think when I move and get settled, I'm going to do that! Say, if you needed to return something to a store, would they accept a print of a scan?

That's awesome! Do you have a normal scanner or one of those special ones that will let you scan documents?
    I just have one of those multi scanner, copier, printers. It's an HP. Quite cheap actually, less than $100. Although I will say the scanning quality is not fantastic, it's good enough for paper documents. It's not like i'm scanning hi res photos or anything so I don't need a super duper scanner.

But I would like to have one of the special document scanners that I can just "slide" the paper through and it would scan it. Perhaps i'll get one if my current scanner ever craps out.

Of course, I'd have a huge pile of "needs to be scanned" documents... that would never get scanned, so I'd wind up in the same spot. That or I would back it all up and my backup would fail too. LOL!
    Oh I didn't even touch all of my "needs to be scanned" documents. I figured I would just start from fresh and not worry with all the docs I already had. If I actually had to scan all of those I probably wouldn't have even started scanning docs.

Yeah, you gotta back up your hard disk on a scheduled basis if you're going to go digital, although that's not too hard nowadays. I just set my computer to back up while i'm sleeping. In the morning it's all finished.

But really, I think when I move and get settled, I'm going to do that! Say, if you needed to return something to a store, would they accept a print of a scan?
    I don't see why not. As long as the quality is half way decent and they can make out the sales details. It's all paper anyway. I think in this day and age people can understand that you might want to keep digital copies vs. paper copies.