NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1093 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: USPS to get rid of overnight shipping.

Default USPS to get rid of overnight shipping.

I hear this on the local news today. I don't know if it effect anyone on here, because I think it would be a big gamble dealing with the government.
    Helpful mrsjones, riverstyx Rated helpful

mikep938 will become famous soon enoughmikep938 will become famous soon enoughmikep938 will become famous soon enough

They're going to get rid of the express mail option? I really don't believe that they would. Express is used for a lot of different purposes by many organizations/businesses. And besides..it's the only way for Sunday delivery!
    Helpful riverstyx Rated helpful
    Like Keith K Stone liked this post

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

@Scully007 I can't find any reports on that. Can you provide a link?

Personally, I don't care if USPS cuts overnight shipping. I avoid USPS like the plague. I have a PO Box, one I'm about to let expire anyway, and they've screwed up more times than I can count. Not once, but twice, I have had an "overnight" shipment come from a friend in a town that is only a three and a half hour drive away from where I live arrive not the next day but two days after the fact. TWO DAYS! For overnight! Each time, the package got diverted to Detroit by mistake, where it took a one-day vacation before continuing on to where I live. No refunds to my friend, and no apologies to me. That's total crap. That has never happened with Fedex, ever. With Fedex, overnight means overnight, unless there's a damn hurricane or cataclysmic event on a massive scale. And that's just for starters. Then there was the extremely important package full of very expensive, hard to find meds sent to me from my friend in Houston, TX using priority mail. Priority mail is supposed to be, well, priority. Like, faster than regular, and for damn sure isn't supposed to get lost. So what happens? I check tracking online, and it says "delivered". I show up at the post office, check my PO box: nothing. I inquire at the front desk: nothing. She says comes back the next day to talk to "Ralph" the higher-ranking guy (by the way, this is a main branch post office in a reasonably sized city, not a rinky dink office in podunk, MI) which is outrageous in my view, but I do it anyway. He checks all over, has clerks check all over, and even though the package scanned as "delivered", there's no sign of my damn package! What happened? I demanded to know. "I don't know," he said, and shrugged, as if it were no big deal. Could he investigate? No, he said. It's not here, and he didn't know where it was. How the hell did it get scanned as delivered, I demanded. I don't know, he offered, like the idiot he was. Three-hundred dollars worth of meds I desperately needed, gone, just like that. You know what really pissed me off? No one, not the clerk, not the manager, not "Ralph" the in-house package detective, offered me an apology. How about, "I'm sorry we screwed up?" Is that so hard. Then, for international packages from the West Pacific area, not once, but twice, an EMS (express mail service, allegedly high priority) package was missent to Montana. I guess Michigan and Montana both have "M's" so of course what's the difference, right? Then, there was the time my Grandpa sent me a check via regular snail mail, for three-thousand dollars, to pay for my car repair that I desperately needed. He sent it from Florida to Michigan. It usually takes 4 days, 5 at the most. Two weeks passed, and there was nothing. The repair was finished, and I had no money to get the car. 3 more days passed. Finally, giving up on the post office once again, I went back to my Grandpa to beg him to wire the money to me instead, promising to void and then destroy the check if it arrived, which I expected it wouldn't. So he wired the money. A full three weeks and six days after mailing the letter, the damn letter showed up in the mail box. 3 weeks and six days!!! What the hell happened to it that it took so long! I followed his instructions and voided the check, cut it in half, and mailed the pieces back to him in Florida. What total b.s.!! Oh, and then there's the mailman who plays twenty questions every time the VA mails me meds (non-controlled meds). "It looks like medication," he said to me once. No sh#% sherlock, I thought. None of his daggone business. Who the hell does he think he is? It's nothing shady---it says freakin VETERANS AFFAIRS in big bold letters on it along with "U.S. Veteran Shipment".

I hate the post office. I despise them. They're lazy, incompetent fools collecting government wages far beyond what they deserve in a job with more security than is warranted by their actions. I read in the New York Times that USPS will default this winter unless they receive massive relief from the federal government. If they default, they shut down completely. Far as I'm concerned, good. Between thieving, amoral maggots who steal my meds, jack-ass interrogators who butt into my business and play 20 questions, incompetent idiots who leave my mail at the wrong house or in the wrong box, unapologetic jerks who shrug off a lost package of mine as no big deal not even worth an apology, misdirected and missent packages, and overpaid delivery boys funded by taxpayer money in amounts that are way over what they deserve, I hope the postal system fails.

Meanwhile, Fedex, a company I've grown to love, continues to come through time and time again, with a superior tracking system, devoted professionals who can be trusted, carefully handled and properly sorted mail that arrives when it should, has surpassed the postal service in every conceivable fashion except for with snail mail type letters.
    Like Pibbles liked this post

@QVC1212 - Sheesh, tell us how you *really* feel!

As you and I have discussed before, the only problem with the private couriers (anyone other than USPS) is that they can open your package whenever and wherever they like until it is in your possession, without probable cause or a warrant. I'll grant you USPS is a goat-rope in the third degree, but at least they have to follow the law.
    Like QVC1212, Keith K Stone, Jazie liked this post
    Gone is the soldier, gone to the wars...

kineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant future

How right you are@QVC1212! Everytime I pay extra for 2 day priority,it takes 3 or 4 days.Waiting in line is also a regular occurance that takes much longer than it should.My mail carrier used to show up at a relatively consistent time,but lately it has been unpredictable as to when I can expect to get my mail. I will use other methods of shipping from now on,and also hand delivering my payments for utility bills;Which will be my contribution to the demise of the postal system.Maybe NASA could help them out by cutting back on the massive expenses of their boastful rocket program.
    Like QVC1212 liked this post

nwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by QVC1212 View Post

Personally, I don't care if USPS cuts overnight shipping. I avoid USPS like the plague. I have a PO Box, one I'm about to let expire anyway, and they've screwed up more times than I can count. Not once, but twice, I have had an "overnight" shipment come from a friend in a town that is only a three and a half hour drive away from where I live arrive not the next day but two days after the fact. TWO DAYS! For overnight! Each time, the package got diverted to Detroit by mistake, where it took a one-day vacation before continuing on to where I live. No refunds to my friend, and no apologies to me. That's total crap. That has never happened with Fedex, ever. With Fedex, overnight means overnight, unless there's a damn hurricane or cataclysmic event on a massive scale. And that's just for starters. Then there was the extremely important package full of very expensive, hard to find meds sent to me from my friend in Houston, TX using priority mail. Priority mail is supposed to be, well, priority. Like, faster than regular, and for damn sure isn't supposed to get lost. So what happens? I check tracking online, and it says "delivered". I show up at the post office, check my PO box: nothing. I inquire at the front desk: nothing. She says comes back the next day to talk to "Ralph" the higher-ranking guy (by the way, this is a main branch post office in a reasonably sized city, not a rinky dink office in podunk, MI) which is outrageous in my view, but I do it anyway. He checks all over, has clerks check all over, and even though the package scanned as "delivered", there's no sign of my damn package! What happened? I demanded to know. "I don't know," he said, and shrugged, as if it were no big deal. Could he investigate? No, he said. It's not here, and he didn't know where it was. How the hell did it get scanned as delivered, I demanded. I don't know, he offered, like the idiot he was. Three-hundred dollars worth of meds I desperately needed, gone, just like that. You know what really pissed me off? No one, not the clerk, not the manager, not "Ralph" the in-house package detective, offered me an apology. How about, "I'm sorry we screwed up?" Is that so hard. Then, for international packages from the West Pacific area, not once, but twice, an EMS (express mail service, allegedly high priority) package was missent to Montana. I guess Michigan and Montana both have "M's" so of course what's the difference, right? Then, there was the time my Grandpa sent me a check via regular snail mail, for three-thousand dollars, to pay for my car repair that I desperately needed. He sent it from Florida to Michigan. It usually takes 4 days, 5 at the most. Two weeks passed, and there was nothing. The repair was finished, and I had no money to get the car. 3 more days passed. Finally, giving up on the post office once again, I went back to my Grandpa to beg him to wire the money to me instead, promising to void and then destroy the check if it arrived, which I expected it wouldn't. So he wired the money. A full three weeks and six days after mailing the letter, the damn letter showed up in the mail box. 3 weeks and six days!!! What the hell happened to it that it took so long! I followed his instructions and voided the check, cut it in half, and mailed the pieces back to him in Florida. What total b.s.!! Oh, and then there's the mailman who plays twenty questions every time the VA mails me meds (non-controlled meds). "It looks like medication," he said to me once. No sh#% sherlock, I thought. None of his daggone business. Who the hell does he think he is? It's nothing shady---it says freakin VETERANS AFFAIRS in big bold letters on it along with "U.S. Veteran Shipment".

I hate the post office. I despise them. They're lazy, incompetent fools collecting government wages far beyond what they deserve in a job with more security than is warranted by their actions. I read in the New York Times that USPS will default this winter unless they receive massive relief from the federal government. If they default, they shut down completely. Far as I'm concerned, good. Between thieving, amoral maggots who steal my meds, jack-ass interrogators who butt into my business and play 20 questions, incompetent idiots who leave my mail at the wrong house or in the wrong box, unapologetic jerks who shrug off a lost package of mine as no big deal not even worth an apology, misdirected and missent packages, and overpaid delivery boys funded by taxpayer money in amounts that are way over what they deserve, I hope the postal system fails.

Meanwhile, Fedex, a company I've grown to love, continues to come through time and time again, with a superior tracking system, devoted professionals who can be trusted, carefully handled and properly sorted mail that arrives when it should, has surpassed the postal service in every conceivable fashion except for with snail mail type letters.
    I had some Dolophine sent to me from Florida... I was in extreme pain and going through withdrawal.
    Sent priority when I told my friend to send overnight; his mistake due to his ignorance that most people have thinking Priority is actually priority; and btw guys... it is sent the same way as 1st class.

Anyway, it came a full 31 days later, when I had found out about Tramadol via OP's.
    Withdrawals and pain gone.

I actually look at that as blessing.

Also, had a similar incident where my father sent me a check for $500 to help for rent and other things since I was laid off for a month.

It never ever showed up.
    Ever.
    He finally agreed to western union me the money, but only sent me $200.

It took a lot to convince him, he was sure I was running a scam or something...

Oh, and yeah, when I called USPS about both of them they told me that I should just keep wating; it might show up, it might not... and if it doesn't, your fault, you should have had a tracking number and insurance.

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 6 minutes after the last post:*

I agree with you on that too, @Wheels46 -- but the private companies are following the law as well.

You are entering a contract when you send anything and in that contract it states you waive those rights.

I don't give a shit if they were to open it anyway; and I will say the one time I had my meds lost by FedEx -- they asked what was in it -- I was wary, but told them it was important medication -- and they then seemed to try even harder to make sure they found it -- and kept in touch with me every single time they found more info -- my package was located within 4 hours of being lost, and they even gave me Saturday delivery to make up for THEIR mistake... they didn't say "Oh well, lololol, you shoulda bought insurance and shit, so yeah, lololol sucks to be you!"

Not to mention, FedEx has free $100 insurance...

You get what you pay for.

But don't we pay enough to the Govt anyway?

I am sure I can speak for others when I say -- We have no problem paying taxes -- so long as we know what they're being used for, and know they are being used wisely.

Extending unemployment, I understand -- but extending it because Jack and Jill won't take a cut in their standard of living because "Shit, I make more on unemployment than if I were to work at the jobs I CAN find!"

I am one of the nameless faceless wage slaves that work in a factory getting ridiculously low pay, destroying my body for $320 a week, which is only $240 after taxes... 40 hours, exacerbated back problems, new tendinitis and carpal tunnel symptoms, burns and cuts and scrapes all over my young but tired body...

So that I can have $20 to save or spend on luxury a week?

It's ridiculous...

Anyway, /end rant.

Thank God I have a job.
    Thank God I have a wonderful woman.
    Thank God I have an apartment.
    Thank God I am no longer strung out, hungry, and sad.

I have heard a lot of chatter about USPS shutting down Saturday delivery as well.
    Last edited by nwoh; 09-16-2011 at 12:51 AM.
    Like QVC1212, kineticode liked this post

I dont think this is a rumor, i think its fact. No more overnight. I'm sure this is going to affect all of you who buy meds over the internet. If the Postal Service goes under it'll then affect all of you who buy from IOP's. Bottomline, this is a step in a direction most of you arent going to be happy with.

8. USPS: Postal Service Proposes End To Overnight Mail Delivery, Cuts To Processing Centers

Seems like overnight shipping will probably go, then more things I suspect. The world is becoming digital, no more optical drives, no paper, maybe medicine will eventually be some sort of phillip k. dick crazy digital scan or cpu made object rx'd through a skype type call. People will no longer have time for old school ways of driving and visiting doctors, waiting could become a thing of the past. but yeah, i've had my share of problems with usps and I hope they stay around longer, UPS and Fedex seem quite a bit more expensive.

9. USPS: Postal Service Proposes End To Overnight Mail Delivery, Cuts To Processing Centers

The only folks this will affect for the most part are those that do not plan ahead.

Honestly I heard it on my local news station. I wish that I had a link for you but it was on the television.

They are planning to eliminate 35,000 jobs. They are planning to eliminate 50% of processing centers over the next 2 years. They are proposing to end overnight mailing of letters, magazines and postcards in other words first class mail will not have overnight delivery but 2 day delivery. My neighbor is a postal carrier with 25 years under his belt and very union-protected. They should just eliminate the whole operation and privatize it anyway.

Anxiously_waiting will become famous soon enoughAnxiously_waiting will become famous soon enough

they,ve been saying that they're gonna get rid of saturday deliveries for like 2 years now, and i still hasnt happened. it even tells you about it on their website. I dont think overnight is going away anytime soon. Same with the saturday delivery thing, its not going anywhere either.

Keith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond repute
    Keith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond repute
    There is no way the USPS is going to discontinue overnight express mail.
    It is the most profitable product that they offer. But then again seeing as how goofy the Postal Service is, maybe they will stop offering express mail, It wouldn't be the first time that they shot theirselves in the foot!221554e740c23cd610 - USPS to get rid of overnight shipping.
    Like Cranberry, cajunbulldog, Peaches liked this post
    RUN, RABBIT, RUN!

Overnight express mail is not what's going to be eliminated. First class mail for envelopes, magazines, and postcards will be two day instead of one...so they can eliminate a full 8 hour third shift. Keith is absolutely correct. They make money on overnight express. They lose money sorting thousands of envelopes and magazines for next day delivery.
    Like riverstyx liked this post

15. Overnight delivery usually means 2 days in almost all cases.

Priority mail and flat rate shipping are very good IMO.
    Like riverstyx liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by QVC1212 View Post

Same Trouble in my neck of the Woods@Scully007. You're right, lazy, incompetent and overpaid. We had a great mailman, for 15 years, all was well, he retired, good for him...BAD for us. Now, the mail doesn't arrive til way past 5pm. What? It was always here by noon before, and he won't get his lazy butt out of that funny looking truck to come get the Bills hanging on the Box by the Door (my Mom-In-Law is disabled and qualifies to have a Box by the door instead of on the curb) unless he has something to deliver. I called the 800#, mad as heck, they told me that he wasn't required to pick up our outgoing mail unless he had a delivery to our house. I was speechless.

Seems like the other Courier Services, plus everyone communicating on-line and via cell phone have almost put them out of business. If they raise stamp prices again, I may just run screaming down the street.

Rant over,

Pibbles
    Like QVC1212, cajunbulldog, riverstyx liked this post
    Be Well In All Things

Keith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond repute
    Keith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond reputeKeith K Stone has a reputation beyond repute
    @Pibbles
    The USPS will raise stamp prices again.
    Seeing as they have a monopoly on first class mail, what's a person to do?
    When stamp prices are raised, please video tape yourself running & screaming down the street, this would be very amusing.
    Like cajunbulldog, Pibbles, Peaches liked this post
    RUN, RABBIT, RUN!

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

@Keith K Stone I also anticipate a rise in stamp sales. What else can they do to drive up revenue quickly? Still, it would probably take a drastic rise in prices to compensate them for the kind of debt and trouble they're in, even with help from the federal government. I went a little over the top in my criticism of U.S. mail, as I don't ever want it to go away, it's just that I've had a lot of bad experiences with them. Wheels46 pointed out that they at least have to obey the law when it comes to opening packages though, and there's something to be said for that. If they raise prices of stamps again though I'll be pissed (when am I not pissed? ha ha) it's already like what, half a dollar for one stinking letter? Ridiculous if you ask me. It's only going to force people to pay more bills over the phone and email, and communicate using electronics, which will in turn force them to raise prices again, and this cycle will continue until, well, I don't know.
    Helpful cajunbulldog Rated helpful
    Like Keith K Stone, riverstyx liked this post

crucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond repute
    crucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond repute
    I have a P.O. Box and cannot count how many times they've put another person's mail in my box. Just a few days ago, my box was stuffed full of mail and I was wondering WTF was going on, because I never get much mail to my PO. After further inspection, I realized these were payments to a utility company that had been placed in my box. There were at least 10-15 of them. I turned them in to the postal clerk, but someone else could have just trashed them, ya know? Luckily, my mail has never ended up lost, but that is probably because I don't get much, as I mentioned before.