Thread: Is my package stuck in USPS?

Default Is my package stuck in USPS?

I have a package coming to US from the UK via Airsure. On Sunday, the status updated to "Processed through USPS Sort Facility" in Bethpage, NY. That's a few hours from me, so I expected it to be here by Tuesday at latest.

But it's now Thursday and I still haven't gotten anything, and the status hasn't updated at all. It should take 2 days for a package to get from NY to where I live, and probably less if it was already in the sort facility. I called USPS today to inquire as to where the package is, and I was told there's nothing they could do. They said that the sender has to put a request through the origin post...but the problem is evidently on USPS' end, not Royal Mail's end.

What could be the problem here? Is it correct that it being processed through Bethpage means it got through customs? As far as I know there's no real reason for USPS to be having delays right now (no inclement weather and the holiday shipping season hasn't really started yet) so it seems that something must be up. Is there anywhere else in USPS I could contact where they might be able to help me?

Thanks.

crucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond repute
    crucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond repute
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd be willing to bet you receive your package in the next couple of days.
    True friends stab you in the front. -- Oscar Wilde

cajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant future

Dumb fools probably misplaced it.Give it a few more days for them to pull their head out of their butts. They should be paid piece rate then the mail would probably improve.
    Like waterlogged, crucibelle, Kat0711 liked this post

4. How big was the package? the USPS here has some rather large doors to handle most large packages but who knows, some could get stuck in there. (sorry i'm board)
    Like Carter liked this post

Threads with this theme are becoming commonplace on here. I've said it before, I'll say it once more - EXPECT DELAYS, this is now the norm. USPS is on the ropes financially and they have closed down many locations and consolidated operations, while trimming staff. As a result, the remaining sort facilities are typically further away from the locales they service and they are handling greater volume. Most USPS Priority shipments I get now have at least one, and more often, two day delays. My last shipment from the UK took 13 days; previously, UK shipments would be at my door in exactly 9 days, like clockwork.

I'm in the same boat with you, had a package that has been "processed through sort facility in Jamaica, NY 11430" for three days now and still no update. It'll get here, but anyone's guess as to when.

As a good rule of thumb, I now assume a one or two day delay for EACH USPS sort facility through which a given shipment passes; for ******** shipments, this can mean 2 to 4 days delay, since ******** deliveries must pass through two sort facilities before they reach my town.

PS...why the f* is the forum software flagging the word o-v-e-r-s-e-a-s????
    Last edited by GreenThumb; 10-28-2011 at 08:20 PM.
    Like Kexessa liked this post

Feefee will become famous soon enoughFeefee will become famous soon enough

I doubt that there is an issue. USPS is just very slack and they ship so slow. I had an item in customs for 30 days. I thought for sure I wasn't going to get it.

noonday will become famous soon enoughnoonday will become famous soon enoughnoonday will become famous soon enough

@dayton,

ditto ditto and ditto to what the other members are saying.

My thought: Sometimes packages are seized by customs and you may or may not ever get official or unofficial word of that, as in you may get a LL, the tracking may show that the package as been detained, or you just may never get it and receive no notification at all until the tracking number just no longer appears in the system.

On a different and additional note that is rarely mentioned here, especially since so many of us (myself included) have major qualms and frustrations to put it mildly with the various postal services (USPS especially), I stand firm in believing that a package--or piece of mail for that matter--is almost NEVER just lost. It might be delayed, tracking info may not reflect reality or it may get seized, but save the seizure USPS does a pretty darn good job in my opinion of not flat out losing mail. If your address is correct both in situ proper and/or your PO Box is valid, it is highly unlikely that the package will not show up. In other words, barring the extenuating circumstance above, the USPS does not just lose mail.

My kind advice is to just be patient and confident that you will be delivered one day soon. Good luck.

P.S. Yes, the "processed through sort facility" means your package has cleared customs.

Let us know if you get it tomorrow.

And when you do get it, look skyward for a rainbow.
    Helpful crucibelle Rated helpful
    Like Kexessa, Kat0711 liked this post

I swear, USPS tracking is the worst. I've had tracking show "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" as an update when I have a package sitting in my mailbox. I've also had the "Processed Through Sort Facility" when again it's already arrived.

And I've had practically minute by minute tracking when I knew it's exact location.

I've seriously give up on checking USPS tracking. All it does is frustrate me. If I receive an email with tracking number, I let whoever worry about it and just chart it on my calendar on when I should expect it, depending on it's shipping location. Much less worry and frustration.
    Helpful crucibelle, makaibud Rated helpful

9. It's possible USPS mishandled the package and sent it to Alaska. If that were the case, it would eventually reach you but it would take a few more days than usual.

I'm discovering I'm fortunately placed concerning my mail. I live 90 minutes away from the customs and postal processing warehouse. Once it clears customs, it will almost always arrive in 1 to 3 days--usually 2 days and never, so far, more than 9 days.
    This month an order from the UK posted by them on Monday will be in my hands Friday or Monday. Canada Post does not deliver on Saturdays or Sundays. I've had two orders in my hands 3 days after "posting" in U.K.

I didn't get anything yesterday and tracking hasn't updated either. If I don't see anything tomorrow i'll have to call them again.

11. Hey @dayton,

I've received packages thru Airsure then USPS and for me tracking has always said "At sort facility _blank_" until it arrives at my door, it's frustrating but I always get them in the end

Yeah, I know that. It's rare that tracking is completely accurate...between the local sort facility, local post office, and delivery itself, at least one of those isn't scanned. (Local PO usually seems to scan "arrived at unit" though.) I've even had one package that apparently had the tracking number removed from it, even though it scanned in the US. I guess i wouldn't be concerned if they weren't taking over a week to move a first-class package (within the US) that should have taken 2 days tops.

Thanks everyone for the replies though!

13. I do think it's really lame/strange that it's so close to you and you still don't have it, that has never happened to me. I hope you get it soon. . . like tomorrow.

14. do not trust the USPS. I have done this and been let down many times but they eventually always came through. If it says Sort for Processing give it a week or so.

Still nothing in my mailbox or in tracking. I called USPS and they actually said they're going to look into it and I should hear from them in the next couple of days. Hopefully they take care of it soon!
    Like noonday liked this post

A month and a half later, the package never arrived, shipping status didn't update, and the USPS wasn't of any help. I was able to get the place I ordered from to reship, and also placed an order through another UK site. Both items were shipped by Airsure and got to me less than a week after they were shipped (although they went through a different sort facility on the east coast). So they seem to be fast at getting international packages through customs these days...the Bethpage one must have just been an isolated incident.

I'm still wondering if this item might just show up at my door one of these days. (Not that it really matters much since I got the reship and it's fine now.) It seemed like they must have just lost it and that it would wind up within a few weeks, but now it seems more likely that it got stolen or destroyed.
    Last edited by dayton; 12-03-2011 at 12:26 AM.